Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• there will be no Track Newsletter next week… [DL schedules]

and why am I sharing this with the general public?

The reason there won't be a TN is because, for all intents and purposes, there will be no significant top-end action in the period between Commonwealth and Euros.

It's bad enough that we're going 27 days (as I recall) with no DL meets, but then in what has traditionally been high-season for the sport there is absolutely nothing. I'm sorry, but this is no way to keep the sport viable and in the public's mind.

The IAAF needs to exercise more control over the international calendar, plain and simple.
    Last edited by gh; 09-26-2014, 07:56 PM.

I completely agree. Stockholm is not until August 21. That is ridiculous and right at the peak of our season.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
      The IAAF needs to exercise more control over the international calendar, plain and simple.
      Totally agree. The season needs to look like one of those graphs where the line does a sine curve with an increasing slope, and no big valleys (like NOW!) and then crescendoing near the end but then with some trail-off meets like Rieti to take advantage of late-season peaking.

Comment

It's bad enough that we're going 27 days (as I recall) with no DL meets, but then in what has traditionally been high-season for the sport there is absolutely nothing. I'm sorry, but this is no way to keep the sport viable and in the public's mind.

There are so many things the IAAF could do to make our sports more accessible and more interesting, but you may as well hope for the Chicago Cubs winning a world series. You will see a perfect example next week, the EAA is producing a great live-stream for the ECs available almost everywhere in the world, so even fans in countries with no local broadcaster can follow the action. If the IAAF actually cared about promoting T&F, they would do something similar because making sure fans can follow big championships is paramount.

Comment

I don't know this for a fact, but I'm guessing the reason the EA is producing a great live stream has more to do with the fact that they couldn't get a killer worldwide TV deal, which the IAAF can. And to keep the deal killer, the IAAF has to guarantee exclusivity to the broadcasters to whom it sells the rights.

Comment

I don't know this for a fact, but I'm guessing the reason the EA is producing a great live stream has more to do with the fact that they couldn't get a killer worldwide TV deal, which the IAAF can. And to keep the deal killer, the IAAF has to guarantee exclusivity to the broadcasters to whom it sells the rights.
            True for the world championships, but the EAA produces the same quality streams for the U23 and U20 championships and the IAAF can't get killer deals for their U20 and U18 champs, so there would be no reason to not offer a stream for those.

Comment

So we have to wait for the CWG results?? They'll be combined with the EC results (in one eTN)??
              Doesn't matter to me, as I've already done my blog for the CWG.
              I don't rely on eTN for all of my research.
              (Part of it--mainly as a back-up & confirmation for what I already have!)

Or were you joking?

Comment

and why am I sharing this with the general public?

The reason there won't be a TN is because, for all intents and purposes, there will be no significant top-end action in the period between Commonwealth and Euros.

You act like other more successful sports don't have dead time either. If you place more big meets in the weeks leading up to the years major championship players in preparation will simply not turn up devaluing meets to the point of being insignificant and probably leading the meet organisers who have always supported this sport to lose money they probably don't have to lose considering they have one major international athletics meet a year. It would be bad management for the IAAF to force such a situation.

Comment

As for "dead time" between DL's or other "major" meets:

Why do we need just DL's & Championship meets to make us happy?
                  Why not have smaller meets organized specifically for those who do NOT compete in the DL's, or for those who wish to try a new (and rarely held) event?

I suggested (at the time of the World Relays) that a series of 4 World Relay meets be held each year, a sort of DL for the Relays.
                  And one of them could be held during this "dead period".

Would love to see a meet with 10000's and 2 mile races.
                  Also 1000's, 2000's, and such.
                  The DL's don't allow for this.
                  So this would be a perfect time for these to happen.

Also a HS meet or two, where the kids could run events they don't normally do, such as 5K's and 10K's, 3000SC's, and throwing events (for boys) using the international/pro weights! (16 lb SP, etc)

Comment

GH was joking!
                    Just finished perusing eTN # 49...the CWG issue!

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk View Post
                      GH was joking!
                      Just finished perusing eTN # 49...the CWG issue!
                      And when do you think the next one will be? Wanna bet it's not before the end of the Euros?

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman View Post
                        And when do you think the next one will be? Wanna bet it's not before the end of the Euros?
                        not joking… just incapable of writing coherently. As the subject thread now properly says, no newsletter NEXT week.

Comment

I do remember thinking to myself that this week was complete crap as far as my sports viewing goes. If the Texas Ranger were decent this year it would not be quite as terrible, but they are awful. That leads to all Dallas Cowboys all the time on local sports coverage which makes me sort of nauseous. I can ignore most of that, but there is basically nothing that I care about at all to follow between now and the 12th.

Comment

One sign of the lack of competition (especially for the US contingent, which is a significant portion of this board) is the diminished volume of posts on this board (which might be exacerbated by the switch to the new software.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk View Post
                              I suggested (at the time of the World Relays) that a series of 4 World Relay meets be held each year, a sort of DL for the Relays.
                              And one of them could be held during this "dead period".
                              With no European or Commonwealth countries in attendance?

We probably wouldn't even be having this conversation if USATF had done the sensible thing and held the NC during this period.
                              Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Working...
                              X