X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pre Classic Men's 400m (Non DL)

Originally posted by Tuariki
    Originally posted by JumboElliott
    At this point, 43.9 seems to be about Kirani's speed limit, and he has to perfectly execute a race to run it. Maybe that'll change in the future.
    An observation with no basis in logic. Of the 8 runners in front of him on the all time list every one of them improved on their pre 22nd birthday best times. Given that James is still only 21 it seems ridiculous to suggest he has already reached his peak.
    By Jumbo's logic Merritt should hang up his spikes and retire, because clearly Jumbo can't have any great expectations of any improvement from Merritt.
    Huh?

Neither Lee Evans or Steve Lewis improved after 22. Evans for obvious reasons, but people surely thought that Steve Lewis would improve as he was 19 in Seoul. Another, Quincy Watts, had just turned 22 when he set his personal best. The 400 is a young man's event With the exception of Michael Johnson, who is the greatest of all time, and ultimately, an anomaly, the Olympic Champions since 1984 have been 19, 22, 20, 22, 19, and 22.

Also, I qualified my statement saying that maybe it will change in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by mal
      They both ran within 1000 of a second. Pretty good at this stage of the season. I think KJ is far more talented and the WR is within his reach with a bit of the right work.
      Huh? What is the basis for 'far more talented'? I am not sure that there is any 400m runner ever that deserves that description (relative to LM), but unless you are expecting (rather than thinking it is an outside possibility) that he will run a 42.x I think that 'far more' is simply wrong. He might be far more talented than some very good 44.5 guys but not someone that has LMs resume.

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235
        Originally posted by mal
        They both ran within 1000 of a second. Pretty good at this stage of the season. I think KJ is far more talented and the WR is within his reach with a bit of the right work.
        Huh? What is the basis for 'far more talented'? I am not sure that there is any 400m runner ever that deserves that description (relative to LM), but unless you are expecting (rather than thinking it is an outside possibility) that he will run a 42.x I think that 'far more' is simply wrong. He might be far more talented than some very good 44.5 guys but not someone that has LMs resume.
        A resume is put together by someone who is looking for work.

I think KJ has some work to do if he joins that group of runners who 'could have' but didn't set the record. KJ and LM are at different ends of their career. So far its down to parameters to determine who had a better career, if it all ended today. Their times are almost the same. One faster slightly outdoor, the other indoor. Perhaps its the 'far' more that upsets you, so I can agree.

And of course the streets are paved with fast teenagers who never kicked on. But put medals in the cupboard.

Comment

43.9 is a speed limit.......!

Did I read right?

Comment

Saying that 43.9 is around his limit at this point is his career is sort of like saying a Ferrari only goes 215 MPH.

Comment

Working...
            X