Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cladthin View Post
    Yes and the weightlifters and shot putters often have incredible acceleration abilities (due to their ability to not only produce the highest forces relative to other track and field events and high rates of force development being very important to overcome inertia) better than even the best sprinters over very short distances like 5-10m (up to 15m or so?). I think Gunthor still holds the world record for a standing long jump, possibly.
    Wikipedia says, "The record is now held by Norwegian Arne Tvervaag from Ringerike FIK Sportclub, who jumped 3.71 metres in Noresund on 11 November 1968."

The NFL uses the standing long jump at their combine and the longest on record is 11-7 or 3.53 meters

Comment

Originally posted by norunner View Post
      But Reese Hoffa is only around 6 feet tall, Vasili Alexejev was the same height and similar built i think. For rotation you don't need to be that tall.
      Adam Nelson, too, was only around 6' I think. As you say, the spinners can be more of a typical height of an elite WL. I'd say an exception to this would be Cantwell. The only guys I can recall from WL being that tall was the Bulgarian Cholakov who was about 6'6" and Iranian Salimi is about that height as well.

Comment

Originally posted by booond View Post
        Wikipedia says, "The record is now held by Norwegian Arne Tvervaag from Ringerike FIK Sportclub, who jumped 3.71 metres in Noresund on 11 November 1968."

The NFL uses the standing long jump at their combine and the longest on record is 11-7 or 3.53 meters
        I'd always heard Gunthor (Charlie Francis is one person who I think said this) jumped 12'4" (3.76m) though since these are no longer championship events most are likely gym performances (other than combine of course). I think Calvin Johnson holds the combine record.

Comment

More importantly didn't Gunthor HJ 7 feet?

Comment

Originally posted by cladthin View Post
            I'd always heard Gunthor (Charlie Francis is one person who I think said this) jumped 12'4" (3.76m) though since these are no longer championship events most are likely gym performances (other than combine of course). I think Calvin Johnson holds the combine record.
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03PJFuHNpZE

Jamie Collins

Comment

Originally posted by booond View Post
              Yeah just found that Calvin actually did 11'7" at his pro day rather than the combine.

Comment

Originally posted by AS View Post
                I never heard that one but after witnessing the video of him literally jumping around a gym up bleacher steps I could believe it. If so, I wonder what he was weighing at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Sasuke View Post
                  I agree on these two events, but their counterparts are not that great. The men discus is not bad, even if Malachowski never approached his monster throw from last year (71.84 if I recall well) and Harting competes rarely. The women shot is not great at all: no youngsters of a certain level, Adams not at her best, Kolodko never returned to 20+ form, Schwanitz at the moment doesn't seem to be great either... Gong stopped improving and I could go on...
                  Yup, women's SP is definitely going through a bad period. Last year's no. 10 was 18.81 - the worst since 1973! And this year so far is only marginally better at 18.87 (i.e. the second worst in the last 40 years).

Similarly, in the men's DT, 10th place on the world list last year was 65.98, the shortest since 1997, and this year is only very slightly better at 66.02.
                  Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Coach John Smith weighs-in on this one:
                    How the USA adapted in the Shot Put post-1995 and Why We Didn’t Adapt in the Discus

Comment

Originally posted by AS View Post
                      I vaguely recall a "documented" 2.00 jump for him from the days when he was a volleyball player, pre-putter.

Comment

Borja Vivas' 21.07: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EOFogLNXKXs

Comment

My mistake. Francis said that it was Al Feuerbach who did a SLJ of 12'4".

Comment

Another event with very poor overall standard is men's HT. The competition between Pars and Fajdek at the top may be exciting, but no. 10 on the world list is mere 78.27 - the lowest since 1982 :-/
                            Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

And no one under 48 in 400m hurdles. Hasn't happened since 1975!

Comment

Working...
                              X