Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolt is back, beats Mark Lewis Francis in Rio

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...l#.U_DcevldXd4

official hd race video (You have to click on the first picture of Bolt for the video to play):
    http://globoesporte.globo.com/atleti...a-desafio.html

Unofficial fan race video taken by audience member:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L32IvHbrPeI

TV Globo video of full race with no slow motion:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrO4PbxLZvM

pictures of Bolt kicking butt and Rio medal ceremony:
    http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/ne...hoto/453740018

Results:
    1. Bolt Usain JAM 10.06
    2. Lewis-Francis Mark GB 10.42
    3. Lucindo Jefferson Bra 10.44
    4. Spearmon Wallace USA 10.45

Carmelita Jeter did the woman's race, losing to Brazilian Rosângela Santos. Richard Browne did the Para race, winning by a wide margin. I unfortunately don't have the results or video of either.
    Last edited by spammer; 08-17-2014, 06:14 PM.
    Bolt's last year...and my last year as a track fan, it's been fun

Interesting that a win over MLF defines him being "back" as the title implies.

He ran 10.06 which I would say is a pretty good "opener" though.

Comment

Originally posted by ATK View Post
      Interesting that a win over MLF defines him being "back" as the title implies.

He ran 10.06 which I would say is a pretty good "opener" though.
      Tyson Gay runs 9.93 in his first race back and not much is said. Bolt runs 10.06 in his and we are to be impressed?

I am underwhelmed. I agree that this doesn't tell me he is "back". It actually casts more doubt than anything.

Comment

Let's see: MLF is a couple of weeks from being 32 and his yearly string of times is 10.68, 10.30, 10.50, 10.48, 10.45, 10.44, 10.32, 10.44, 10.50, 10.47, 10.37, 10.41, 10.49, 10.57 and his name is even worth mentioning in the same sentence as the great one?

Comment

A results link would have been very useful, you know for those of us who haven't converted to Boltism yet and still consider T&F without Usain interesting.

Edit: Oh, this was a Bolt only race at a beach? How exciting...
          Last edited by norunner; 08-17-2014, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
            Let's see: MLF is a couple of weeks from being 32 and his yearly string of times is 10.68, 10.30, 10.50, 10.48, 10.45, 10.44, 10.32, 10.44, 10.50, 10.47, 10.37, 10.41, 10.49, 10.57 and his name is even worth mentioning in the same sentence as the great one?
            10.68? Ouch. That must not have been a great year : (
            Bolt's last year...and my last year as a track fan, it's been fun

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
              Tyson Gay runs 9.93 in his first race back and not much is said. Bolt runs 10.06 in his and we are to be impressed?

I am underwhelmed. I agree that this doesn't tell me he is "back". It actually casts more doubt than anything.
              I did think about Tyson but the difference was Tyson was not out on injury.
              Also there have been a few times where Bolt has opened his season with just above 10 second times.

Comment

Originally posted by ATK View Post
                I did think about Tyson but the difference was Tyson was not out on injury.
                Also there have been a few times where Bolt has opened his season with just above 10 second times.
                I still don't think that 10.06 is an impressive start to his season. Had he started at 9.99
                it would be a different story. Second place finisher comming in at 10.42 shows this was set up for Bolt to win without much strain.

I'm not impressed!

Comment

It is not really great start of season, it is sure.
                  But is not bad

He only needs to improve his start and drive phase first 30m, his leg 4x100 was wonderful in Glasgow, around 8.80-8.85. (top speed and speed endurance at high level)

Probably sub10 in Poland with average tailwind and 9.9 low or 9.8 high in Zurich with average tailwind.

Comment

Please take in mind that the platform which is used for these kind of temporary tracks is very, very bouncy. Where you have a concrete or asphalt bottom layer underneath your Mondo in a stadium track, this one is being build on plywood.
                    10.06 in an exhibition race without any competition is perfectly acceptable. I'd give him 9.9 low on a Mondo track, maybe even faster.
                    IT'S not heavy....YOU'RE heavy!

Comment

Originally posted by har77 View Post
                      Please take in mind that the platform which is used for these kind of temporary tracks is very, very bouncy. Where you have a concrete or asphalt bottom layer underneath your Mondo in a stadium track, this one is being build on plywood.
                      10.06 in an exhibition race without any competition is perfectly acceptable. I'd give him 9.9 low on a Mondo track, maybe even faster.
                      Those platforms are often quite fast. Faster than the majority of tracks people compete on.

Comment

Originally posted by dustoff View Post
                        Those platforms are often quite fast. Faster than the majority of tracks people compete on.
                        Uh! say that again so everyone can hear it? An Athelete that can run 9.58 should
                        be able to "jog" a 9.85 so 10.06 is not an opener that speaks of any promise.
                        Last edited by flashback; 08-19-2014, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Well, Bolt was very impressive in the 4x100 final at the CWG but well... 10.06 is quite disappointing. I know he won't face Gatlin in Zurich and lucky him, because Gatlin would destroy him.

Comment

Working...
                          X