Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nightmare for IAAF

I can't think of one female track event athlete who has done anything even vaguely worthy of IAAF AOY !!

Does this mean they'll have to present it to a field eventer ?!! and even worst A THROWER :O

The only suitable candidates i can think of are

Queen Val - even on a poor year for her
    Sandra P - One loss i believe but 71.08 !!
    Catharina Ibaguen - Is she unbeaten and one monster jump but poor distances rest of year
    Anita Wlodarczyk - I have no idea of win loss but only WR

Am i missing someone ? Will IAAF make a ridiculous decision to avoid the inevitable ? Who's your choice ?

I'm going for Sandra Perkovic
    i deserve extra credit

Don't worry, I'm sure they'll end up giving it to Allyson Felix or Sanya Richards :P
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Maybe Anita will throw over 80m before the end of the season and solve that "huge" problem.

Comment

Adams and Ibarguen are the only ones who are unbeaten this year. Perkovic had that one loss in Glasgow. Włodarczyk lost to Fiodorow in Wrocław (although that was an exhibition, so I'm not sure if it counts) and to Heidler in Ostrava.

Comment

What's this... Mump talking field events...blimey. He is voting for the British sprinters, especially our Relay women.!
          Last edited by bennyg; 09-01-2014, 11:26 AM.

Comment

I don't mind the odd loss for people who compete all the time

Overall i prefer SP and AW seasons despite the losses. SP especially as her 71+ may not be a WR but its the furthest since '92, way before wHT even existed.

Are there any other contenders
            i deserve extra credit

Comment

Adams is unbeaten, but giving it to her would be a sort of "we are not giving you this prize because you were good but because the others sucked". Perkovich and Ibarguen had huge personal bests this year so I think they deserve it more even if the first had one defeat (but with decent measure anyway).

Comment

I agree it's between SP and AW, as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

It's definitely Sandy P or AW.

Either would be worthy but I'm sure the IAAF will find some way to avoid rewarding them for stellar seasons.

Comment

In 26 years this award has NEVER gone to a female thrower.

Only twice has it gone to a male thrower (Backley 1990, Zelezny 2000).

14 awards have gone to female sprinters (Including hurdles).

15 to men, including 7 out of the last 8!!!

The field event discrimination and sprint bias couldn't be more obvious.

I remember being at the ceremony in 2012 when the men's award was fiercely contested with Rudisha, Merritt and Eaton all setting WR's and winning Olympic gold medals. Of course the IAAF fobbed them off with some made up minor awards and announced the winner as Bolt (Again). There was an audible groan from the press section.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IAAF_Wo...te_of_the_Year

Comment

Yeah, I guess it's SP at this point, but 80 meters by AW or a loss for Perkovic at the Continental Cup could tip the balance. With the way GLS has been throwing, the latter isn't out of the question.

Comment

Percovic, hands down. She has been regularly screwed on TF annual list, and Adams is always way ahead in polls. This is her year. Loss or no loss. And she lost to the no.2

Comment

I don't understand why Perkovic would be ahead of Wlodarczyk, a WR should count for a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by norunner View Post
                            I don't understand why Perkovic would be ahead of Wlodarczyk, a WR should count for a lot.
                            It's a tossup between the two imo.
                            I guess it can be considered that Perkovic has stronger consistency on her side, plus, as mump boy said, given how recent wHT is, Wlodarczyk's WR can be considered less "exceptional" than Perkovic's performance, which is the best in wDT in over two decades.

It's the eternal discussion of soft vs. hard WR, and how meaningful it makes them, I suppose.

Nonetheless, both of them are exceptional athletes and should definitely be at the top of the IAAF's female AOY list!

Comment

Let's just remember that the season is not yet over. There's still the DL final in Brussels and of course the Continental Cup, which is the most important IAAF T&F event of the outdoor season. What happens in Marrakech could change things for any of the leading contenders.

Comment

Working...
                              X