Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An off-year and already they're writing about a sprinting recession? Lol!

These guys never learn, do they? Wait until the closing ceremony of the 2015 World Athletics Champs before you start making yet another hasty prediction....
    My heart is still in the Caribbean....

Comment

"In an almost unthinkable turn of events, the favorite to win the 100m at the Commonwealth Games, which begin on Wednesday, is a 29-year-old from Trinidad and Tobago."

LOL!
      My heart is still in the Caribbean....

Comment

Originally posted by shivfan View Post
        An off-year and already they're writing about a sprinting recession? Lol!

These guys never learn, do they? Wait until the closing ceremony of the 2015 World Athletics Champs before you start making yet another hasty prediction....
        Because that is how good the Jamaicans have been. Of course, with the two best 100 men out so far and the top two women in the 100/200 below their normal stellar level, of course it looks like a down year, especially when none of those at the next level in the 100/200 have made the sort of sudden leap forward that has been pretty common for Jamaica. Of course, Novelene has been at the top of the 400 heap over the first half. Thus, yes, clearly a decline from the stellar Jamaican ascendance of the last decade but too small and 'special' a circumstance (the one off year in the four-year cycle) to be very informative an any sort of 'trend'. More like a 'pause' to me. [And remember what the results looked like at the Penn Relays, which tells you what will be coming down the road soon enough.

I think it might be a good thing for Jamaica because it gives those second-tier and up-and-coming athletes a bit more space to gain attention and sponsorship.

Finally, when you look at what Jamaicans have been doing beyond the 100/200, including beyond the sprints, they have a broader representation at the international level than they probably have ever had before.

Comment

Working...
        X