Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas 4x1 DQed!

AAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

I just learned that the UTexas 4x1 got disqualified! Apparently they broke the rules because they used a tennis ball instead of tape for marking takeoff points, because the track was so wet. According to the Austin daily paper, Kearney asked if something other than tape was acceptable since the track was wet, and she never got an answer, and then went ahead with the tennis balls. She says the third exchange judge okayed it, while the others flagged it. She plans to protest.

Story here: http://www.statesman.com/sports/content ... 000dc.html

I guess that's my karma for being gleeful over that bad handoff that kept UCLA out of the finals.
    "Run fast and keep turning left."

Re: Texas 4x1 DQed!

Uhhh, Bev. I think the rules are clear on this one. No excuses, hon.

Comment

I knew there was a good reason to go back to dirt tracks. Just scratch a line in the sand with your shoe! :-)

Comment

Like the Arkansas mess, the coach accepted an answer he/she wanted to hear, instead of pursuing the matter all the way through. It's happened to me several times, because I figured I can always say 'but someone said I could.' I'm slowly learning my lesson.

Comment

>Uhhh, Bev. I think the rules are clear on this one. No excuses, hon.

I agree Kurt. Stupid idea from a runner or coach that should have more knowledge and/or common sense, plus a stupid non-binding ok from a second-tier official. Putting a TENNIS BALL on a track !!?? Someone could get badly injured if they stepped on it going full bore.

Comment

To clarify- they are just tennis ball halves. It might be dangerous but it is also sitting on the lane line, which an athlete should not be running on :-)

Comment

>Uhhh, Bev. I think the rules are clear on this one. No excuses, hon.

I'm torn (and obviously biased because I'm rooting hard for Texas) -- yes, a coach who's in a neck-and-neck race for a national championship shouldn't play chicken with the rules, but at the same time, if one of the exchange officials okayed it ...

I'm wondering what really that really means -- did the official OK it or did he just fail to call it? That would be what the protest would have to revolve around.

Argh. Okay, I really need for LSU to drop a baton. :-)

revised point totals projections if the DQ stands:

UCLA 58
              LSU 58
              Texas 48
              "Run fast and keep turning left."

Comment

Don't know if this makes a difference, but Texas was in lane 9. I suppose they could have put the tennis ball on the outside of the lane, away from other runners.

Like I said, don't know if that matters, or would play a role in their appeal. Anyone else care to wager a guess?

Comment

I'm sure the rule doesn't read 'unless you're in the outside lane.'

Comment

I would agree a half ball makes a big difference, dangerwise,, as does lane 9, but still, the rules are clear. Coach's fault. Having said that, if the judge there on the spot specifically said "OK" before the race, an appeal might fly. Hope it does.

Comment

I was floored this morning when I got the news. I am headed to Austin this weekend for the meet. Texas is my alma mater and I bleed orange (this time literally...lol...). However, a coach of Bev's status should have known better. If the balls were used because of a wet track, then I'm sure that the other lanes were wet too and if they could perform with tape so could Texas. I hope the young ladies can re-focus and perform well for the remainder of the championships. This is unbelievable!

Comment

>I would agree a half ball makes a big difference, dangerwise,, as does lane 9,
                        >but still, the rules are clear. Coach's fault. Having said that, if the judge
                        >there on the spot specifically said "OK" before the race, an appeal might
                        >fly. Hope it does.

I think she needs to use the same defense that George Brett used in his pine tar fiasco.
                        She needs to tell it was in the spirit of the game or something stupid like that.

Comment

Working...
                        X