Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Usain Bolt ends season

From the Zurich Weltklasse website...

After his 9.98 seconds performance in Warsaw last night Usain Bolt has decided to end his 2014 competition season and will not compete in the 100m in the IAAF Diamond League Final in Zurich.

As has been widely reported Usain Bolt’s background training this year was disrupted by injury. His coach Glen Mills is satisfied with his performances in the three competitions he took part in, but feels it is now time to shut it down while he is healthy and injury free with a view on his preparations for the 2015 season. He will now take a period of rest, do some sponsor activities and then resume training in October.
    Patrick Magyar, Meeting Director of Weltklasse Zürich, regrets but understands Bolt’s and his coach’s decision: “Usain’s body has delivered tremendous performances over the last years. But, it is a body and not a machine. If an athlete of that level and his coach feel more rest is needed, we are certainly not going to question this and fully support this decision.”

http://www.diamondleague-zurich.com/...?Template=News

Lol, this guy....

Comment

Good decision.

Comment

I see that the startlist for Zurich now says Tyson Gay is in the 100m in Zurich.
        What's the stuff I read earlier , last week, from the meet promoter about not including athletes who have transgressed the rules.
        Is it only the guys who have got longer sentences than two years . He should not be in the race in my opinion.In any event if he is in now why not on the original startlist from day one. ???

Comment

Seems like a good idea at this stage in his career.
          You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

I think the press release was edited from its original form. It should read:

His coach Glen Mills is satisfied with his performances in the three leisurely training runs he took part in, but feels it is now time to shut it down in light of the embarrassing defeat looming in Zurich with a view on his preparations for the 2015 season.

Comment

Bolt was not going to lose in Zurich. Tyson and Gatlin were not scheduled to run initially and now that Bolt has withdrawn, Tyson was brought in.

Give it up.

Bolt going to get some rest and back to training so that he can repeat his three peat next year.

Good decision on his coaches part. Bolt has enough money(unlike most athletes) so that he can easily walk away from an at least a $250,000 payday in Zurich.

Comment

If Bolt was not going to lose, why would he pass up $250,000 for 10 seconds of work?

I don't care who you are, that's a good hourly wage!

Comment

Originally posted by Fortius19 View Post
                  If Bolt was not going to lose, why would he pass up $250,000 for 10 seconds of work?

I don't care who you are, that's a good hourly wage!
                  Yeah, doesn't pass the smell test. Those who have lots of money, will gladly do whatever it takes to have more... especially if it doesn't take much.

I think the real reason is the likely loss would have cost him and his marketability (brand: unbeatable) much more that $250,000 in the long run.

Comment

Give the guy a break! He has competed in every single global championship since 2005, when he hurt himself and finished last in the 200 final in 26.27; but he made the final, a few days after turning 19. He finished 2nd to Gay in '07, and the rest is history. He will be expected to win three more gold medals in Beijing next year, and he probably will. If he wants to chuck this season, I think he should get a pass.
                    Cheers,
                    Alan Shank
                    Woodland, CA

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Shank View Post
                      Give the guy a break! He has competed in every single global championship since 2005, when he hurt himself and finished last in the 200 final in 26.27; but he made the final, a few days after turning 19. He finished 2nd to Gay in '07, and the rest is history.
                      Of course he would do whatever it takes to make a world final as an up-and-coming sprinter. But what he did before 2008 is irrelevant in terms of his current earning potential. No one was going to miss Usain Bolt when no one knew the name "Usain Bolt." For better (or worse, I suppose), that all changed in 9.69 seconds.

I agree with the notion that he would not intentionally throw away an EASY opportunity to earn a quarter-million. No one would. This is just dishonest, mindless defense from his fans.
                      Last edited by JRM; 08-25-2014, 05:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JRM View Post
                        Yeah, doesn't pass the smell test. Those who have lots of money, will gladly do whatever it takes to have more... especially if it doesn't take much.

I think the real reason is the likely loss would have cost him and his marketability (brand: unbeatable) much more that $250,000 in the long run.
                        Absolute rubbish!

Not too long ago, Bolt lost to Gatlin at the Diamond League, and it didn't affect his earnings....

When I read some of nonsense on this MB, I wonder if some posters allow their intense dislike of Bolt to get the better of their common sense.

A more likely scenario is that Bolt has a concern, if not an injury, and both Mills and Bolt are quite rightly playing it safe, given that 2015 is a World Champs year.

Seriously, who was going to beat him the 100m? Gemeli? Dasaolu? Don't make me laugh....

This about protecting his body....
                        My heart is still in the Caribbean....

Comment

Of course he would do whatever it takes to make a world final as an up-and-coming sprinter. But what he did before 2008 is irrelevant in terms of his current earning potential. No one was going to miss Usain Bolt when no one knew the name "Usain Bolt." For better (or worse, I suppose), that all changed in 9.69 seconds.

I agree with the notion that he would not intentionally throw away an EASY opportunity to earn a quarter-million. No one would. This is just dishonest, mindless defense from his fans.
                          Bolt has lost to Gatlin, Gay, Blake twice! It hasn't affected his marketability. But he pulls out in non-championship year and you say "He's scared." The only mindless one here is you.
                          http://img2.pict.com/c9/f0/bf/2845608/0/b.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by shivfan View Post

Not too long ago, Bolt lost to Gatlin at the Diamond League, and it didn't affect his earnings....
                            Curious if you can confirm this?

Comment

Of course he would do whatever it takes to make a world final as an up-and-coming sprinter. But what he did before 2008 is irrelevant in terms of his current earning potential.
                              My post had nothing to do with his earnings potential, but to point out that this guy has been training and competing at the highest level for ten seasons; in fact, he ran a "youth best" 20.58 back in 2002, so it's more like 15 seasons. Maybe he needs a rest! I'm neither a hater nor a worshiper of Bolt, BTW.
                              Cheers,
                              Alan Shank
                              Woodland, CA

Comment

Working...
                              X