Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would Webb be NCAA Champ?

If Webb had stayed at Michigan do you think he would have won Nationals this year? Or, would he be watching from the sidelines like Robison?

If he was able to win, how would this accomplishment look compared to his 3:32?

Those proponents of the "collegiate experience" may conclude that an NCAA title, even in a relatively very slow time, is more important than having the fastest time in the world thus far this year.

Others, of course I include myself in this group, would argue that NCAA system doesn't develope and nourish top talent, but instead grinds and burns it - developing mediocrity along the way. I would also suggest that if Alan had stayed at Michigan he would be no where near 3:32 and may not even won the title. And even if he was able to win the title, this is very insignificant when compared to the "big pricture" of the world-class athletics - running 3:32.

Re: Would Webb be NCAA Champ?

I think it's a somewhat moot point to ask this question, as he does not need to prove himself on the collegiate level, I think he's done enough this spring to reinforce that. Secondly, I disagree about collegiate athletics. While it is possible that some athletes do get burned and ground, there are just as many that develop well as a result of competing in, essentially, a semi-pro type of circuit.

Comment

"moot point"
      exactly - playing the woulda/shoulda/coulda game is fun sometimes, but Webb is where he should be, doing what he should be doing.

Comment

>"moot point"
        exactly - playing the woulda/shoulda/coulda game is fun
        >sometimes, but Webb is where he should be, doing what he should be doing.

Maybe, just maybe the "woulda coulda shoulda" provides lessons for others. To say "there are just as many that develop well as a result of competing in, essentially, a semi-pro type of circuit" is not true - simply look at the success of the NCAA over the past decade (this is primarily referring to middle distance and distance runners). How many of these "semi-pros" have made it to become real "pros"? Alan was barely making it as a "semi-pro" before he was given the opportunity to break out of the "grind-it-for-the-team" system.

The "Web-experiment" has now shown that it has merit and should be taken to a broader group of test subjects in an attempt to find a better way to nurture, not destroy, young talent.

Comment

Alan was barely making it
          >as a "semi-pro" before he was given the opportunity to break out of the
          >"grind-it-for-the-team" system.

How much a year does Webb get from his Nike
          contract ?

Comment

>Alan was barely making it
            >as a "semi-pro" before he was given the
            >opportunity to break out of the

How
            >much a year does Webb get from his Nike
            contract ?

Not sure what your point is but my guess is that he has some good incentive clauses.

Comment

How
              >much a year does Webb get from his Nike
              contract ?

Not
              >sure what your point is but my guess is that he has some good incentive
              >clauses.

Well say if he has a five year guaranteed million dollar contract. I would say he made it as a pro
              financially no matter how he runs. Not that money is the most important thing. They say a
              guy like Ryan Leaf never was successful at pro football. On the field he did not make it , finacially I am sure he is doing ok.

Comment

>Alan was barely making it
                >as a "semi-pro" before he was given the
                >opportunity to break out of the

If you are calling college the "semi-pro", then
                I get what you are saying. I thought you were
                calling his last year and a half "semi-pro".

Comment

I don:t think the rest of the competitive world will give a hoot at the Olympic Games of which athletes won NCAA championships when the runners are introduced. When El Guerrouj has his name read aloud, he will have a bunch of accomplishments and records read that we can all agree will be far superior to NCAA titles he could have won between the ages of 18-21 in the USA had he competed there.

Comment

I agree, but I would hate to see college track go the way college basketball or football is going. It would be sad to see alot of top college
                    athletes leave early and make an NCAA individual championship less meaningful.

Comment

>It would be sad to see alot of top college
                      athletes leave early and make an NCAA individual championship less meaningful.

I agree with you when looking at team sports like football and basketball... even track, if all of the star 400m athletes, for example, decided to skip this season in lieu of the Olympic dream, would there be as much excitement surrounding the possible sub-3 any number of teams can reach this weekend? Even in this example, however, everything surrounds the team.

Comment

"I agree, but I would hate to see college track go the way college basketball or football is going. It would be sad to see alot of top college
                        athletes leave early and make an NCAA individual championship less meaningful."
                        i dont see this happening. not enough money, but for an extremelly talented few the pro ranks seem to work.

maybe there needs to be a iaaf draft new balance gets the first pick followed by reebok, then adidas, then nike

Comment

Skyin Brian-

Yes, a pro system would only be for the very, very talented few - the cream of the crop of the youngsters. The NCAA is fine for what it is - a way to get very good (not the best) athletes an education while competing for their school. This is fun, but not a way to groom world class talent.

I don't know how many kids would or should be put in the group of potentially world-class. Certainly Webb, Ritz and I would even had said Hall from the class of '01 would be in this group. I would think a guileline of preps - sub 1:50, sub 4:03, sub 8:45, sub 14 would be a possible start, though of course the standards would need more consideration.

But, we need discussion. Alan, with Nikes help, has started it. Rupp is giving the alternate route a shot. It would be great for extremely talented kids who want more than the NCAA has to offer to have an option while still getting an education.

A "draft system" sounds funny but might actually work - still corporate buy-in would be necessary. Maybe USTAF could help to get things rolling. Oh, I forgot, they have to work on the drug scandle control!

Comment

Working...
                          X