Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tamabi View Post
    I guess it can be considered that Perkovic has stronger consistency on her side
    Can it?
    Perkovic's had a longer season and competed more, that's true. Włodarczyk was injured earlier in the year, so she started late, but her worst result of the year was 75.53 (ignoring the throwing-across-a-river exhibition). How is that less consistent than Sandra?
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman View Post
      L...There's still the DL final in Brussels and of course the Continental Cup, which is the most important IAAF T&F event of the outdoor season…...
      it may be to the IAAF, but certainly not to this cowboy; it was/is/forevermoreshallbe nothing but an afterthought that finds stragglers showing up for one last major payday that they don't really give a shit about as a concept. A totally artificial construct that doesn't relate to much of anybody methinks.

Unlikely to have much traction in the T&FN World Rankings.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman View Post
        L...There's still the DL final in Brussels and of course the Continental Cup, which is the most important IAAF T&F event of the outdoor season…...
        it may be to the IAAF, but certainly not to this cowboy; it was/is/forevermoreshallbe nothing but an afterthought that finds stragglers showing up for one last major payday that they don't really give a shit about as a concept. A totally artificial construct that doesn't relate to much of anybody methinks.

Comment

But this thread is about the IAAF AOY. I'm pretty sure it does matter to them.

Comment

The Continental Cup really needs to be put out if it's misery.

Hasn't been relevant for about a decade. Nobody even knows it's on anymore. Might make some sense if held mid or even early season but by the time it comes around everyone has given up for the year.

I doubt they'll be much meaningful competition taking place.

Comment

Originally posted by Flumpy View Post
              The Continental Cup really needs to be put out if it's misery.

Hasn't been relevant for about a decade.
              A decade? It was the 92 and 94 editions that were really crap (especially the former, coming after the Olympics). Things have actually gotten better since then.

Comment

The 2010 edition (the last one) was actually good.
                Full stadium, several people running/throwing/jumping PBs or even ARs to upset the odds, some thrilling contests (in mPV (silver medallist had cleared 5.90!) and mTJ (5 cm between gold and bronze!) for instance)... I, for one, am actually excited about this 2014 edition.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post

This thread is about IAAF AOY we all know T&FN make much more sensible selections
                  i deserve extra credit

Comment

Originally posted by Powell View Post
                    A decade? It was the 92 and 94 editions that were really crap (especially the former, coming after the Olympics). Things have actually gotten better since then.
                    I believe that it was after the '94 edition that the IAAF introduced prize money to the event, and things then got noticeably better.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
                      it may be to the IAAF, but certainly not to this cowboy; it was/is/forevermoreshallbe nothing but an afterthought that finds stragglers showing up for one last major payday that they don't really give a shit about as a concept.
                      I have seen teams celebrating World Cup victories in a manner that reminded me of college teams after winning their conference championships. They may not be crazy about the concept, but once they're there, and are competing, it's been my observation that they tend to compete seriously. As has been noted elsewhere, the 2010 Continental Cup had some very good events and produced some very good results.

Comment

Are there any track possibilities at all?

Can't think of anyone. Only Kaliese Spencer has really dominated and her times have been relatively poor.

Any Road runner or walkers that should be considered?

Comment

If Gatlin wins both the 100 and 200 in Brussels, he has to be the leading candidate for AOTY I would think.

Comment

He'd need a super fast sex change procedure to be eligible for the title of female AOY for this year :P

Comment

Working...
                            X