Jeremy Wariner. What a horse.

Re: Most Impressive Guy I Saw Yesterday

Four legs and a tail??

Comment

As in...El Caballo.

Comment

I agree, It's gonna be a treat to watch him in the 400m.

Comment

gh, I don't think he had the fastest split yesterday. What made him stand out? (he IS a horse).

Comment

Wariner looks fast when he's standing still, and he has great economy of motion when he runs.

As he gets stronger, he will keep on getting faster. I'm not sure how fast he can be, but it's well below where he is right now. I really believe that if he has the drive, and I think he might, he has the potential to break MJ's record, which is one of the most unassailable on the books.

Just a sophomore, too.

You can download videos of some of his races at http://www.jeremywariner.com

(-edited to fix link)

Comment

I've tried downloading videos from Wariner's site, but only get the audio. Any ideas?

Comment

Right-click on the link to the video, and choose "Save As". Then pick a directory to save the file to. After the file has downloaded, go to the directory where that file is, and double-click on the file to launch it in Media Player.

If you don't have Media Player, or you are running an older version, I can't help you there. And I'm completely clueless about Apple products.

Comment

I agree with you YCN. I've been watching this kid since high school. He has great mechanics, tremendous leg speed, turnover, and he's young. And correct me if I'm wrong, but further along at this point in his career than MJ was at the same age. It looks like Jeremy has an edge as far as physical tools compared to MJ, but we'll have to wait and see if he has the mental toughness and desire that Michael possessed. I know coach Hart has been pacing JW, and Darold for that matter,the entire season, so I'm pretty confident we haven't seen the best out of either one of them, yet.

Comment

He didn't look quite as smooth in the 400 heats yesterday, but then Baylor guys (and this NOT meant as a slam) always look better with batons in their hand. If I had to pick between Wariner and Williamson at this point, it would be very tough. Potter will be in it at least part way up the homestretch.

Comment

>He didn't look quite as smooth in the 400 heats yesterday, but then Baylor guys (and this NOT meant as a slam) always look better with batons in their hand. If I had to pick between Wariner and Williamson at this point, it would be very tough. Potter will be in it at least part way up the homestretch<

Valid point GH, and unfortunately often very accurate. My hope is that all of the young men in the race run well, push each other, and we see one hell of a race.

Comment

I expect Kelly Willie to PR again today - 44.7 but it may not be enough to win.

Comment

Allow me to resurrect this thread because.... even w/ things like both 400H finals and w/ his running only 45.39, Wariner again made an indelible--even if not quite "most impressive"--impression on me in winning his QF yesterday.

Comment

so what 'type' is he?

Evans? hard working
                            James? smooth
                            Reynolds? strong
                            Johnson? upright, choppy

Comment

Wariner positions himself so he can gauge what it will take to win in the last 150 meters. He paces himself against the pace of his fastest opponents and seeks to be enough faster down the stretch to win.

It's going to be hard for anyone to outsprint him to the finish, but not impossible. But don't expect him to run out of gas, because it just isn't likely to happen.

That was his NCAA style, but he might adopt another for the trials, like trying to make a statement (I hope) tonight.

Comment

Working...
                              X