Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Birech wins the steeple after climbing over the last hurdle. If you can, find a video of that. Quite a sight!

Comment

Originally posted by tamabi View Post
      Bowie injured.

Stewart 1st
      Soumare 2nd
      Philip 3rd
      Nelson 4th
      and then all the Americans
      Great to see the ex Auburn Tiger getting the win ; ) War Eagle
      Bolt's last year...and my last year as a track fan, it's been fun

Comment

Surprisingly poor performances from Dibaba, Ajee Wilson, Kiplagat, Paul Koech, Rollins, Spotakova. Nice comeback for Oly champion Rypakova. Note that Tesfaye, after leading by a lot at 1200, didn't even break 4.

The two-mile times convert to about 8:30, 7:31-2. On the Universal Sports broadcast they didn't even bother to show Farah's "British record". The W 2 Mile at least was a very good race. Dibaba is getting into a rut; when she follows a fast pacemaker, she fades and gets chewed up. Her wins, Rome and Monaco 5000s, have been in "races", where she out-kicked Ayana.

In DL races, Mercy Cherono now leads Dibaba, 3-2, and three wins to two (Obiri beat them both in Doha, and Cherono won in New York with Dibaba absent).

Cheers,
        Alan Shank

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman View Post
          Birech wins the steeple after climbing over the last hurdle. If you can, find a video of that. Quite a sight!
          Here's the video (after commercial, of course):

http://universalsports.com/video/201...chase-trouble/

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman View Post
            Yes, that was very weird; it looked like he wasn't expecting the hurdle to be there. Cost him a couple of seconds, but he had the race well in hand.
            Cheers,
            Alan Shank
            Woodland, CA

Comment

Can they (will they?) not get the pronunciation of Martinez correct already? It should not be that difficult. I thought these guys had it figured out but clearly not.

Comment

So, Tori had 12 points going into Birmingham. Two other women with 4 points are not on Zurich start list. No one else has more than 3 points.

All she had to do was compete in Zurich and win the Diamond. Points in UK would not matter. For someone who was already injured this season, maybe trying to get back to full speed was unnecessary. Of course hindsight is 20/20.

She didn't look like she'll be ready to run in three days. Looks like this race cost her $40K!

Comment

Originally posted by cladthin View Post
                  Can they (will they?) not get the pronunciation of Martinez correct already? It should not be that difficult. I thought these guys had it figured out but clearly not.
                  Storey still has it MArtinez, but Hutchings called her MartInez. They don't really care.
                  Cheers,
                  Alan Shank
                  Woodland, CA

Comment

Birech just didn't see the barrier. Maybe it blended into the track.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Shank View Post
                      Storey still has it MArtinez, but Hutchings called her MartInez. They don't really care.
                      Cheers,
                      Alan Shank
                      Woodland, CA
                      I could not remember who it was with Hutchings doing commentary but you are right, it was Stuart Storey. For guys who seem to truly be professional, "do their homework" and know the sport you'd think Storey could get that right. It's not as if Martinez is new on the scene.

Comment

Surprisingly poor performances from....Rollins.......
                        Cheers,
                        Alan Shank
                        Not really. She has been pretty off since right before USA's

Comment

Cheers,
                          Alan Shank
                          Woodland, CA
                          What is the correct accentuation btw?

Comment

It's Mar-tee-nez.

I don't quite how to use a typical keyboard to give it a real phonetic spelling.

Comment

That's how I would pronounce it indeed, but then I come from a country with a latin-based language. You wouldn't believe how many French names are being butchered by English-speaking (or non-French speaking in general) commentators...

Comment

Yeah, I do hear the French names butchered and I'm not fully aware of the correct pronunciations of all of them but if it was my job I sure would. Those of us who speak English as our first language can say it-Martinez- without much problem if we just know the rules of pronunciation or care to do it correctly. I really like the UK announcers-so vastly superior, knowledgeable to our American commentators- but Storey just needs to make a better effort on this one.

Comment

Working...
                                X