Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the details on Anna Hahner.
    I watched that German livestream.
    The thing that struck me was her always smiling.
    I thought, what is she doing?, posing for the TV cameras?
    Now I realize that's her natural running style!
    (Reminds me a bit of my running hero Gerry Lindgren, who always seemed to be smiling in his races!)
    Being the livestream was by German people, I wasn't surprised they focused on Hahner, but would've been nice to see more of Flanagan.....or ANY women!!
    Even late in their race (last 3-4 miles), they showed only the men's finish/interviews, etc!
    They only got back to the women in the final 1000 meters!!

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk View Post
      Thanks for the details on Anna Hahner.
      I watched that German livestream.
      I was thinking that she was posing, too. But she sure looked pretty fresh for having run a 2:26.

Hopefully, Flanagan wasn't too disappointed with 3rd place and 2nd US performer all-time and a PR. She was really putting it out there by announcing that she was going for Kastor's record.

Comment

The men's race was fascinating, as it combined the best of both worlds. We had the WR attempt, complete with pacemakers, combined with an honest to goodness race. Props to Mutai for making it a race when the pacemakers dropped out. 14:10 . . . WOW!!!

On the Universal Sports video stream, it took the BBC announcers a while to clarify the difference between Kipsang's WR splits from last year and steady state WR splits, but once they did, they handled it well. The only thing that could have made the announcing better would have been if Kipsang, G Mutai, Bekele, Kipchoge and the rest of the top tier marathoners would have been in the race . . . but outside the Olympics, that just won't happen. More's the pity.

On the women's side, it was great to see Flanagan go for it from the beginning. You knew that, at some point, the Ethiopians would surge. The last 10k has proven to be the missing piece in Flanagan's arsenal. It was good to see her come back on Bekele for 3rd though. And how about Tsegaye's 3rd marathon of the year?!

All in all, a very satisfying race to watch. C'mon Chicago and New York!

Comment

Awesome race and WR time...hard for this distance runner with a 4:39.6 mile PR to believe that someone could average 4:41.5 for 26.2!

But I have to smile at people who think a sub 2 hour is going to happen...a 3 minute improvement on that already unreal time ain't going to happen.

Comment

I still don't think I'll ever live to see a sub-two hour marathon, but with today's Berlin results, I'm beginning to think it may happen sooner than I expected. Hard to imagine running on the streets that quickly. Incredible pace.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk View Post
              They asked her about that during the interview after the race. She said her main pacemaker kept telling her to smile because she was supposed to have fun and when you have fun you smile. That's what made her smile so much because she thought it was funny.

Comment

Originally posted by norunner View Post
                They asked her about that during the interview after the race. She said her main pacemaker kept telling her to smile because she was supposed to have fun and when you have fun you smile. That's what made her smile so much because she thought it was funny.
                Smiling could help you run faster.

http://running.competitor.com/2014/0...n-better_14623

Comment

Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
                  Kept looking for the word "satire" as a tag for the article....but didn't see it, so I guess they're serious.
                  Interesting.
                  Made me think of lead guitar players in rock bands who grimace as if they're constipated when they hit major guitar riffs!
                  Why?
                  Are they feeling the "hurt" of their blues??

Oh well, at least now I know why Anna Hahner was smiling all during the race!

Comment

Originally posted by BYU grad View Post
                    Awesome race and WR time...hard for this distance runner with a 4:39.6 mile PR to believe that someone could average 4:41.5 for 26.2!

But I have to smile at people who think a sub 2 hour is going to happen...a 3 minute improvement on that already unreal time ain't going to happen.
                    I hope I'm wrong, but IMHO I don't think there will ever be a sub-2 hour marathon. Before that point is reach, I suspect marathons, track & field, and sports in general will fall by the wayside. I think we will have higher priorities.
                    Last edited by G.Ahearn; 09-29-2014, 05:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
                      Kimetto's 5Ks, as originally tweeted by David Monti (exclamation marks his):

14:42 14:42 14:46 14:26 14:32 14:30 14:09 (!!) 14:42
                      So, thinking about the "sub-2:00 is just around the corner" enthusiasm (not attributing that sentiment to gh, just to be clear), and looking at the 5k splits posted here...assuming I can do basic math (always expect error), sub-2:00 needs to be about 7 sec/mile faster than Kimetto. Just for fun, his 5k splits at that level of improvement would have been ...

14:21, 14:21, 14:25, 14:05, 14:11, 14:09, 13:48, 14:21

For all I know, there is someone out there right now, ready to do this. Nevertheless, this looks unlikely to me. That would be a brisk opening 15k warmup, followed by a deadly 20k, followed by a quality 5k. Of course, I know these are not ideal splits, and I know there is that other 2.2k but in any case such a pace looks daunting, to say the least. As always, I will be pleased to be mistaken.

Comment

Working...
                      X