Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alana Hadley Wins Indy Marathon

Yes, Alana Hadley, a 17 year old 11th grade HS student, has WON the Women's Division at the Indy Monumental Marathon!!

Winning time of 2:38:37 ibroke the Course Record set last year by....Colleen De Reuck!!!

It cuts her PR (set last year) by over 3 minutes!!

As far as I know, it's the 2nd fastest marathon by a HS girl.
    (But not allowed for record or list purposes because she's a Pro!)

But you gotta hand it to this young lady---despite all the criticism of "She's too young to run marathons, etc!"---She has just WON the race, and beaten a well-respected Olympian's time for the CR!!

Amazing!

Forgot to give some details.

She was paced (apparently!) by a few guys.
    She ran against a strong wind for the first half, then with a wind for the remainder.
    Her known splits were:
    10K--37:20
    13.1--1:19:28 (then 1:19:09 for a negative split!!)
    30K--1:52:44
    22 Miles: 2:12:53
    aaronk
    Last edited by aaronk; 11-01-2014, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Pro or not, it's #2 on the all-time US Junior list.

Comment

Gonna "hi-jack" my own thread (very temporarily!! LOL) to tell you ANOTHER High School Pro runner also won her race today.

Alexa Efraimson ran a XC race (in Portland??), where she easily beat a group of OTC members (and others), including Julia Webb.
        Course was apparently mistakenly lengthened by a bit, but the results show Alexa's "5K" time as being a HOT 15:44.....while a photo of her at the finish (on a track!!) has a clock showing her time as 17:09!
        Alan Webb said the course might be about "200ish" long in a tweet.
        But 200 meters doesn't acount for 1:25 of time!

Whatever the case, Alexa beat the runner-up by 23 seconds!!

The HS Professional ranks had a red letter day!!

Comment

How many of you know that Hadley is the Frosh class record holder in the 10000?
          She ran it in 34:59.38 in 2012.
          It's listed in Jack Shepard's HS Track as the 9th best time. (Performer! Cathy Schiro (O'Brien) has 4 times listed, 3 of them in 1984, and 1 in 1983!!)

I've suggested (in tweets) that she should take a crack at a fast 10K---as well as a fast 5000---before she graduates.
          Of course, even if she did, they wouldn't count, because of her pro status.
          She does track workouts, like mile repeats, so she's not a stranger to track running.
          But her focus is on marathoning.

Comment

I thought about starting a separate thread, but decided to just attach my comments to this one.
            As everyone knows, she DNF'ed the NYC marathon today with an ankle injury.
            (See her Facebook page for an explanation.)
            In my blog today, I commented on her choosing the "marathon only" approach to her training and her career.
            After posting---both on my blog and her Facebook page---I went to Let's Run to see what they had to say.
            I expected them to NOT agree with what I'd said.
            But they DID!!
            Here's the deal.

She's been running since age 6--for 12 years.
            She's run 3 marathons---a "slow" one, then 2:41:56 & 2:38:34 at the 2013 & 2014 Indy races.
            Her Half PR is 1:16:41, I believe.
            (As noted earlier in this thread, she's still the Frosh Class record holder in the HS 10K---34:59.38---run when she was 15!

My suggestion was for her to take a break from marathoning---for 2 or 3 years.
            During that time, train for, and race at track distances from the mile to the 10000--though focusing on the 5000 and 10000.

Right now, she's fallen into a pattern---IMO a destructive pattern.
            With 3 consecutive DNF's, she needs to take a rest.
            From marathons!

I've always believed that to run a certain time at a longer distance, one needs to run a certain time at a shorter distance.
            No, NOT going all the way down to sprint distances, but at minimum down to the 5000!

As noted, her Half PR is 1:16:41.
            I assume she eventually wants to run well under 2:30--but at least that fast.

How can she have the confidence needed to run TWO back-to-back 1:15's---if her best is 1:16:41?
            She should first run 1:11 or 1:12 for 13.1 before thinking about 2:30's or faster.

But even her NYC goal of 2:37 was wrong, given her Half PR.
            She'd be trying for halves of 1:18:30 off a PR of less than 2 minutes faster!
            How confident can she be, given those numbers?

If she trains specifically for track distances, and gets faster---then, after running, say, 32:00 or 32:30, it would be so much more psychologically easier to try for back-to-back 34:00 10K during a Half---which would be sub-1:12:00 pace!

She's stated she does NOT like track racing---and loves the marathon!
            But 3 DNF's in a row----at age 18---can't be good for her psyche!

She's fallen into a pattern---a negative pattern---and needs to break out of it.
            Returning to track racing---and track-specific training----even just for a couple of years----might help her in the long run----pun intended!!
            LOL

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk View Post
              After posting---both on my blog and her Facebook page---I went to Let's Run to see what they had to say.
              I expected them to NOT agree with what I'd said.
              But they DID!!
              Here's the deal.
              A lot of the posts on LetsRun supporting Hadley's approach are from her coach father who is at least part of the issue if not the problem.

Comment

Alana Hadley responds to criticism: http://espn.go.com/espnw/athletes-li...s-how-responds

That was a few days before the New York Marathon ... now with that being her 3rd consecutive marathon DNF of 2015, the criticism is going to keep on coming!

According to this other article from last week, she's made only about $10,000 total since going pro 2 years ago. Apparently she's only running for prize money, not a shoe contract.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/spo...e41809719.html
                She skipped out on a sure college scholarship to pursue her dream of running 26.2-mile races instead of the much shorter competitions that are standard in college. She and her family instead pay her way to college, helped by the approximately $10,000 she has made so far as a running professional.
                I sure hope her father is paying the bulk of her college expenses, to make up for the scholarships she lost as a result of going pro at 16 for peanuts (a decision which must have been influenced by him to some extent).
                18.99s
                Last edited by 18.99s; 11-04-2015, 02:16 AM.

Comment

It may be different for Africans---both male and female---who seem to be able to BEGIN their careers with the marathon---and never, or only later, run fast stuff on the track (5K, 10K, even 1500/mile).

But Americans seem to be different.
                  I can't think of any top American---male or female---who has BEGUN a successful elite career with the 26.2.

And even after running fast marathons, they don't abandon track races.
                  Flanagan & Goucher still run track races.
                  So does Des Linden.
                  I believe even Joanie ran some good 3000's in college before trying the marathon.

Cathy Schiro, the HSR holder in the marathon, ran 16:00 and 33:26 in HS (on the track).

Even Let'sRun people agree with me (shockingly! LOL).
                  She needs to go Track Only for 2-3 years, and get away from this "marathon only" lifestyle she's in!

I think a lot of those L-R people are right!
                  If she continues on this path----she'll be burnt out & retired by the time she's 22, and she'll never reach the level she aspires to (top 10 in the US).

ADD:
                  One more thing---about money.
                  You can't survive on marathon (or even half-marathon!) prize money---unless you're at the very top of the list---on the podium, or at least top 6 or 8.

If she wants to stick to the roads, then she needs to run the 5K's, 10K's, 12K's, 15K's, 10 Milers, and even Road Miles--to make the big money!

And to be successful there, she'd still need track-type speed to win the money prizes that will pay her bills!
                  aaronk
                  Last edited by aaronk; 11-04-2015, 03:02 AM.

Comment

The reason Americans don't start with the marathon is because of the NCAA system. If she can sustain making a living on the marathon circuit, it's a better route. Track requires alot of speed

edit: nevermind, just read 18.99's post. She's in a tough situation
                    Bolt's last year...and my last year as a track fan, it's been fun

Comment

Earlier this year she ran 35:53 for 10K: http://results.xacte.com/?kw=riteaid

According to all-athletics, that is her PB for a road 10K.

Even if she held that pace for a whole marathon, she still wouldn't break 2:30.

Of all the high schoolers going pro in the last few years, she's showing that she's the least ready.

Comment

Originally posted by 18.99s View Post
                        Of all the high schoolers going pro in the last few years, she's showing that she's the least ready.
                        It's up to her whether she runs for a college or not, but I agree, she is a long way from being a 'professional' at road running.

Comment

You can't survive on marathon (or even half-marathon!) prize money---unless you're at the very top of the list---on the podium, or at least top 6 or 8.
                          Of course she's not good enough to place well in the major marathons, but there are many other races where she's capable of finishing up there or even winning, like the one that started this thread. I presume she got paid for winning and breaking the course record in Indy

If she wants to stick to the roads, then she needs to run the 5K's, 10K's, 12K's, 15K's, 10 Milers, and even Road Miles--to make the big money!
                          She might do that to supplement her income, but to my knowledge the marathon is where the really big money is.
                          Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by Powell View Post
                            Of course she's not good enough to place well in the major marathons, but there are many other races where she's capable of finishing up there or even winning, like the one that started this thread.
                            But in those not-so-big marathons, the money is also not-so-big.

I presume she got paid for winning and breaking the course record in Indy
                            Not much, though.

Comment

Of course she's not making a ton of money running marathons at this point, but if she was running shorter distances at a comparable level, she wouldn't, either.
                              Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Working...
                              X