Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CookyMonzta View Post
    Tori Bowie is injured again. She might not make it to this one.

That being said, looks like Evelyn's 30-year-old MR of 10.76 (one of the oldest still in the GP/DL books) will stand.
    I dont think it was ever going to go with how she looked in Stockholm to be honest. Okagbare probably could take a jab at it if conditions are right and everything works out for her
    Apparently Ignorance is bliss

Comment

Cain's no longer listed for the 1500.
      So unless she shows up in Brussels (or a smaller Euro meet), I guess she's bagged it for 2014!!
      When she didn't go to Stockholm (as both she and Salazar had said she would!!), I had my doubts about Zurich et al!
      I was going to wait to see if she was actually on the starting line!!
      Too bad!
      This is the best season for US female mid/long distance runners.
      Would've been nice to see if she could join the party!!

Comment

Update to previous post:

Brenda Martinez has apparently been called in to replace Cain!
        Brenda's not on the list yet, but I think it just happened today.
        She's been tweeting about being excited to race the 1500 in Zurich, sounding like she just found out about it.
        She was in Europe already, so it was easy to set it up.

Comment

Originally posted by spammer View Post
          Bolt said himself a couple years ago that it is his and Glen Mills' strategy to keep everybody guessing and that is why they avoid competitions against other top sprinters. They feel it creates more suspense for fans heading into the championships meets. He also implied that he didn't always want to play all his cards to the other sprinters. Had Blake's time at the top 3 not derailed, you would have never seen Blake and Bolt run against each other in the diamond league because the Mills camp felt it ruins the suspense for fans come the Championship meets. They have a point. If Bolt were to go 3-0 against Gay in the diamond league before Beijing next year, the World Championships would probably be less interesting.
          I am sure you are correct that Mills and Bolt have said this. I am equally sure this is terrible for the sport. Rivalries are good. This nonsense is bad. There is no real way to describe this other than ducking rivals.

Comment

And past history has shown that the odds of it being 3-0 are not particularly high. From what I have seen this year, versus Gatlin it would have been 0-3, not 3-0. Not sure where he will be ranked this year, but I would be absolutely stunned if he is close to #1, even in a down year. Wonder if he will still make it as #1 in the IAAF 'variant'?

Comment

Maybe Mary decided starting college classes was more important. Boy, where are her priorities?

Comment

I notice that Asafa Powell has lately been added to the 100m showdown. We may have lost Bolt, but we gained both him and Tyson Gay so I would say the 100m is A LOT more interesting. Let's see if Asafa's 9.87 was fluke or not!

Comment

Originally posted by Sasuke View Post
                  I notice that Asafa Powell has lately been added to the 100m showdown. We may have lost Bolt, but we gained both him and Tyson Gay so I would say the 100m is A LOT more interesting. Let's see if Asafa's 9.87 was fluke or not!
                  Agreed.

Asafa + Tyson > Bolt

Comment

Interesting situation in the W 1500 and, to a lesser extent, the long distance(s). Hellen Obiri, who has competed in just one of the long-distance events (that fabulous 3000 in Doha) and three of the 1500s, is entered in the Zurich 1500. Should she win, she would have 13 points, more than anyone has right now. Aregawi has 12, but on recent form is unlikely to get any Thursday. Hassan and Simpson could exceed (or equal) 13 by finishing 2nd. Obiri's form, however, has not been what it was early season; she finished 8th in the Glasgow DL, 6th in the Commonwealth, but won the African Championships in a slow race, ahead of Dawit Seyaum and Faith Kipyegon, among others.

In the long distance competition, Obiri could not catch Cherono, but could conceivably catch Dibaba. BTW, the Brussels competition will be a 3000, not a 5000, favorable for Obiri, should she choose to compete. Calling it the 5000 is something of a misnomer, as only two of the DL races have been contested at that distance (Dibaba winning both), three being 3000s and one 2 Miles (there was also a non-DL 2 Mile). In contrast, all of the men's races have been at the full distance. I guess the IAAF thinks the women can't race 5000 as often as the men can.
                    Cheers,
                    Alan Shank
                    Woodland, CA

Comment

The choice of a 3000 vs a 5000 is made by the individual Diamond League meets and is largely influenced by how they're able to shoehorn the requisite number of events into the prescribed TN window. There are fines for meets that don't do it right.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
                        The choice of a 3000 vs a 5000 is made by the individual Diamond League meets and is largely influenced by how they're able to shoehorn the requisite number of events into the prescribed TN window. There are fines for meets that don't do it right.
                        That doesn't address the issue of men's vs. women's shorter races. I seem to recall in the past some of the men's races were at 3000, too.
                        Cheers,
                        Alan Shank
                        Woodland, CA

Comment

I didn't place any sexual boundaries on the 3/5 thing; it happens for both men and women for that reason.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
                            I didn't place any sexual boundaries on the 3/5 thing; it happens for both men and women for that reason.
                            My point was that, this year, it didn't happen at all for the men, only for the women. Sexual boundaries not yours, gh.
                            Cheers,
                            Alan Shank
                            Woodland, CA

Comment

Kerron Stewart added to w100. Tori is still entered also.

If Tori is not able to run well, it looks like it's Kerron's diamond.

Comment

Originally posted by maggot View Post
                                Maybe Mary decided starting college classes was more important. Boy, where are her priorities?
                                And I agree with you.
                                Starting her frosh year at college normally WOULD take priority over racing in 1 or 2 DL's.
                                Except for one thing:
                                Mary herself said (in 2 or 3 separate interviews just 2 months ago) she'd be missing the first two weeks of school.
                                She laughed when saying this, but she also said her AP work in HS gave her a head start on her college studies, so she didn't feel it would hurt her academically.

She's a Professional.
                                Doesn't matter her age, or her status as a student.
                                Her JOB is as a Professional athlete.

Therefore, she's the same as any other Pro in T&F, whatever their age or student status.
                                If she runs a poor race, she gets criticized.
                                If she drops out of a meet (Zurich....and even Stockholm....the 2 meets she'd said she'd be in), she gets asked Why!

The same would be true of ANY Pro athlete.
                                Cain's a Pro, not a "novice" or "rookie" or "teenage" Pro.

But I'm putting most of the burden on Salazar, not Cain.
                                As her coach, he should be explaining why she's not in the DL's.
                                He's done so in the past, when she's been in absentia.

Comment

Working...
                                X