Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asafa's first race back was in Lucerne, 10.30 3rd place

Jamaican sprinter Asafa Powell wasted no time getting back into the thick of the action a day after his doping ban was reduced, running a modest 10.30sec in the 100m at the Lucerne meeting on Tuesday. Powell, who along with fellow-Jamaican Sherone Simpson was told on Monday the Court of Arbitration in Sport had cleared him to run again, finished third behind compatriot Julian Forte, who won in 10.23, and Antoine Adams of St Kitts and Nevis, second in 10.29.
    Bolt's last year...and my last year as a track fan, it's been fun

Does he still have his contract with Li-Ning or did he loose it like Adidas dropped Gay?

Comment

Asafa looked real rusty in that race, and Sherone didn't look particularly good either.

Still, that's what you expect, when a sprinter comes back from a suspension....
      My heart is still in the Caribbean....

Comment

I can understand a 10.13, not a 10.30.

Comment

Originally posted by Dixon View Post
          I can understand a 10.13, not a 10.30.
          I think a 10.30 after a year of insecurity, no racing, a lot of distractions, losing sponsorship,etc is much more what you would expect than am athlete running 9.9x in his first race after a period like that. His first 60 was allright, after that he ran out of steam. Clearly a case of race-rust. Body hasn't been really pushed for over a year and the man is 31...not 21...so it takes a while to get the routine back.

I'm more worried about his form; he already had the problem with his upper body slightly twisted/hanging to the left since his continuing groin injuries, but it seems worse now. That doesn't bode well for an injury free 2nd carreer if he gets up to speed.

For the rest; he looks well conditioned to me. Slightly overweight for this part of the season, but I don't think he and Donovan worked towards whatever peak there may be this season. It's just about getting into some routine with racing/training again.

I think we won't see those 9.7's and low 9.8's again, but the man can still be a consistant 9.9x runner and earn a decent living for the nest 2-3 years.
          IT'S not heavy....YOU'RE heavy!

Comment

The times in Luzern were slow overall in all sprint events, and this race was run into headwind, so the performance wasn't as bad as it looks at first sight. In different conditions, with zero wind it could have been in the 10.1 territory, which wouldn't be half bad for first race after comeback.
            Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Tough year for Asafa. In addition to the year long uncertainty, he lost his sponsor as well as he parted with coach Francis who brought him fame/glory.

Read reports he is currently training in the US under the watchful eyes of his brother(former athlete) Donovan Powell.

Comment

Originally posted by Powell View Post
                The times in Luzern were slow overall in all sprint events, and this race was run into headwind, so the performance wasn't as bad as it looks at first sight. In different conditions, with zero wind it could have been in the 10.1 territory, which wouldn't be half bad for first race after comeback.
                But Forte's times this season have been around mid-10.1 with 0 wind. How does it follow that Powell's time -- roughly 0.1s slower -- would be 10.1 as well?

Comment

har77

I have lost all faith in the guy, if he's just going to be a lane filler, ok he has future.

Comment

allot can happen to a short dasher in 9 years.

Comment

Working...
                    X