Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olli
    replied
    Of course the Finland-Sweden international (what the Swedes call Finnkampen) is far from a major global competition in general, but the javelin competition happens to have two elite contenders relevant to ranking speculations.

In my view, Ruuskanen's overwhelming win in the most important competition ot the year (EC) already makes him a good candidate for No.1. If that is not enough, even "minor" competitions might tip the balance in favor of him (though I am a bit pessimistic whether he will get back to top form).

Of course, my view may well differ from that of T&F News ranking.

Leave a comment:

• Powell
    replied
    As important as the Finnkampen may be to the Swedes and Finns, it's hardly a major competition from the global perspective. And even if Ruuskanen wins it, he'll still be 3-6 vs Pitkämäki.

Leave a comment:

• Olli
    replied
    Ruuskanen and Pitkämäki will meet on Sunday in Finland-Sweden international. Just bought a ticket to watch it. Perhaps nothing spectacular with happen but you never know.

If, just if, Ruuskanen returned to his 88m form, beating Pitkämäki and Vesely (in Continental Cup), that might settle the No. 1 ranking.
    Last edited by Olli; 08-29-2014, 02:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Powell
    replied
    The only major competition left is the Continental Cup, and that one will feature only two Europeans (Ruuskanen and Vesely), so not a whole lot is going to change.

Leave a comment:

• Olli
    replied
    Yeah, many roughly even contenders. But the season is not yet over...

Leave a comment:

• LopenUupunut
    replied
    Any idea who'll be #1 in the T&FN rankings? Röhler's 12th place at the biggest meet of the year counts against him badly, and he has negative head-to-heads against both Ruuskanen and Pitkämäki. Ruuskanen won at the Euros and Stockholm, but other than that he was solid but not spectacular, and his head-to-heads against Pitkämäki and Veselý are ugly. Pitkämäki is 6-2 against Ruuskanen and 4-3 against Röhler and Veselý, but only won one meet of any real consequence (Oslo). Veselý is 5-2 against Ruuskanen, but 3-4 against Pitkämäki and Röhler and 2-3 against Yego and Abdelrahman. Yego won two titles (CWG and African Championship), which count for something since he had to beat Abdelrahman and Walcott, and he has positive head-to-heads against Ruuskanen and Veselý, but #1? Nah. (He's 1-5 against Pitkämäki.) Abdelrahman has the WL and two Diamond League wins, as well as the 3-2 against Veselý, but his other head-to-heads are negative, and his 3-5 against Yego includes a loss at the African Championships.

Based on head-to-heads it would have to be Pitkämäki, but world #1 with one DL win and bronze at the Euros? (And, though it doesn't count for much, a worse SB than all other main contenders.)

Leave a comment:

• Per Andersen
    replied
    Originally posted by Olli View Post
    A surprise winner for the Diamond League, I would say. Has Ruuskanen fallen back to his "normal" level after a temporary peak of 87–88m competitions?

In any case, the situation with javelin is now quite interesting, since there are several rather good and even competitors and three of them from outside Europe. Perhaps their example will inspire more non-Europeans to become javelin-throwers.
    I don't think Rohler is a huge surprise though. He's been solid all season except in the EC. I like him a lot. He's young and has had a very marked and even progress year by year since 2010.
    Agree totally about the non-Europeans among the elite throwers. And from non-traditional countries. Maybe Abdelrahman was pressing too hard later in the season. Walcott is building a solid foundation. Next year he should be closer to 90 than to 85.

Leave a comment:

• Olli
    replied
    A surprise winner for the Diamond League, I would say. Has Ruuskanen fallen back to his "normal" level after a temporary peak of 87–88m competitions?

In any case, the situation with javelin is now quite interesting, since there are several rather good and even competitors and three of them from outside Europe. Perhaps their example will inspire more non-Europeans to become javelin-throwers.

Leave a comment:

• norunner
    replied
    Röhler seems on a mission to prove himself. 70m at the ECs, then 85, 86 and 87m for his three competitions since then.

Leave a comment:

• LopenUupunut
    started a topic Zürich DL: mJT

Zürich DL: mJT

This is pretty much a winner-takes-all - if any of Abdelrahman, Pitkämäki, Veselý, Röhler or Ruuskanen wins they will also win the Diamond Race. If Yego wins here he takes the Diamond Race if Ruuskanen or a non-contender takes 2nd and Abdelrahman doesn't place 3rd (if it comes to a tie-break, Yego has the edge over Pitkämäki and Veselý but not Abdelrahman). If Yego (or a non-contender) wins and Abdelrahman, Pitkämäki, Veselý or Röhler is 2nd, the 2nd placer will win the Diamond Race. Tarabin can also take the Diamond Race if he wins here, but only if Abdelrahman, Pitkämäki and Veselý all finish out of the top 3 and Röhler isn't second. If no one exceeds 8 points (say, if Walcott wins, Ruuskanen is 2nd and Yego 3rd) then Abdelrahman takes the Diamond Race.

Always supposing I'm reading the rules correctly

1 ABDELRAHMAN Ihab EGY 1 MAY 1989 89.21 89.21 8 1
    2 YEGO Julius KEN 4 JAN 1989 85.40 84.72 2 6
    3 HOFMANN Andreas GER 16 DEC 1991 86.13 86.13
    4 TARABIN Dmitriy RUS 29 OCT 1991 88.84 85.92 1 7
    5 ETELÄTALO Lassi FIN 30 APR 1988 84.98 84.98
    6 RÖHLER Thomas GER 30 SEP 1991 86.99 86.99 7 4
    7 WALCOTT Keshorn TTO 22 APR 1993 85.28 85.28
    8 PITKÄMÄKI Tero FIN 19 DEC 1982 91.53 86.63 8 2
    9 VESELÝ Vítezslav CZE 27 FEB 1983 88.34 87.38 8 2
    10 RUUSKANEN Antti FIN 21 FEB 1984 88.01 88.01 4 5
Working...