Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jaheel Hyde (JAM) 12.96 at Youth Olympic Games, Nanjing

Great time for Hyde in the 110H, a new World Youth Best. This event was run over 91.4cm (36-inch) hurdles, the standard youth height.

Nevertheless, expert commentator Nick Symmonds said on NBCSN, "Sub-13--that's the kind of time we look to see from competitors at a Diamond League event. 12.97 [the unofficial electric eye time] for an athlete of this age is astounding."

NBCSN soon thereafter displayed a table of the gold and silver medal 110H times from the past 4 Olympic Games, and NBC Sports play-by-play announcer Jason Knapp exclaimed, "Look at his time! It would have been good enough for him to win gold at Sydney, and silver at the last three Olympics." Uhhh . . . except for the hurdles being 6 inches lower for youths.

The above cluelessness aired at about 9:45 p.m. EDT Saturday on NBCSN.

Congrats to Hyde, not so much to Symmonds, Knapp, and NBC Sports. If only they had a Big Gold Book, they could have looked at page 130 and educated themselves.
    Last edited by Charley Shaffer; 08-25-2014, 06:43 AM.

Originally posted by Charley Shaffer View Post
    Great time for Hyde in the 110H, a new World Youth Best. This event was run over 91.4cm (36-inch) hurdles
    36 inches is the height of a 400H hurdle, and as such, is SIGNIFICANTLY easier to sprint over than hurdle over. 12.96 is excellent, but many 'youngsters' could have run faster (IMO) if they had been given the chance.

Comment

'm more interested in seeing if he can get close to Danny Harris' record by Rio
      why don't people pronounce vowels anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
        36 inches is the height of a 400H hurdle, and as such, is SIGNIFICANTLY easier to sprint over than hurdle over. 12.96 is excellent, but many 'youngsters' could have run faster (IMO) if they had been given the chance.
        That was my point--that one runs slower over higher hurdles, but Symmonds, Knapp, and NBC thought they were comparing apples and apples.

I neglected to mention that Symmonds went on to compare Hyde's time with Merritt's WR--"only 0.16 difference"--and gushed that Hyde was 10 years younger than Merritt had been at the time of his WR.

You'd think that anyone who had paid even passing attention to the other running events while in H.S. T&F would know that the hurdles for the 110 are lower for young guys.
        Last edited by Charley Shaffer; 08-25-2014, 01:08 AM.

Comment

For comparison purpose, the hurdles at the World Junior Championship are 39 inches, to the senior's 42 inches.

That being said, Hyde might become an amazing hurdler in his senior year. I certainly hope so. The fact that he just broke Belocian's youth best over 36 inches, while Belocian just beat the World Junior Record over 39 inched mean there might be some pretty amazing battles in hurdling in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
            Wait, I can't follow this logic...if many youngsters could have run a faster sprint hurdle time than Hyde...why haven't they? After all, his time is a new record (and only Youth sub-13 ever)...so "many" could not have done it, since only one has...
            Regards,
            toyracer

Comment

There actually is some logic there. There are undoubtedly a number of short-legged (relative term) sprinters who obviously have no future in the real hurdles, so they don't even bother to run them, but if they were channeled that way would do just fine over the 36-inchers, even though they might be dead over the 39s and/or 42s.

Comment

Very few top US hurdlers ever ran over 36" barriers. I can only imagine what Skeets could have run, along with some of the other past American studs.

Comment

Given his prowess over the 220 lows, I can see Jesse Owens running a 13.2-type hand time, even on dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by gm View Post
                    Very few top US hurdlers ever ran over 36" barriers. I can only imagine what Skeets could have run, along with some of the other past American studs.
                    Skeets and others did not, Hyde did!

Comment

Glad to see another Wolmerian talent coming through over the hurdles. I think Hyde's performance over the hurdles (all of this year and last) is actually amazing. He won the World Youth Games last year with only 0.01 to spare from the World Youth Best, he then came this year and won the World Jr's 400mH in 49.29 (keep in mind that he is still a Youth athlete and this was his first year of running the 400mH), then he caps off the year with another gold medal and this time with a World Youth Best and first sub-13 to boot. Prior to this run no one had gone under 13.10 over the hurdles at the Youth level.

Youths have been running over this height for some time now... So being the first sub-13 runner shouldn't be anything to disregard just like that.

Of note he had also beat the World Jr's silver medalist (second fastest ever at the Jr height) at Boys & Girls Champs here in Jamaica back in March. I think that means that he would likely have been able to run into a medal position and very likely amongst the top 3 fastest times ever at the Jr. height (while again still being a Youth).

Comment

Of note is the front page feature on Hyde on the IAAF website.

http://www.iaaf.org/news/feature/jah...-games-feature

Jaheel Hyde: “Look out, greatness is coming

Comment

by the way Hyde will be a junior in 2016. I expect him to compete in 400mh at both WJC and the Olys that year.
                          why don't people pronounce vowels anymore

Comment

After watching him in Eugene, I'm not inclined to disagree about the double.

Comment

Originally posted by DentyCracker View Post
                              by the way Hyde will be a junior in 2016. I expect him to compete in 400mh at both WJC and the Olys that year.
                              Because the transition from world class junior to world class is always very smooth, right?

Comment

Working...
                              X