Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by norunner View Post
    Because the transition from world class junior to world class is always very smooth, right?
    Simply competing is different than actually being successful.

Comment

Originally posted by DentyCracker View Post
      I expect him to compete in 400mh at both WJC and the Olys that year.
      Originally posted by norunner View Post
      Because the transition from world class junior to world class is always very smooth, right?
      Originally posted by ATK View Post
      Simply competing is different than actually being successful.
      Qualifying for and being selected to compete in the Olympic Games requires a successful transition.

Comment

To be fair, though, Jamaica doesn't have loads of riches when it comes to 400mh. Hyde is already the fourth fastest Jamaican of the event this year, according to IAAF's senior list. So if he can make the minima, he has a good chance of being selected.

It's another matter on 110mh, where he has yet to produce times on 39 and 42 inches hurdles.

Comment

Originally posted by tamabi View Post
          To be fair, though, Jamaica doesn't have loads of riches when it comes to 400mh. Hyde is already the fourth fastest Jamaican of the event this year, according to IAAF's senior list. So if he can make the minima, he has a good chance of being selected.
          Given the vagaries of the new qualification system (I just resurrected its thread), that could be more difficult than before.

Comment

Yes I just saw that. Tbh I have no clue at all what this new qualification system will bring. I've been perusing through IAAF's official documents to try and find something but nada.

Comment

This is Hyde's first year running the 400mH. Last year he ran 46.93 to finish 2nd in the flat 400m class 2 at Jamaica's High School Champs, beating WY ond YO 400m Champion Martin Manley in the process. He was 2nd in the 110mH behind Eugene 2014 200m bronze medallist Michael O'Hara (who might just be Jamaica's best junior hurdler right now, but that is another story). He actually came 3rd at Junior trials last year in the 400m behind Devaughn baker and Martin Manley and did not contest the 110mh. In a rare moment of insight the JAAA nontheless selected him to run the 110mh at WYC. The rest is history as he won with a time just ouside Belocian's WY best. We thought the 400mh would be a natural fit for him and were delighted when his coaches decided to prepare him for it. He has been hurdling at 36" since age 14 so ... I suspect he will be our best 400mH next year. He is more talented than the other guys we have in the event. He is definitely a better hurdler than any of them and I am sure he is close to 46 flat or better in the flat 400m I do not think he has stopped growing either. Barring injury I believe he will make the teams for Beijing and Rio and may even be in a position to challenge Danny Harris' incredible 48.02 in 2016 (I am an eternal optimist)
              why don't people pronounce vowels anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                36 inches is the height of a 400H hurdle, and as such, is SIGNIFICANTLY easier to sprint over than hurdle over. 12.96 is excellent, but many 'youngsters' could have run faster (IMO) if they had been given the chance.
                Do people really believe the last sentence?

Comment

Originally posted by einnod23 View Post
                  Do people really believe the last sentence?
                  Yes. Again, high schoolers in the USA run over 39" hurdles. Rarely do they even see a race with 36" barriers, except for those who run summer track. And even then, there is only one time they will see it -- at a World Youth Trials. The 13-14 yo boys run 100H with 33" barriers, and then move to 110H with 39" barriers for 15-16 and 17-18 age groups.
                  Last edited by gm; 08-28-2014, 08:27 PM.

Comment

He was mentioned on the BBC during the diamond league. They're doing a highlights show of the Youth Olympics on Saturday and that will include his race.

Comment

Working...
                    X