Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Athletics moment of 2014

With NCAA XC Champs over, I thought maybe this wasn't too early to start thinking about. Personally, I'm going to have to go with the end of the Asian Games men's marathon:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0Xb9rlFIBo
    The top three neck and neck, all battling for the top spot into the stadium and in a championship marathon, really great drama.

The Junkaroo show right before the World Relays was a close second for me. Tied for third were Pavey and Bolt's Indoor WR. Thought the Polish organizers were clever and did a great job with the 100m race. I hope the American Track League was paying attention.

What was your favorite moment of the year?
    spammer
    Last edited by spammer; 11-30-2014, 08:33 PM.
    Bolt's last year...and my last year as a track fan, it's been fun

The IAAF "officially" declared Bolt's mark as outdoors.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
      The IAAF "officially" declared Bolt's mark as outdoors.
      Darn it, well, I guess it was good while it lasted. I think I'll just pretend that it was indoors
      Bolt's last year...and my last year as a track fan, it's been fun

Comment

w100H in Mannheim/Gremany in july: All six starters failed at the third hurdle, video here: http://www.leichtathletik.de/tv/vide...terinnen-raus/
        I remember watching the livestream and laughing histerically, they were eventually allowed to run again because it turned out the distance between hurdle 2 and 3 was wrong.

Comment

Mine is a virtual tie between two videos showing women falling at the end of a race!

In no particular order, they are:

when I first saw the ESPN video "Catching Kayla"
          when I saw the video showing Jenny Simpson & Shannon Rowbury both falling at the end of their Zurich 1500

Why?
          Because both of these videos evoked intense emotional reaction from me.
          And I live to be moved emotionally.

Best race(s), however, were the Women's TWO MILE races held at Pre and Sainsbury!
          I love the 2 Mile distance, so was very happy those meets had such deep fields for them, and honored the distance!

Comment

Originally posted by norunner View Post
            w100H in Mannheim/Gremany in july: All six starters failed at the third hurdle, video here: http://www.leichtathletik.de/tv/vide...terinnen-raus/
            I remember watching the livestream and laughing histerically, they were eventually allowed to run again because it turned out the distance between hurdle 2 and 3 was wrong.
            That happened at the Polish NC a few years back in the 110H. One flight of hurdles was placed at the wrong point. The result wasn't quite as spectacular, though - IIRC, a couple of runners actually finished the race, albeit with much slower times than you'd normally expect them to run.
            Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Only once was I standing up and screaming at the TV: Meb holding on to win the Boston Marathon.

Comment

Originally posted by spammer View Post
                With NCAA XC Champs over, I thought maybe this wasn't too early to start thinking about. Personally, I'm going to have to go with the end of the Asian Games men's marathon:
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0Xb9rlFIBo
                The top three neck and neck, all battling for the top spot into the stadium and in a championship marathon, really great drama.
                Since you nominated a marathon race in Asia, I'd like to remind you that we still have Fukuoka this weekend.

Comment

The Barshim-Bondarenko high jump at the New York Diamond League meet would certainly be on my short list.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman View Post
                    The Barshim-Bondarenko high jump at the New York Diamond League meet would certainly be on my short list.
                    I'll second that !

Comment

I'll third that. It saved the meet for me since the longest men's race was the 800. (There was a kid's mile and a high school boy's mile but that was it on the "men's " side. I was thinking about not going in the future because of this failure by the meet promoters, and then the high jump salvaged it all.

Comment

Lots of nice moments this year.
                        However I'll have to go back to the beginning for the best one (for me): the Pole Vault Star meeting in Donetsk was broadcasted on French tv, and I remember watching it with my parents and how we all stood up and screamed when that WR fell.

Comment

Agree, Meb's win at Boston 2014 #1 moment; truly unbelievable and shocking.

#2 moment Fifth Avenue Mile 2014 finishes, particularly the men (blanket): http://bringbackthemile.com/news/det...n_fifth_avenue

Comment

6.16. I thought Lavillenie would be able to do that when I saw him at Pre in 2013. He just needed to get the right vault under the right conditions. He was headed for that mark on a nice clear path through the indoor season and then he did it.

There have been several people who could possibly have done it an they never pulled it together. Lavillenie did it. That was the big moment for me.

Comment

My favorite event was at the Penn Relays, watching Columbia HS Girls team win the 4x800. It was thrilling watching Columbia's Anchor, Olivia Baker, walk down the Jamaican National 800m Champ and in the process running the fastest 800m split in Penn Relay history (2:02). It was a great moment in USA HS track and field.

Comment

Working...
                              X