Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WC 2019 Thread [Doha wins]

Apparently previous thread deleted because it was in the middle of pages filled with spam. Nice job. :roll:

Anyway, I see Doha as a favourite. This poll suggests the same http://www.insidethegames.biz/polls/...orld-athletics
    Last edited by gh; 11-18-2014, 01:09 PM.

I don't pay much attention to Internet polls. This one is no exception. Doha may win it, but I very much doubt that it will be the lopsided runaway that this poll seems to suggest.

Comment

I'm not feeling the credibility of a poll that asks the question:

Which city do you think host the 2019 IAAF World Athletics Championships?

Comment

Doha says it will stage meet in October. Previoius latest end of the meet was September 6.

Comment

Would that imply that the whole structure of the T&F season should be changed that year? I just don't see top athletes competing in the DL from early May to early September and then achieving season peak a month or more after the end of the series.
          Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

That seems way too far out of bounds for a WC to be held. This would push the season so late and force athletes to peak so late. The DL would be over a month before the champs start...

Comment

They'll undoubtedly try to justify it by noting that Seoul ended in October and Mexico City was in October, and Tokyo was in October.

All those, of course, are before the advent of the professional circuit, so it made virtually no difference to the athletes. Now, of course, it would severely compromise their timing on making a living.

And I don't see many/any DL meet volunteering to step and be held in September. They have traditional windows that are there for a reason.

Bad idea all around

Comment

wow that is very late....but i'm sure IAAF really don't care about that.

Comment

Also, the meet in October would probably prevent collegians and high schoolers from trying for the team.
                  They would have school and XC commitments.
                  I know it was done before-----Lindgren & Ryun in Tokyo----but can any student take a week or more off from school for that?

Comment

the effect on the school years of U.S. athletes is the farthest thing from the IAAF's mind.

Comment

Maybe common sense will prevail.

Or not.

Comment

The final presentations will be streamed live on the IAAF YouTube channel between 12-13:30 tomorrow, local time I assume.

Comment

According to Ken Goe of the Oregonian, the decision will be announced at 4AM PST, so that pretty much jibes with the above times, which would be Swiss times. Can David knock off two Goliaths? Stay tuned.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
                            Doha says it will stage meet in October. Previoius latest end of the meet was September 6.
                            Doha says the Championships would start on October 1, which is interesting cause in my calendar that is Tuesday and as far as I recall WC starts on Saturday and ends on next Sunday... However I do think something between September 20-30 wouldn't be so late, if Doha wins.

Comment

Since I've heard mention that they might air condition the venues, who knows? Seems a colossal waste of fossil fuels. Oh well, at least it's an easy jump over to India after the meet ends, should they choose what I would consider the third best choice for the meet.

Comment

Working...
                              X