Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fifth Avenue Mile Sept 13

Looking forward to the women's race for sure. Cain and Simpson. Don't know who else will show up.

Well, we finally got word from Salazar about Cain's non-appearances in Europe.
    She wasn't in top shape for Stockholm, and decided missing 5 days of school wasn't worth going to Europe for one race (Zurich).

Of course, as she's now living in Portland, she'll have to travel 6000 miles round-trip for this one race!
    Where I expect she'll be either the winner, or at least top 3.

One interesting thing about this is that I don't think she's ever run a road race---of any distance---before.
    So this will be a first for her!

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk View Post

she'll have to travel 6000 miles round-trip for this one race!
      PDX-NYC is less than 2500 miles each way, assuming a direct flight.

Comment

Hannah England and Laura Weightman have been confirmed.
        So IF Cain finishes 1st or 2nd (behind Simpson), she'll have defeated a quality field.

Aside to KevinM:

My point was NOT about the actual distance (I'd always thought it was 3000 miles from coast to coast!), but about what Salazar gave as the reason for Cain not going to Zurich.

Actually, I found EVERYTHING Salazar said as being questionable!
        1. He'd been saying all summer she'd do 2 DL's, and that she'd maybe go sub-4:00....meaning she was in GREAT shape!!

2. Then he says she was NOT in shape for Stockholm!

3. And then he says (or implies) she was in shape for Zurich (just 1 week later!!), but wouldn't go there because of the distance involved & time missed from school.

4. That's why I brought up the distance to NYC! I know it's further to Zurich, but 6000 (or 5000, as you say) miles is still pretty far to travel for just one race!
        And I'm guessing she'll have to miss at least one day of school!!

P.S. I lost respect for Salazar after his abominable behavior at USATF indoor.

Comment

Add Brenda Martinez to the mix!
          She just tweeted this race will be her last of the year.
          So the line-up so far (only names I know for sure) is:

Jenny Simpson
          Mary Cain
          Laura Weightman
          Hannah England
          Brenda Martinez

I'm sure there will be several others, but don't know who yet.

ADD:
          Just saw complete list.
          Most prominent names (besides ones listed above) are:

Morgan Uceny
          Sally Kipyego
          Sarah Brown
          Treniere Moser
          Brie Felnagle
          Kate Van Buskirk
          Heather Kampf
          Violah Lagat
          Last edited by aaronk; 09-04-2014, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Flying back home (!) non-stop, with only two extra hours, immediately to be reversed, is not remotely similar to flying to Europe/not home. No passport, single flight, home cooking, seeing friends she gets too see far too seldom, ... => take blinders off, cut Salazar some slack and get an assessment of where you really think she would be if she stayed on the track she was on before. Also, think twice about posting the same comments to people that have seen it ten times from you. Instead, focus on what you know and others often do not, so that we look forward to seeing your posts - shorter, a bit less frequent, but higher quality/interest.

AND (using caps for its internal emphasis), you are clearly learning because your posts in general are a lot easier to read now, they are organized, paragraphs, etc. I would not have thought a year ago that they would look this different! [and adding an additional comment, the 'wandering around on Wesley Frazier is acceptable in my book, but I think you already learned how to use the set of resources that you are now tapped in to and will be more efficient the next go round.]
            Last edited by 26mi235; 09-05-2014, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235 View Post
              Flying back home (!) non-stop, with only two extra hours, immediately to be reversed, is not remotely similar to flying to Europe/not home.
              If you're referring to the time zone difference, it's 3 hours not 2.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman View Post
                If you're referring to the time zone difference, it's 3 hours not 2.
                I know, I put it in to see if people were reading closely. ;>)

Comment

I'm sure deciding to run The Fifth Ave Mile is not as simple as a free trip home with some pretty high media exposure as a lagniappe.
                  Tom Hyland:
                  "squack and wineturtle get it"

Comment

Working...
                  X