Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unfair or not? [Rehm back in the news]

Paralympic Long Jump Champion Markus Rehm has not been selected for the German team for the European Championships despite winning the German Athletics Championships in 8.24m.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/31/sp...fair.html?_r=0
    Last edited by gh; 10-23-2015, 05:08 PM.

Bound to be controversial, sort of a no-win situation.
    But if WR's are nullified by equipment (Carlos' 200 meters in brush spikes) or facilities (Les Steers' 7-foot HJ off a spring loaded gym floor) irregularities then this might fall within those categories.

Comment

This is the Pistorius 'issue' all over again. There is no doubt that prosthetics COULD give an athlete an advantage, so it is 'better' to let them compete in Paralympic type events.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
        This is the Pistorius 'issue' all over again. There is no doubt that prosthetics COULD give an athlete an advantage, so it is 'better' to let them compete in Paralympic type events.
        Either that or allow them to compete with the "regular" folks and then put an asterisk beside their achievement. Yes, I'm certain that this will be even more controversial.

Comment

I don't know how to calcualte any real/theoretical advantange/disadvantage to the prothesis... and I suspect no one else does either.

Are seperate records kept in PV for bamboo, metal and fiberglass/carbon poles ? Of course the problem here is direct competition rather than eventual records.

My falliable instinct is that there is delayed resistance and absorption of energy in planting the spring loaded foot/leg...does the resulting propuision offset that ??

I don't know. I emphasize with and admire those athletes who want to compete while dealing with this dilemma but until someone smarter than me figures it out, I would not mix the competition..

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
            My falliable instinct is that there is delayed resistance and absorption of energy in planting the spring loaded foot/leg...does the resulting propuision offset that ??
            You answered your own question. Loading a spring does increase the propulsion by the factor of the tensile potential of the spring (which is why gymnasts jump so high on spring-loaded floors). Think pogo stick.
            There is also the problem of limb length. The blades can make one taller and faster.
            Then there's the lighter weight of the athlete, replacing body mass with a light-weight device.
            Some paralympians are superb athletes, so there is no denigration here, simply an acknowledgment of possible advantages over able-bodied athletes.

Comment

I believe the ruling is fair, mostly for the reasons stated in the above posts. It's impossible to determine exactly how much energy return a prosthetic might give. Also, I'm willing to bet each person's anatomy and the nature/degree of their loss of limb will have a different impact. Too many variables.
              You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

I obtained the results of the biomechanical study from the experts themselves E. Nixdorf & L. Mendoza.
                http://vazel.blog.lemonde.fr/2014/07...a-pas-a-leuro/
                It's in French so the main point is that they say that Markus Rehm managed to jump 8.24 (8.32 effective) with almost zero reduction of the COP’s energy during take-off (Christian Reif has 12 % reduction for his 8 m 20 jump for 2nd place). Also his run-up speed is the lowest among the 50 +8 m LJers for whom i have data. However, G.-P. Br├╝ggemann (the biomechanician who ran the analysis with Pistorius in 2007) told me that those findings are not enough to prove anything (see itw at the end...)

Comment

Fair. Pistorius opened Pandora's Box and it will be hard to close but it has to be closed.

Comment

Originally posted by booond View Post
                    Fair. Pistorius opened Pandora's Box and it will be hard to close but it has to be closed.
                    Exactly. Time for some spine after gutless attitude toward Pistorius and Semenya.
                    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                    by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Originally posted by Pego View Post
                      Exactly. Time for some spine after gutless attitude toward Pistorius and Semenya.
                      It is not clear on Semenya what the 'decision' really was. It appears to me that they let bygones be bygones (i.e., the first championship was let to play out and stand) but that after that some of the physiological benefits afforded her by biology that might not be standard female was curtailed to a non-trivial extent.

Comment

Rehm has apparently decided not to do a legal challenge of Germany's decision to exclude him from their European Championships team. Link on front page.

Comment

Pistorius's should never have been allowed to compete. And neither should Rehm. Just wait till we get a boing, boing, boing 20m triple jump from Spring Heeled Jack with a double dose of carbon fibre

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman View Post
                            Rehm has apparently decided not to do a legal challenge of Germany's decision to exclude him from their European Championships team. Link on front page.
                            Nothing to stop Rehm competing in the IPC Euros in Swansea, though.

Comment

The wheelchair marathon record is around 1hr 18min. Mechanical advantage increases performance. Prosthetic legs give mechanical advantage just as certainly as wheels.

Comment

Working...
                              X