Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home page story on firing

http://fittish.deadspin.com/running-coa ... 1585122341

Has this been discussed here? I find it...wow.

Re: Home page story on firing

It smells like a pretext to me. Normally, this sort of crap is a smokescreen for what is really happening.

Comment

I know Jeff Potter but did not know he was AD at St Gregory. He has bounced around. Asst at OSU, Head Coach at OBU (across street from St G) Coached OBU to National Ch several years ago....fired the next season for failing to submit teams entry..
      Jeff can be "spontaneous" but this action seems unrealistic/irrational... sumpin else goin on.

Comment

Has to be more to this though it is surprising that the coach would miss the conference meet for the marathon. Still, the AD had opportunity to tell him that he shouldn't go and did not make that clear. Getting pissed that a kid stays home longer than they want while mourning his granddad sounds like something a psychopath would think.

Comment

Originally posted by booond
          Has to be more to this though it is surprising that the coach would miss the conference meet for the marathon.
          I think that you misread the article. He did not miss the conference meet for the marathon. He missed a practice early in the week that the conference meet was held.

It seems to me that there is more to the story than meets the eye. Either there is some other reason that they wanted to fire him, and knew could possibly lead to huge legal issues, or the AD is a psychopath. With only a little of the story, it is tough to figure out what is going on.

Comment

Originally posted by mcgato
            Originally posted by booond
            Has to be more to this though it is surprising that the coach would miss the conference meet for the marathon.
            I think that you misread the article. He did not miss the conference meet for the marathon. He missed a practice early in the week that the conference meet was held.
            Sorry about that. Completely misread that portion. Not that I agreed with the AD anyway.

Comment

Given the mindless self-serving statements of justification by St Gregory's President Main and Athletic Director Dr Potter, one suspects that they were probably abused altar boys, and that they have harbored a lifelong resentment going back to the altar, a resentment that has now been taken out on a successful, ;popular and well adjusted young track coach and runner.

If this happened in New Zealand our Employment Relations Act would see St Gregory's heavily fined and Matt Aguero ordered to re-instated. But then (until the recent elevation of Francis) the Catholic Church has hardly been renowned as an institution that actually has the best interests of its flock at heart.

Comment

Thanks for locking the thread down. :?

Comment

Your comment on this story was ".....Wow"
                  Is that "....Wow" you agree with President Main and Dr Potter; or

is it "...Wow", and that you think the actions/statements by President Main and/or Dr Potter :

* were a pretext as per Dave
                  * were unrealistic/irrational as per lonewolf,
                  * sounded like something a psychopath would think as per booond
                  * or the AD is a psychopath as per mcgato

Given the accusations leveled against Aguero by Dr Potter it is indeed ironic to note that according to lonewolf he had apparently been fired for failing to submit teams entry.

If you subscribe to the concerns that Dave, lonewolf, booond and mcgato have, I do not see why my admittedly scathing observation about Main and Potter should lead to this thread being locked.

Having read the article, and the statement from President Main, and listened to the tape it is my opinion that there is little doubt that the only people who deserve to be fired over this matter are Dr Potter and President Main. If Matt Aguero goes to court over this, then St Gregory's and the Catholic Church are probably going to find their despicable treatment of Aguero will have been a very expensive exercise.

Comment

Well, part 5 of the forum guidelines does read:
                    I
                    If you want to discuss politics or religion, there are other sites far better equipped to handle your desires. Don't even think of getting into it here.
                    Your religiously charged hypothetical first paragraph = "getting into it here" I would think.

Comment

Working...
                    X