Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lifting before a competition

I've heard that some coaches prescribe Olympic lifts either the day before a competition or even the day of as a way to stimulate the nervous system. Has anyone had any experience with this? Any literature out there?

Thanks.

Re: Lifting before a competition

I've only done it a time or two, but i've had really great success when trying to jump after doing my olympic lifts in practice. granted i can't jump for long, i do jump fairly high. i think a couple quick explosive lifts to warm up the muscles and get the neuro side of your body firing is a great idea.

Comment

Last year (with my soccer coach hat on) I heard about this pre-match firing up of the CNS. I'd love to hear more. Anybody got web resouces?

Comment

the one small related tidbit i can give on a personal note.. about 20 minutes after 3 sets of relatively fast squats, my vertical leap improves about 5 inches.. yes, you read that right.

Comment

corroboration, anyone? If that's true, I know what my jumpers will be doing on meet day next spring. Are the results any different than with the 'regular' meet warmup with running, bounding, dynamic stretching, etc.?

Comment

Comment

by the way, as an addendum.. i am not a jumper so i dont train for that kind of thing.. i dont have a highly developed vertical to begin with.. but 4-5" is common for me to gain after stretching + fast squats

Comment

The Eastern Jumpers were doing this back in the
                '70s. They also used to warm-up very little just before jumping. Hardly took any practice jumps. This is well known now and many people are doing it.

Comment

I don't have anything scientific, but I used to go to school early and lift--just half as many as a normal workout, and I felt like I had a LOT more "spring" than when I didn't. I don't know how much actual effect it had, other than psychological--I "felt" springier though.

Comment

Working...
                  X