• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zagreb IWC

Results link on front left.
    Some comments:

Bailey-Cole beats Powell, Rodgers, Ujah 10.07 -0.7
    He seems to run into a wind a lot.

M 800 Timothy Kitum last, 1:49.69 ??? Since his 1:43.65 19 July, he's been 8th, 10th, 5th and 10th, a couple of decent times.
    Cheruiyot 1:45.76

M SC Kipyego, Kibiego, I believe, were 1-2 in World Juniors, 5th & 6th here, 8:25.xx and 8:29.xx Paul Koech 8:24.63 -- has really slipped.

M 110H Shubenkov beats Ortega, Ash, Merritt. Bill Sharman last in 13.77.

M JT Pitkamaki beats Rohler

W 1500 Martinez gets a win, Ghribi 3rd 4:06.58, Mosser 11th 4:08.70

W LJ Reese 6.11 (-0.9) for 7th

Cheers,
    Alan Shank
    Woodland, CA

It was cold (around 13 Celsius degrees) and very wet - it was raining during whole meet, started some 14-16 hrs before. Finally stopped now.

Comment

I enjoy these 2nd-level meets. The fields tend to be more open--and even then, the results often don't follow form.

W200 Joanna Atkins stormed curve. She had just almost pipped K Stewart in Berlin 100, plus she is 400 runner, so I thought she would be unbeatable. Wrong. Soumaré zoomed past in the straightaway, Brit Jodie Williams 3rd.

M400 Rooney finally timed it right, beating Makwala and Roberts.

100H Ali finally gets a win, over Talay and Porter.

110H Shubenkov beats a strong field, followed by Ortega, Ronnie Ash (!) and Merritt. I was watching in Croatian, so I didn't get the reason for the huge award ceremony for this event. Schubenkov's trophy was gigantic. The Croatian drill team that presented the awards not bad.

W1500 Martinez ran perfect race for strong win. I wasn't so sure she would win, as Ghribi has looked very strong recently.

WLJ Spanovic had comfortable lead, passed her 5th jump. Romanian Alina Rotaru passed her by 5cm on last jump. Spanovic responded--but missed win by 1cm.

The weather has basically been terrible all summer here in Europe. Even when it's not raining, it's too cold for track. Marks correspondingly weak across the board. Wonder how this will affect Rankings...

Comment

Originally posted by Grazerite View Post
        110H Shubenkov beats a strong field, followed by Ortega, Ronnie Ash (!) and Merritt. I was watching in Croatian, so I didn't get the reason for the huge award ceremony for this event. Schubenkov's trophy was gigantic. The Croatian drill team that presented the awards not bad.
        It's memorial race:
        In 2008, the Zagreb international athletic meeting will be held for the 60th time. This more than half a century long athletic story originated as a duel between two strongest clubs in Zagreb – Mladost and Dinamo.
        It became international when good foreign athletes started participating in it in 1958. The 110m hurdles memorial race, which has been part of the meeting from the very beginning, is named after Boris Hanžeković, a Zagreb athlete, who ran the hurdles between the two world wars, and who became famous after winning over the famous Greek athlete Hristos Mantikas at the Balkan Games in 1938.

Comment

Working...
        X