Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eaton World ranked in 400 hurdles?

What are the odds that Eaton will be ranked in the 400 hurdles? Which other decathletes have been world ranked in another event?

Re: Eaton World ranked in 400 hurdles?

Based on the season so far---and there's still 2 major regional championships, about 10 DL's, USATF, plus whatever else left to go---I'd say YES!

But a lot could happen in the next 3 months to change that!
    If Eaton continues to place high (or win!!), and lowers his times into the high-47's, low-48's, I'd say a definite YES!!

As for other multi's people being ranked, not sure, but I'm thinking JJK in the LJ and maybe the 200, 100H, and even in the 400H. (She ran the latter in 55.05 one year, and might have been US ranked for that!)

Comment

As I and others have posted numerous times, Milt Campbell tied Jack Davis's WR in 120 yd. H, at Compton Relays (late 50s); and Rafer Johnson made the Olympic team in LJ in 1960, but "only" competed in Decathlon, as he was injured.

I expect Bill Toomey's DecWR in the 400 would've ranked him as well.

Tim Bright was likely ranked in PV, if not while he was competing in Dec.

Edit: Oops, forgot the notso good Rev. Bob, who kept Bob Lawson (RIP) off 1956 Oly team by qualifying, then not competing due to undeclared injury.

Comment

Lots, if by ranked, you mean in T&FN World Rankings beginning in 1947. Off hand, you have Mathias, Mondschein, Richards, Miller.

Comment

He will likely have to run faster - 48.5 or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackaloupe
            I expect Bill Toomey's DecWR in the 400 would've ranked him as well.
            Definitely not. Because of synthetic tracks and altitude, 1968 changed the nature of the 400 and 45.6 season best wasn't good enough to get one to be considered as a candidate for a world ranking.

World Rankings for '68 (season best in parens):
            1. Lee Evans (43.86A)
            2. Larry James (43.97A)
            3. Ron Freeman (44.41A)
            4. Vince Matthews (44.4A, 44.64A)
            5. Amadou Gakou (45.01A)
            6. Martin Jellinghaus (45.06A)
            7. Wayne Collett (45.04A)
            8. Tegegne Bezabeh (45.42A)
            9. Andrjez Badenski (45.42A)
            10. Emmett Taylor (45.21)

Comment

How are we defining world ranked?

Top 10 performance?
              Top 10 DL ranking?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave
                How are we defining world ranked?

Top 10 performance?
                Top 10 DL ranking?
                On these boards, generally by the T&FN World Rankings (what the UK refers to there as merit rankings).

Regardless of a system, Toomey would not have been in a world top 10 in 1968.

Comment

Originally posted by dbirds
                  What are the odds that Eaton will be ranked in the 400 hurdles? Which other decathletes have been world ranked in another event?
                  C.K. Yang in PV.

Comment

Back in the day, quite a few top decathletes were also top throwers (Klumberg, Sievert, Bausch, Lipp, Miller etc.) and good throwers (like Sippala and Stöck) dabbled in the multis, but these days if decathletes are anywhere near the top it will be in a running or jumping event. I can't think of any good thrower-decathletes since Raimo Pihl in the mid-70s, and even he was never world ranked as a javelin thrower. It's been even longer since a top decathlete was also a shot putter or discus thrower.

That we no longer see decathletes who're also elite shot putters is probably not surprising, considering the bulk required. But given natural development over time, one'd still expect decathletes to be better throwers than they are now; even without any of the benefits of modern training regimes (or modern techniques), Lipp, Bausch and Sievert were better SPers than Eaton. The speed-based decathlete has always been around, but it seems the strength-based decathlete has pretty much vanished.

Any idea why? Is it just the speed bias of modern scoring tables?

Comment

Ya know why Eaton is da Man? He could be world-ranked in the Long Jump, 110 Hurdles and (I think) the Pole Vault, if he focused on them. I think he'd even have an outside shot at being world-class in the 100 and 400. Dat's why!

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                        Ya know why Easton is da Man? He could be world-ranked in the Long Jump, 110 Hurdles and (I think) the Pole Vault, if he focused on them. I think he'd even have an outside shot at being world-class in the 100 and 400. Dat's why!
                        LJ, he probably already is, 110h certainly a yes, 400 very likely with present training ... but 100m .. hmm. that would require serious one dimensional focus for a very long shot at a top10 ranking.

In short 400, 400h, 110h, LJ and PV, each one is doable. Maybe even two at same time. Any more than two of these and it is a very long shot.

Comment

Mike Herman was ranked #10 in the world in the LJ in 1958 and the Decathlon in 1959.

Tim Bright was ranked #10 in the world in the PV for 4 years in a row beginning 1988. he was ranked #10 in the world in the Decathlon in 1988.

Comment

Martin Lauer

Comment

Don Shy

Comment

Working...
                              X