X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new qualifying procedures for 2015 Worlds

check out the link on the front page.

as we noted there, "there will be a quiz!"
    Last edited by gh; 11-19-2014, 06:27 PM.

I did some quick scanning. It seems like the sprint qualifications are pretty easy compared with performances in 2014. There were nearly 100 people who would qualify for the 100 standard, of course, 24 of them were in the US so many won't make it out of early heats at the USATF meet. There were approximately the same number for both 200, 400, and I think 800 and 1500.

Now for the field events, the standards appear much more stringent for at least the PV and HJ(43 for HJ and 34 in the PV).

What is the method behind these standards? Does IAAF just assume that any standard they create for a lot of running events will get dominated by a couple countries so they need to lower them to let more people in?

Obviously, if they only let the top 43 people into the Marathon, there would only be a handful of people show up for the meet from a handful of countries.

Comment

This should read "for 2015 Worlds".

Comment

What are the preliminary entries that are required by April 22nd 2015 ?

Comment

I'm all for this if it means more heats in the 100's, woohoo!!
          Bolt's last year...and my last year as a track fan, it's been fun

Comment

Thank you IAAF for including the Mile as a qualifier for the 1500m at Beijing 2015.

Comment

Yay! No more A & B crapola.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
                I did some quick scanning. It seems like the sprint qualifications are pretty easy compared with performances in 2014. There were nearly 100 people who would qualify for the 100 standard, of course, 24 of them were in the US so many won't make it out of early heats at the USATF meet. There were approximately the same number for both 200, 400, and I think 800 and 1500.
                lol I just want to point out that in 1984, 10.19 took silver (ole Ben Johnson bronze in 10.22) and the standard is now 10.16 to even qualify.

Comment

The age limits rules seem to eliminate any possibility of people like Alana Hadley (marathon) or Sydney McLaughlin (400H) even trying to make the team!
                  And no, I'm not saying they WOULD make the team, if eligible!!

Comment

Originally posted by dustoff View Post
                    lol I just want to point out that in 1984, 10.19 took silver (ole Ben Johnson bronze in 10.22) and the standard is now 10.16 to even qualify.
                    What would 5.65 or 2.28 done that year?

Comment

8th place in the high jump and 5.65 is equal to the silver medal spot, even though pole technology is superior today.

Comment

Noticed top 8 finishers from "IWR" in relays qualify + top 8 from yearly list.
                        What is IWR ?

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Kritzler View Post
                          What is IWR ?
                          IAAF World Relays
                          Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Top-8 from World Relays 2014 qualify automatically but Top-8 from World Relays 2015 not. Well that makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
                              I did some quick scanning. It seems like the sprint qualifications are pretty easy compared with performances in 2014. There were nearly 100 people who would qualify for the 100 standard
                              89, to be precise. But the number goes down to 48 when you take into consideration the 3-per-country rule. And the qualifying period is less than a full season, so that's going to reduce the number a bit more.
                              Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Working...
                              X