• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Eaton World ranked in 400 hurdles?

Originally posted by user4
    Originally posted by gibson
    mexico city was so bogus. a myth.
    That is too harsh, actually Mexico City was a great meet and Evans and the rest performed fabulously.
    hey, my opinion is not absolute as i kind of implied.
    beauty is in the eye of the beholder, sure.
    some of the 68 performances were surely epic and dramatic.

where i'm coming from is that times in the sprints and jumps were warped positive the distance runs inversely negative.
    asking flatlanders to run at that altitude and bring home the bacon, that was inhumane.
    the infinitely underrated george young ran for steeple bronze, he definitely should have had another color...

as a junior, i was at the auckland marathon in 1977 was it?
    franco fava set the world record so it seemed and everyone ran a PB by 5 or more minutes.
    the crowd was ecstatic.

you see new zealand had witnessed the all time great 1500 where bayi and walker set the world record in 74 and everybody in the race set huge PB's.
    and it happened again! NOT.

metaphorically speaking, the point is would you like to believe that Fava ran the world's first 202? or would you like the goods?

:idea: From a Letsrun poster..
    Most infamous is the 1977 Choysa Auckland marathon. Organizers had secured big sponsorship from the Choysa Tea company enabling them to assemble a field worthy of an Olympic marathon. Australia’s Dave Chettle won a dramatic race by one second from Italy’s Franco Fava, 2:02:24 to 2:02:25, with the next 10 finishers also under Derek Clayton’s recognized world best of 2:08:33.

Fava had finished eighth in the 1976 Olympics; third-placed Ian Thompson of Britain was the Commonwealth champion and second-fastest ever at the time; New Zealand’s Kevin Ryan and Jack Foster, silver medallist behind Thompson, were next; 1976 Boston marathon winner Jack Fultz was ninth.

Almost immediately it was recognized the course had to be short. Some, including race organisers, were originally in denial, but as Fultz commented: “It’s a shame if the course is off _ and it has to be with those times. It’s a beautiful course and conditions were perfect.”
    Eventually, it was found to be just short of 40km." :!:

at the end of the day i think fava was indeed on record pace, maybe worth a 209.

Comment

Re: Eaton World ranked in 400 hurdles?

As this has to be one of the most sidetracked Threads extant, I'll at least bring it back to Eaton, whose ran a nifty 13.61 (W=-1.4) 4th place under reported wet/windy conditions, possibly w/ a soft track. Only favorable condition was Altitude, >1000m.

Lauf Hürdenhöhe: 1,067 m
      Wind: -1,4
      1. 556 RILEY Andrew 1988 JAM Jamaica 13.49 1./I
      2. 557 BAJI Balazs 1989 HUN Hungary 13.52 2./I
      3. 555 WILSON Ryan 1980 USA USA 13.55 3./I
      4. 558 EATON Ashton 1988 USA USA 13.61 4./I
      5. 552 OSAGHAE Omoghan 1988 USA USA 13.67 5./I
      6. 553 CRADDOCK Kevin 1987 USA USA 13.78 6./I

Comment

So, is he a world class 400MH guy now? Any guesses if he might change his mind and decide to run the 400mh next year while defending his Deca World championship?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
          So, is he a world class 400MH guy now? Any guesses if he might change his mind and decide to run the 400mh next year while defending his Deca World championship?
          Yes, he's a world class 400H guy now. A couple of races below 48.5 and he can be top 10 ranked this season.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
            We posted a piece to the front page in the last week or so in which he specifically said no to that.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
              We posted a piece to the front page in the last week or so in which he specifically said no to that.
              That is too bad. If the schedule had permitted it, it would have been fun to see him double at the World Championships. I would also guess that he might rather enjoy getting to compete more often.

Comment

The story in AI seemed to imply that Eaton will not run any more 400H this season, or maybe I'm reading between the lines. "He could become a world beater in this discipline if he concentrated on it but that's it for now and next year it's back to the decathlon for the World Champs."

"that's it for now" How would others interpret that, and if that's what they're saying, who told them that?
                Cheers,
                Alan Shank
                Woodland, CA

Comment

Eaton is down to run a 110mH at Naimette-Xhovémont meet in Belgium this Wednesday: http://www.sport.be/meetingliege/2014/eng/deelnemers/

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Shank View Post
                    The story in AI seemed to imply that Eaton will not run any more 400H this season, or maybe I'm reading between the lines. "He could become a world beater in this discipline if he concentrated on it but that's it for now and next year it's back to the decathlon for the World Champs."

"that's it for now" How would others interpret that, and if that's what they're saying, who told them that?
                    Cheers,
                    Alan Shank
                    Woodland, CA
                    I wasn't citing AI: I was citing this Agence-France Presse story posted to our front page

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/sports/418936/

in which it says

<<Ashton Eaton confirmed Friday that he would not compete in the decathlon and 400m hurdles at next year's world championships in Beijing…...

"It will be too difficult to compete in both the 400m hurdles and decathlon at next year's World Championships," Eaton acknowledged ahead of Saturday's Diamond League meet at the Stade de France in Paris.>

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
                      I wasn't citing AI: I was citing this Agence-France Presse story posted to our front page

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/sports/418936/

in which it says

<<Ashton Eaton confirmed Friday that he would not compete in the decathlon and 400m hurdles at next year's world championships in Beijing…...

"It will be too difficult to compete in both the 400m hurdles and decathlon at next year's World Championships," Eaton acknowledged ahead of Saturday's Diamond League meet at the Stade de France in Paris.>
                      I wasn't citing you, either. I was just quoting from AI. I wasn't referring to whether he would do the 400H in Beijing, but whether he would run any more 400H races THIS YEAR.

Cheers,
                      Alan Shank
                      Woodland, CA

Comment

Originally posted by dbirds View Post
                        What are the odds that Eaton will be ranked in the 400 hurdles?
                        I'm gonna take a wild guess and say he could be world-ranked as high as 6th!!

Comment

It was a pretty week event this year. I would have liked to see him run it some more times.

Comment

Working...
                          X