Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When can 'YOU' jump in the WR 10K?

Here is something interesting to try. How late in the world record 10K could you 'jump into' the race and hang with the record holder? Average the total time as though he ran perfectly even splits. For those matematically challenged, I think 26:20 is about :63 per lap. As I get older, it is getting closer and closer to 'not a step', as I'm inside an 800 now. Use your lifetime PR's if necessary. I think this is a fun way to put personal perspective on just how amazing these records have become. Well, when can you jump in?

Re: When can 'YOU' jump in the WR 10K?

I think this is a fun way to put personal perspective on
    >just how amazing these records have become. Well, when can you jump in?

Now-a few steps followed by a massive physical breakdown.

In the day-maybe with a tad over 600 meters to go although the out of control flailing at the line would look ridiculous compared to Bekele.

Comment

MJD and I are equally matched--which, I fear, will distress him to no end. %-)

Comment

>MJD and I are equally matched--which, I fear, will distress him to no end. %-)
        >

Just pulled up the PR thread kuha-I'd have your number in anything beyond 600 meters though!

Comment

I'm absolutely certain you would!

Comment

I'll blast the last 100 meters with him.

Comment

15 yrs ago - two laps - now - one lap - but can probably still out High Jump him - at least in my mind

Comment

what's my 55 second 440IH gonna get me? Not much, I fear.

Comment

Hey tafnut, I'm right there with ya. 55.18 IH isn't going to carry me that far in a showdown with Bekele.

Comment

I'm sure I could go 800, and possibly 1k if I was willing to bust a lung.

Comment

If I ran a kilo in 2:40 I'd bust a lot more than a lung.

Comment

I do 9-10 minute miles now in my own recreational running...I'm almost 60, and am sure I couldn't stay with a 63 second 400 pace for even 100 meters!

The point of this thread is well taken...this is phenomenal running! The average person who has not run distance will not be able to appreciate a 26:20 10K any near like we old former distance runners can...my 10K PR is 32:49.4...and that was in 1969.

Comment

Put another way, how many back-to-back 16 sec 100ms could you run? Bekele managed 100 of them! It really does boggle the mind.

Comment

About 1/4 of one... Yes, the mind boggles...

Comment

I love this concept! When I was at school the track captain made an announcment before we all sat down to eat once about the fatatsic performance of one of our teamates in a recent meet at the 5K distance. The rest of the folks were resonably impressed and just ready to eat until Jon put the whole thing in perspective by breaking it down into 2 1.5 mile runs (plus a bit of course). Since everyone knew the relative difficulty of that "event" (we all had to run it twice a year for the physical readiness test) the ooos and ahhs abounded after Jon did the math!

Comment

Working...
                              X