Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 Ethiopian athletes missing since Sat morning

As noted by the Oregonian 4 team members went missing Sat am. 1 male and 3 female athletes. Interesting is the description that 1 or 2 are in their 20's! Perhaps they are seeking asylum and defected to Nike or adidas HQ in Portland. New US blood in the distances ala Meb and Lagat?

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/i...incart_m-rpt-1

I saw that story too....via twitter.
    Then MileSplit tweeted that maybe 1 or more of the missing was an Ethiopian 1500 woman.
    They speculated how this might affect the (then) upcoming 1500 final!!

Pretty crass, IMHO!!
    I even tweeted to them that I thought we should care more about their health, safety, and welfare....than about whether Efraimson & Cranny would be aided by their not being there (if that had been the case!!).

I hope they're okay!!

Comment

Originally posted by Track Blazer View Post
      As noted by the Oregonian 4 team members went missing Sat am. 1 male and 3 female athletes. Interesting is the description that 1 or 2 are in their 20's! Perhaps they are seeking asylum and defected to Nike or adidas HQ in Portland. New US blood in the distances ala Meb and Lagat?

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/i...incart_m-rpt-1
      So what is the latest from this situation ? Anyone know ?
      "Sprintin' ain't easy,baby !

Comment

Originally posted by fourjz View Post
        So what is the latest from this situation ? Anyone know ?
        Three of the 4 have been found in Beaverton.
        I think the other is known to be safe, but hasn't surfaced yet.
        I think they're staying with an Ethiopian family in Beaverton.

The police have said it's out of their hands now----their only mission was to find them.
        They've turned the case (of the ones found) to other authorities.

Just my opinion, but sounds to me like they're seeking asylum.

Comment

Originally posted by Track Blazer View Post
          As noted by the Oregonian 4 team members went missing Sat am. 1 male and 3 female athletes. Interesting is the description that 1 or 2 are in their 20's!
          The article linked to said: "The missing athletes include a 17-year-old boy and three women believed to be between ages 18 to 20."

That is not the same as "in their 20's". A later article said they were 17, and three 18-year-olds.
          Cheers,
          Alan Shank
          Woodland, CA

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk View Post
            Just my opinion, but sounds to me like they're seeking asylum.
            They will probably be wearing the stars and stripes in 2020 Olympics

Comment

One of the by-products of hosting a championship... Australia picked up a number of athletes in various sports from hosting WJ in 1996, OG in 2000 and Comm Games in 2006.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk View Post
                Three of the 4 have been found in Beaverton.
                The fourth has turned up in the State of Washington. Link on front page (scroll down).

Comment

Good to know these 4 are OK, at least as of now, though their situation I presume will remain in limbo for a while. I have learnt in this case that Ethiopians comprise one of the leading asylum-seeking groups in the USA. Perhaps I should have known that, but I didn't
                  until now.

As for the athletes, they and their athletics marks are:

Amanuel Abebe (Nov 1996) sprinter 10.99, 22.19
                  Dureti Edao (Apr 1996) middle distance 2:03.25, 4:15.91. Her 800m mark was from WYC last year, where she earned silver.
                  Zeytuna Mohammed ((Feb 1996) middle distance 2:01.6hA
                  Meaza Kebede (Apr 1996) 400m hurdles 1:00.00

Their marks are not of great importance to me relative to their safety and a hoped-for positive outcome of this case, but as this case developed in the athletics context, I was curious about their events and marks so looked them up & included them here. I wish them well.

Comment

Originally posted by AS View Post
                    One of the by-products of hosting a championship... Australia picked up a number of athletes in various sports from hosting WJ in 1996, OG in 2000 and Comm Games in 2006.
                    Do you recall who?

Comment

I think the nose busting, bronze medalling ex Cameroonian weightlifter was one of them from 2006

Comment

Working...
                      X