Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You are pointing to a problem (that i don't see), but you are not offering any solutions. Do you know how to rearrange the international schedule to avoid what you are criticising? And that is where it seems to turn into the US vs. the rest contest because the timeframe you are criticising is the timeframe where top T&F almost exclusively happens in Europe, so in the end only Europe would have to change something. And what would that be? Force everyone to have their national championships in june, or maybe even force Europe to have the European Championships in June? Never gonna happen because every two years june is soccer time and holding any other big championship during soccer WCs or ECs would be ridiculous.

Comment

OK, I'll say this one more time: at least as originally promulgated by me, this has NOTHING to do with the U.S. You could move the U.S. championships where you want and I'd still be raising this same stink. My premise is that some fans—and more importantly the media and advertisers—treat our sport as less and less important when the big names aren't going head-to-head in the prime part of the season.

So there are 32 DL events this year. Here's how long between DL competition there was in each of them, now that Stockholm & Birmingham are in the books.

34 days: mLJ

37 days: men’s 200, 400, 1500, steeple, HJ & DT; women’s 100, 800, 5000, 400H, PV, TJ, SP & JT

40 days: men’s 800 & JT; women’s 200, steeple, 100H & HJ

41 days: men’s 100, 5000, 400H & SP; women's 400, 1500, LJ & DT

47 days: men's PV & TJ

49 (49!) days: men's 110H

I'm sorry, to me that's a sport in disarray.

My humble apologies for not having a great solution at hand, as I understand all the machinations required to make it better. But it's a conversation that should be going on at the highest levels.

Comment

Hey, let's look at next year's wondrous DL schedule!!!!

May:
        15—Doha, Qatar; 17—Shanghai, China; 29/30—Eugene, Oregon

June:
        04—Rome, Italy; 07—Birmingham, England; 11—Oslo, Norway; 13—New York City

July:
        04—Paris, France; 09—Lausanne, Switzerland; 17—Fontvieille, Monaco; 24/25—London, England;
        30—Stockholm, Sweden;

September:
        03—Zürich, Switzerland; 11—Brussels, Belgium

Let's see if I've got this right: 5 meets in 14 days between May 31 and June 13.

And 0 (that's right, zero) meets in the month of August.

There are 3 weekends between Stockholm and the World Champs in Beijing (August 22-30), and what's happening at the high end of the sport during what most would consider "prime time"? Virtually nothing (no Commonwealth/Europeans excuse to fall back on this time).

That's total-shit scheduling from where I sit.
        Last edited by gh; 09-26-2014, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
          And 0 (that's right, zero) meets in the month of August. That's total-shit scheduling from where I sit.
          Understatement. That is no way to run a railroad. The lack of marketing acumen is astounding.

Comment

What about smaller Euro meets that often produce good marks, such as Zeusden-Holder (though not focusing on just one)??

Also, will there be any ATL or CTL action in August?

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk View Post
              What about smaller Euro meets that often produce good marks, such as Zeusden-Holder (though not focusing on just one)??

Also, will there be any ATL or CTL action in August?
              good marks from who? Most all who can produce those good marks will be on their way to BJ. And for the few who wont be at WC they wont have anyone of note to compete against anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by ATK View Post
                good marks from who? Most all who can produce those good marks will be on their way to BJ. And for the few who wont be at WC they wont have anyone of note to compete against anyway.
                What is BJ, and there WAS no WC this year.

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235 View Post
                  I assume BJ is for Beijing, where the WC will be held next year; the discussion is about next year. As far as I'm concerned, there's a meet July 30, and one September 3, and August is for preparation for, and conduct of, the World Championships. I think the athletes' needs are being overlooked in this discussion.
                  Cheers,
                  Alan Shank
                  Woodland, CA

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235 View Post
                    Beijing. And I'd bet he's talking about 2015.

Comment

Working...
                    X