Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Men's POY thinking

2:02:57 - not just a world record, but a significant barrier breaker as well

Doesn't hold a candle to Lavillenie's mark for me.

Comment

6.16 all the way.

Not even close.

Even is one of the HJ'ers had done 2.46 Lavilinie would still have the POY easily.

Comment

Agreed

It was so out of the blue, it's like some own breaking 43.18 or 46.78
        i deserve extra credit

Comment

I disagree. A HJ WR would have been a no-brainer POY for me. The pole vault has that damn pole involved as a not-so-innocent third party, and I have no idea how much pole technology has improved since Bubka's previous WR.

Plus, Barshimenko are just awesome to watch fly

Comment

If it were the technology, you'd think people would be rewriting records up and down the line, but they're not. And there's also the matter of smaller pegs now making it harder.

Here's the best-ever mark-for-place chart:

1. 6.15i 20-2¼ Sergey Bubka (Ukraine) Donets’k 93
            2. 6.00i 19-8¼ Radion Gataullin (Russia) Liévin 93
            (A) Okkert Brits (South Africa) Sestriere 95
            Maksim Tarasov (Russia) GPF 97
            Jeff Hartwig (US) Athens 99
            3. 5.95 19-6¼ Dmitri Markov (Australia) Athens 99
            Hartwig Monaco 99
            4. 5.95 19-6¼ Tim Lobinger (Germany) Athens 99
            5. 5.86 19-2¾ Pyotr Bochkaryov (Russia) OG 96
            6. 5.86 19-2¾ Markov (Belarus) OG 96
            7. 5.81 19-¾ Aleksandr Averbukh (Israel) WC 07
            8. 5.81 19-¾ Lobinger WC 07
            9. 5.76 18-10¾ Steve Hooker (Australia) WC 07
            10. 5.76 18-10¾ Fábio da Silva (Brazil) WC 07
            11. 5.76 18-10¾ Maksym Mazuryk (Ukraine) WC 07
            12-13. 5.70 18-8¼ Giuseppe Gibilisco (Italy) OGq 04
            Lobinger OGq 04

Does that look like an event where there has been a recent technical revolution?

Comment

There is no men's POY thinking.

Lavillenie wins by default.

Comment

It didn't happen, but how would the vote have gone with someone jumping 2.46 along with Lavillenie's 6.16? Two venerable world records that hadn't been seriously approached since they were set.

Comment

How much lower does everyone think the men's marathon record should be? Clearly, two back-to-back 1:01:30 half marathons just doesn't cut it with some. Heck, there must be 20 guys back home in Iten that can knock that out.

Comment

I gotta confess a deep-set disdain for the pole vault, so that may have some effect on my thoughts about a HJ WR vs. Lavillenie's mark.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
                      It didn't happen, but how would the vote have gone with someone jumping 2.46 along with Lavillenie's 6.16? Two venerable world records that hadn't been seriously approached since they were set.
                      I'd go w/ Lavillenie because of the change in the PV standards.

Comment

I loved watching the 2:02:57, but 6.16 wins it. Taking down a 21 yr old record, that no one had come within 3 1/2" of, is phenomenal. Now, if Bekele or Kipchoge drops a 2:02:30 at Chicago . . . it will be a bit more difficult, but I would still lean toward the 6.16.

Comment

Originally posted by Fielding Melish View Post
                          2:02:57 - not just a world record, but a significant barrier breaker as well
                          2:03 is a significant barrier??? The marathon record has been improving by a minute every 3-4 years in recent times, so it really isn't that big a deal to see another full-minute barrier getting broken.

Either way, the record still isn't an outstanding one. 5 other men have run withing 1% of Kimetto's mark, 33 within 2%. That's more than in any other running event. Contrast that with Paula Radcliffe, who is still more than 2% faster than the second fastest woman ever.
                          Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Well, here I go again, going against the grain of thinking like T&FN does.

I look at INdoor T&F as completely different and apart from OUTdoor T&F.

Thus, Lavillenie's 6.16 gets the INdoor POY (and the AOY!!).

But OUTdoor POY?
                            That goes (so far) to the 2:02:57.
                            Last edited by aaronk; 10-01-2014, 01:54 PM.

Comment

I know many here don't care much about the walks, but I'd take 3:32:33 over 2:02:57 any day. 2:02:57 was awesome; 3:32:33 was a "did that really just happen?" moment.

Comment

Working...
                              X