Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Continental Cup

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Continental Cup

    What teams are set? What USAians will be there? I'm I going to be disappointed (again!) by the performances? I loved the idea of the WAF (or GP Final or the World Cup), but it seems the athletes were always burned out by then.

  • #2
    I've seen the African and Oceania/Asian teams on the IAAF site, but not the Americas or Europe. Check http://www.iaaf.org/home . There are at least three articles about the CC. Yes, you will probably be disappointed in many of the marks, but there should be some excellent competition, too.
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank
    Woodland, CA

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Atticus View Post
      What teams are set? What USAians will be there? I'm I going to be disappointed (again!) by the performances? I loved the idea of the WAF (or GP Final or the World Cup), but it seems the athletes were always burned out by then.
      If memory serves me right, the last one in 2010 was pretty good. Especially the performances in the field. The women's triple jump was rather memorable as the winning jump was about 15.2/3 metres. The performances this year on a hold haven't been 'eye catching' even for an 'off year' and such I don't expect anything great.

      Comment


      • #4
        Some marks from 2010 in Split:
        Spearmon 19.95
        Wariner 44.22
        Rudisha 1:43.37
        Lagat and Kipsiro, 1-2 in both 3 and 5, slow
        Oliver 13.11
        Greene 47.88
        Hooker 5.95, Lavillenie 5.90
        Phillips 8.34
        Cantwell 21.87
        Thorkildsen 89.26

        Montsho 49.89
        Jepkosgei 1:57.88, beating Sinclair and SAvinova
        Vlasic 2.05
        Rypakova 15.25 Area Record
        Abakumova 68.14
        Some good W mid- and long-distance races, but in slow times.

        The C C often does not have deep performances in events, because it's fairly rare for several continents to have top-class entries.
        Cheers,
        Alan Shank
        Woodland, CA
        Cheers,
        Alan Shank
        Woodland, CA

        Comment


        • #5
          According to this: http://www.iaaf.org/competitions/iaa...ech-wlodarczyk
          the European team "is yet to be finalised".
          I'm guessing they do have some struggles, because the selections are supposed to be the winners of the European Championship but some of them might not be who they want to select. (For instance, it would be stupid to not select Mekhissi-Benabbad in the 3000mSt, since he's the only non-African to medal in global competitions in this event in the last few years, but he is technically not the European champion... I'm quite curious at what they will do about that tbh.)

          Comment


          • #6
            I think it's more about some EC medalists pulling out and the EAA having to find replacements. Happens every time.
            Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

            Comment


            • #7
              Since the IAAF instituted prize money for the World/Continental Cup, participation has been significantly better, but there are still some athletes who are tired at the end of the long season and who will decide not to do this meet. It should still be a very good competition.

              Comment


              • #8
                In 2010, the following qualified European athletes did not participate:
                Men
                200 Christophe Lemaitre (gold in EC), Martial Mbandjock (bronze, would have been next in line after Lemaitre chose not to compete)
                1500 Carsten Schlangen (silver)
                5000 Mo Farah (gold), Jesus Espana (silver), Hayle Ibrahimov (bronze)
                400H Stanislav Melnykov (bronze, behind two Brits, so should have been the second representative of Europe)
                HJ Aleksandr Shustov (gold), Ivan Ukhov (silver)
                Women
                100 Veronique Mang (silver), Myriam Soumare (bronze)
                200 Myriam Soumare (gold)
                800 Yvonne Hak (silver)
                1500 Nuria Fernandez (gold), Natalia Rodriguez (bronze)
                3000SC Marta Dominguez (silver)
                PV Silke Spiegelburg (silver)
                SP Anna Avdeyeva (bronze, behind two Belorussians)
                JT Barbora Spotakova (bronze, behind two Germans)

                So yes, most athletes do compete, but withdrawals are not uncommon.
                Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Alan Shank View Post
                  Some marks from 2010 in Split:
                  Spearmon 19.95
                  Wariner 44.22
                  Rudisha 1:43.37
                  Lagat and Kipsiro, 1-2 in both 3 and 5, slow
                  Oliver 13.11
                  Greene 47.88
                  Hooker 5.95, Lavillenie 5.90
                  Phillips 8.34
                  Cantwell 21.87
                  Thorkildsen 89.26

                  Montsho 49.89
                  Jepkosgei 1:57.88, beating Sinclair and SAvinova
                  Vlasic 2.05
                  Rypakova 15.25 Area Record
                  Abakumova 68.14
                  Some good W mid- and long-distance races, but in slow times.

                  The C C often does not have deep performances in events, because it's fairly rare for several continents to have top-class entries.
                  Cheers,
                  Alan Shank
                  Woodland, CA
                  Cheers,
                  Alan Shank
                  Woodland, CA
                  Very odd. I was there and yet don't remember any of this?!?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Flumpy View Post
                    Very odd. I was there and yet don't remember any of this?!?
                    If you're an eTN subscriber, go to the archives.
                    All the above results that Mr Shank listed are in the September 7, 2010 edition, eTN # 56 for that year.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I have never seen the need for or importance of the Continental Cup. It has no meaning really and this is emphasized by the scores of top athletes who fail to show up.
                      A revamping of the World Champs where the three per nation rules go and reestablishing the World Athletic Finals would be things the athletes and public can find more interest in. Zurich was the finals, no Brussels is the finals, the IAAF just continue to find ways to confuse the public.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by OneWay View Post
                        A revamping of the World Champs where the three per nation rules go and reestablishing the World Athletic Finals would be things the athletes and public can find more interest in.
                        Really, WCs where 10 kenyans and one french guy fight each other for the 3000 steeplechase medals would be more interesting to the public?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I know I am in minority here, but I really liked the old World Cup. With a few minor tweaks, it could be great again.
                          "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                          by Thomas Henry Huxley

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by norunner View Post
                            Really, WCs where 10 kenyans and one french guy fight each other for the 3000 steeplechase medals would be more interesting to the public?
                            Why is it when this particular topic comes up it is always the Kenyan steeple, the Jamaicans and Americans in sprints. I have never heard the Scandinavians in the Javelin? To answer your question, I would rather watch a steeple where 8:10 is last than 8:40 is last to accommodate "those we like". I would rather a 100m where all runners get under 10.00. I would rather watch three rounds of 100m minus a 12.3 male.
                            I do not hear football type complaining during the Champions League that four Spanish (or Italian or British) teams are "fighting each other" for the title. No, they enjoy what sports is all about the best against the best!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by OneWay View Post
                              Why is it when this particular topic comes up it is always the Kenyan steeple, the Jamaicans and Americans in sprints. I have never heard the Scandinavians in the Javelin?
                              Because they do not have anything like that depth of domination.
                              Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X