Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sacto Kings Owners To Promote USATF Champs

The story about SacSports teaming with the NBA's Kings marketing people to promote the National Championships was in Today's Top Headline.

Yes, our sport needs all the marketing and promotion help it can get, but did anyone else pause to wonder about the timing of this announcement? Although the meet was only awarded to Sacramento 7 months ago, one would think that the marketing team is now entering the home stretch, executing on a promotions strategy that has been planned for months. How much impact can this four week "marketing partnership" have?

On the other hand if the Kings promotion machine is possibly a part of Sacramento's plans to bid on future events, then their participation in this year's meet makes complete sense. And while that might not seem like enough of a reason to issue a press release, I am happy if such an announcement generates more awareness among potential ticket-buyers for the 2014 Championships.

Re: Sacto Kings Owners To Promote USATF Champs

True.It's a little late in the game for marketing & promotions with Nationals just weeks away. ops:
    "Sprintin' ain't easy,baby !

Comment

Originally posted by fourjz
      True.It's a little late in the game for marketing & promotions with Nationals just weeks away. ops:
      Why? Make it fresh in the minds of local sports fans and maybe some will turn up.

Comment

Originally posted by gm
        Why? Make it fresh in the minds of local sports fans and maybe some will turn up.
        Most sports fans plan their attendance well in advance of events. For some reason our sport is hung up on only doing PR a week or 2 in advance hoping that bored people w/ nothing else to do will attend. Our calendering and marketing is an absolute joke. We'll never be more than an afterthought until we change the basic MO. For example, I know when Penn Relays is next year and can make plans today should I wish to attend. I have no idea when the NY Diamond League meet is and won't until much later in the year. No acceptable reason for that.

Comment

Has long been my understanding that walkup crowds are of immense import to most sports. This is a good move by the Sacto people.

Any "real" track fans will have decided to go or not long ago, yes, but it's not the real fans that are needed; it's Joe Sixpak. And hitting him relatively close to decision time makes good marketing sense to me.

Comment

Originally posted by gm
            The marketing & promotions should have started as soon as the announcement was made nationally in the usual trade magazines.T & F News,Runners World,etc.Then regionally at all the big Meets like Penn,Mt.SAC,Stanford,Texas,Florida,and Drake Relays,etc.Then sub-regional in California,Oregon,Washington,Nevada,Utah,and Arizona.Then a big push at the high school state meets across the country going on since late April until this friday & saturday at the California State Meet in Fresno,CA(Clovis) with onsite promotional booths.Then local Sacramento,and San Francisco Bay Area Print,radio,and TV paid & free media.That creates a buzz that builds,rather than last minute desperation promotion.And believe it or not this does'nt take a huge budget.Just planning. :mrgreen:
            "Sprintin' ain't easy,baby !

Comment

Originally posted by gm
              And believe it or not this does'nt take a huge budget.
              I don't believe it. Nothing is cheap any more.

Comment

Working...
              X