Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alan Shank View Post
    You didn't indicate the accent at all. It's mar-TEE-nez. Family names like Martinez, Gonzalez, Hernandez stress the penultimate syllable.

I have to say that Storey is really getting on my nerves. He needs to be given a small collection of "superb's", "it really is's", "class act's" for each telecast, and when they're gone, he has to think of other words to say. "It really is" was Carol Lewis' favorite crutch, if you recall.
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank
    Woodland, CA
    Apologies(!) then as I said I do not know of the way to emphasize the accent without the accent and see what you guys are doing now but that' not something I was familiar with. I also tried to emphasize the harder e sound rather than the soft i sound which is obviously denoted by the tee.

Comment

If I recall correctly when Riedel was in his prime, our U.S. commentary for most/all field events was Dwight Stones and I think he pronounced that correctly.

Comment

If Martinez was a flash in the pan, newcomer etc. you could sort of understand being off. However, if you combine the fact that the is high level performer who has been on the international scene for several year along with the fact that Storey has a guy in the booth in Hutchings using a different pronunciation, he could get it right if he wanted.

Comment

Originally posted by eldanielfire View Post
          Basically a typical meet will have 100, athletes from over 40 countries and almost all of them speak with a different language and/or accent.
          I agree.
          That being said, you'd think they could learn how to pronounce households names, and some general rules. I yet have to hear "Lavillenie" pronounced correctly by an English-speaking commentator, for instance.

Comment

What if the national federations filed with the IAAF a list of their world-class athletes, with phonetic pronunciations? I have gathered pronunciations of Russia's Olympic and WC teams the last couple of years, with the help of some MB native speakers. On the Baseball Reference website, some of the players have their names shown phonetically.
            Cheers,
            Alan Shank
            Woodland, CA

Comment

Originally posted by ATK View Post
              Not really. She has been pretty off since right before USA's
              Does she (Rollins ) have a new coach or something ? Or has she decided to take it easy since its not a major championship year for US athletes
              Apparently Ignorance is bliss

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Lover Lover View Post
                Does she (Rollins ) have a new coach or something ? Or has she decided to take it easy since its not a major championship year for US athletes
                She's has hamstring problems...since the spring.

Comment

Originally posted by beebee View Post
                  She's has hamstring problems...since the spring.
                  plus it is her first full pro season. if any year is ok to have an off year or to be injured it is this one.

Comment

Back to prounciations!
                    If you think Martinez - as an international runner - deserves to have her name pronounced correctly, how about Bekele and Kipketer!
                    The BBC and Eurosport commentators could never agree on one particular pronunciations!

Comment

Then the IAAF, as suggested previously, should check with each federation to determine the correct pronunciations. It seems the professional thing to do-to get them right-goes along with the job of one "doing their homework." I'm sure some do but clearly not enough.

Comment

Working...
                      X