Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IAAF on Dragila

I hope this finally settles the issue (see final paragraph)

From the IAAF
    http://www.iaaf.org/GP04/news/Kind=2/newsId=25542.html

Dragila challenges again at the very top with 4.83 vault

While historic runs are becoming nothing less than expected from Bekele, Stacy Dragila has been pushed from the limelight in the Pole Vault by Russian rivals Yelena Isinbayeva and Svetlana Feofanova, her successors as World record holders.

So when Dragila successfully managed her third attempt at 4.83, the highest ever outdoor clearance, the reigning Olympic champion quickly thrust herself back into contention at the top of the Pole Vault heap, where she has spent much of her career.

"It was a little bit of a surprise," she said of her jump that added two centimetres to her national record. After run-throughs on her first two attempts, her clearance seemed unlikely. Indeed, it wasn't pretty, with her entire torso rubbing the bar, but it stayed.

"I felt a little sluggish, and it felt really effortless. It's kind of fun when it feels that way."  Dragila said that her early-season effort is by no means a peak and she continues her preparation for Athens. "I'm still working on my speed, and things are coming together nicely. I think that a lot of people thought I was finished last year and the year before."

NB. Yelena Isinbayeva (RUS) the current World record holder with 4.86m (set when winning the World Indoor title in Budapest this winter) who held the previous best ever outdoor mark of 4.82, sat out the competition with a cold.  

Re: IAAF on Dragila

>I hope this finally settles the issue

Whew! Thank God for that! I shall now be able to sleep at night!

Comment

>Whew! Thank God for that! I shall now be able to sleep at night!<

You can scoff all you want, but the sport is going to look pretty ridculous when almost every paper in the U.S. (and the world) is going to write about a world record that didn't happen.

Comment

can someone please explain the indoor outdoor rules as they apply to permanent or temporart board runways....this is the reason the mens record is only 614 when bubka went 615 indoors.
        is there still such a thing as an indoor world record even though we obviously dont have an outdoor wr anymore?

Comment

>the sport is going to look pretty ridculous when almost
          >every paper in the U.S. (and the world) is going to write about a world record
          >that didn't happen.

Monty, Gaines, Collins, White, Marion and Harrison are all being sent down and you think that an outdoor best being reported as a world record will make the sport look rediculous?? With all the doping stuff going on, I doubt 'outsiders' will care too much what the indoor / outdoor record status is. It's the cheats that are bringing our sport down, not the flaws in the rules.

Comment

>>the sport is going to look pretty ridculous when almost
            >every paper in the
            >U.S. (and the world) is going to write about a world record
            >that didn't
            >happen.
            I'd be surprised if it receives ANY coverage in the local newspaper around here (Alabama). If there ain't a football connection, forget it.

Comment

Working...
            X