Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kiprop, Sum and Chemos not allowed to run at Rome or Oslo

Due to poor recent performances, Athletics Kenya has disallowed Kiprop, Sum, and Chemos from competing in the Rome or Oslo Diamond League meetings. I guess they set their bar high, here's a link from the front page:

http://www.nation.co.ke/sports/athletic ... index.html

The article says that they are "barred from Diamond League meetings indefinitely" but that is hard to believe.

Re: Kiprop, Sum and Chemos not allowed to run at Rome or Osl

How exactly does that work? Cuba hasn't been able to keep Robles from competing, so why can the Kenyans do it?

Comment

This is unbelievable! I understand in the case of people like Milcah Chemos who was very disappointing in her two outings (she even retired in Eugene) but:

Asbel Kiprop: ran a "disappointing race" in Eugene because of a very fast first lap but still ran 3.50 fading at the end. He anchored team Kenya to gold one week before and ran a great 1500 in Doha.

Alfred Kipketer: in his first big race with the older athletes the WY champion ran 1.46, his second best ever effort after his record raced in Kenya.

Lydia Chepkuruy: not in shape but was not great either during the indoor season.

Purity Kirui: not in bad shape.

James Magut: was fifth in Eugene running a PB.

Collins Cheboy: ran a PB in Eugene.

Eunice Sum: unbeaten at 800m (her event), ran a PB in the 1500m in Eugene... and these are telling me she can't compete in Rome in her event? These are crazy.

Comment

Don't understand!
        Aren't they professionals?
        Don't they, and their agents/coaches determine where & when they'll race?
        How does the Federation play into this?
        That would be like USATF saying Athlete X can't compete because they finished 5th in the last DL.

I'd tell Kenya to shove it up their stupid ass, then race or compete anywhere I felt like it, and at any meet that invited me!!

Or move to Qatar!! :P

Comment

Aaron, remember that you grew up in the US, and your standards of personal freedom reflect a broader set of choices than many places...

Comment

To me it seems that the only thing the national governing body can do is keep them off of future national teams, and I suppose if they really wanted to get heavy-handed, I suppose they could get the Kenyan government to yank their passports and not allow them to leave the country. Short of that, if the athletes are willing to defy the Athletics Kenya, this is much ado about nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Sasuke
              Asbel Kiprop: ran a "disappointing race" in Eugene because of a very fast first lap but still ran 3.50
              And if he'd run a completely worthless 3:52, he would just have been shot and chucked in the river.

Stunningly crazy…. :shock:

Comment

Originally posted by kuha
                Originally posted by Sasuke
                Asbel Kiprop: ran a "disappointing race" in Eugene because of a very fast first lap but still ran 3.50
                And if he'd run a completely worthless 3:52, he would just have been shot and chucked in the river.

Stunningly crazy…. :shock:
                Indeed. This is nothing but craziness! But he said he would be in Rome and run anyway. I hope he runs 3.28 and proves them how much they are wrong!

Comment

Wouldn't surprise me if this was about money. Maybe someone in Kenya would like a little more of the DL cake and the athletes aren't willing to transfer more.

Comment

Originally posted by norunner
                    Wouldn't surprise me if this was about money. Maybe someone in Kenya would like a little more of the DL cake and the athletes aren't willing to transfer more.
                    Extremely likely.

Comment

They're still on start lists! Barring Kiprop is beyond insane; he could run sub 3.30 again. I agree this is obviously a corruption issue, not a performance issue. Talk about shooting oneself in the foot!

Comment

Multiple articles floating around on this topic. This one says Kiprop fully intends to run in Rome.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201406040078.html
                        (which is linked on the front page as "Kiprop to Run Rome Despite Threat"

I do believe the article that started the thread is a few hours newer, but I am not sure that the athletes pulling out of Rome is a done deal.

Comment

I saw a tweet a few hours ago that said that the ban had been rescinded, but I haven't found any confirmation of that on the web.

Comment

Working...
                          X