Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 200, 10k, Shot, and more? [cutting events]

Say it ain't so! There is certainly much room for improvement in the presentation of Track & Field . . . at every level, and especially at the Olympics and World Championships. There has been much discussion on these pages and in T&FN through the years. But removing up to five events? AUGH!

Yes, the 10k has almost disappeared from the circuit in the last several years, and much of that talent has chased the $$ in 10k road races. However, many of the greatest races include the '72, '96, '00, and '12 OG 10k's.

The Shot also? No! I could go on, but there HAS to be ways to present the events better, rather than doing away with them. Say it ain't so!
    Last edited by gh; 12-10-2014, 07:52 PM.

I know most (all??) will disagree----vehemently----but I'd suggest doing away with the Olympics as the be all-end all of T&F Royalty!
    With 2 WC's between each Olympics in recent years, and with the ridiculous expense, and with the Gen-X type new events being added, the OG is no longer the great and respected centerpiece of T&F.

So let's not fret about eliminating events from the schedule.
    Let's do what most major sports do----hold WC's EVERY year!!

Does baseball suffer by having a World Series every year?
    Has football lost face by holding the Super Bowl every year?

As for athletes not being able to handle an every-year schedule, I don't think that would be a problem.
    Most events would have enough quality athletes to make for a great show each and every year!
    And it wouldn't have to be the same exact list of names every year.
    T&F is a sport that produces dozens of NEW names every year, so there would be more than enough to spread the wealth fairly equitably at each year's WC.

Then the Olympics could have all their X-Games "sports, and NBC could go into bankruptcy with their GMA-type presentations costing billions, while T&F became a professional sport followed for the main reason that it IS (and presents itself as) a Professional sport!!

Don't eliminate any events!!
    If anything, ADD events!
    Starting with the Decathlon and 50K Walk for Women!!
    Last edited by aaronk; 12-10-2014, 10:00 AM.

Comment

I LOVE how former rower Dick Pound (best stupid-person name EVER) is willing to get rid of some T&F events, when his own sport could get rid of almost ALL the inane races except the 8s, and no one would even notice!

Comment

How do we re-shape Track and Field for the Olympics?

The IOC says after 2020 there will be a maximum of 310 events and 10,500 competitors in the Olympic Games. There will be no limit on the number of sports so the current 28 sports could increase. Track and Field currently has:
        * 47 events which is 15.2% of the 310 maximum.
        * 2,200 competitors which is 21.0% of the 10,500 maximum

What events, if any, are at risk of being dropped?
        Should the IAAF offer up events for dropping?
        My picks for most at risk - 50km walk - 10,000m - hammer

However, my main recommendation is that the IAAF should put a cap on competitors at 1,500. This then is a meaningful offer, so to speak, which would likely find favour with team sports with large numbers of participants but low numbers of events.

What the IAAF needs to do is oppose those sports which want in to the Olympics but have large numbers of events.

Sports like weightlifting, judo, wrestling, boxing should be forced to "widen" their weight ranges so as to reduce event numbers. Having 10 weight divisions for men's boxing is frankly ridiculous.

The positive advantages for Track and Field is in spectator attendance and TV viewer interest. The attendance at London for track and field was, so I understand, about 1,500,000. And while track and field is ignored by the world most of the time, I believe it is still the most popular sport for TV viewing at the Olympics.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuariki View Post
          My picks for most at risk - 50km walk - 10,000m - hammer
          As Lord Coe sez. cutting events in Track is a non-starter - ain't gonna happen on his watch. I am in favor of cutting the T&F fields but the individual national federations will vote overwhelmingly against that.

I'm guessing Coe will win the IAAF Presidency and he is already on record as NOT accepting event cuts, so there ya go!

Comment

Points raised above remain valid, but Dick Pound was a swimmer, not a rower.

Comment

So many Olympic sports are not contested worldwide. Track and Field is. No events should be eliminated.

Comment

I would like it very much if they eliminated the discus, 50k walk, hammerthrow, triple jump, sprint hurdles, pole vault, 20k walk, 400m hurdles, steeplechase, and javelin.
                Bolt's last year...and my last year as a track fan, it's been fun

Comment

Originally posted by rsb3 View Post
                  Points raised above remain valid, but Dick Pound was a swimmer, not a rower.
                  Fair enough - lots of loser events there too! ;-)

Comment

How about they get rid of every swimming event other than freestyle?

Could you imagine if track and field had backwards running or hopping on one foot?

Comment

Originally posted by spammer View Post
                      I would like it very much if they eliminated the discus, 50k walk, hammerthrow, triple jump, sprint hurdles, pole vault, 20k walk, 400m hurdles, steeplechase, and javelin.
                      Hahahahaha. No.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
                        Hahahahaha. No.
                        : ( ok Which events do you think they should cut?
                        Last edited by spammer; 12-11-2014, 02:41 AM.
                        Bolt's last year...and my last year as a track fan, it's been fun

Comment

I think they could cut the 200, 10k, 50k race walk, and like half of the swimming events. Or replace the track 10k with a road or cross country 10k. If you have the same people routinely competing against each other in different events in the same sport, it's a sign the events are too similar. Keep the relays for additional head to head competitions against sprinters, same for swimming, keep the relays, less individual events.

Too bad the IOC met right after the USATF Annual Meeting, I would have liked to hear what Stephanie and Bob thought about this subject

Comment

Oh and FFS, if the IOC wants to cut synchronized swimming, cut all four of the synchronized diving competitions while you are at it.

Comment

4 relays can go. Olympics should be for individuals, not countries.

Comment

Working...
                              X