Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bruce Kritzler View Post
    4 relays can go. Olympics should be for individuals, not countries.
    Surprisingly (to me), I kinda agree....

Comment

So, you think they should get rid of basketball, soccer, doubles tennis, volleyball, field hockey, rugby, rowing, ice hockey (winter), etc....?

Comment

We should keep all the events but transform the calendar in the run up to the Games by holding prelims in the 2-3 weeks build-up. I'd do the same for the World Champs so that we no longer have the 2-3 week hiatus in the middle of the season. Top athletes wouldn't be affected - no need for an additional peak because even in the period of tailing down before the big event they should be able to handle a couple of rounds of heats.

Comment

The first events (and sports) to be cut should be the kindergarten things like BMX Biking, which could become part of the Youth Olympics. I could personally stand to see the Walking events dropped from the Olympic t&f schedule; and perhaps Cross Country could be added to the Winter Olympic programme, with individual and team medals awarded.
          I also agree that many hopelessly contrived Swimming events could easily be drastically cut - let's just see who is quickest across the water, regardless of style.

Comment

Y'all are nuts. We, of all people, should not be suggesting any cuts, lest when they come for us, there's no one left to protest (poor paraphrase). If they want to add events they're going to have to pare fields in the other events, not cut entire events. And when they try and pare fields, all holy hell is gonna break out from the smaller nations. Good luck with that.

Comment

Divide and concur anyone?

Small fields makes sense if it is about keep the numbers at a reasonable level.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Kritzler View Post
                4 relays can go.
                This.

And the same goes for swimming; they may have a lot of doubling, tripling and worse and plenty of weird styles, but the only swimming events I'd actually support cutting are the relays.

Comment

You realize,of course, that the proponents of all the other sports feel just as passionaltely about their events as we do ours?

I'd say the reality is that cuts are coming in a business-driven age, so get used to the idea.

Comment

If it raises the prestige of the World Champs then I'm fine with it.

Comment

Originally posted by John G View Post
                      If it raises the prestige of the World Champs then I'm fine with it.
                      Any event cut from the Olympics will founder immediately. The WC will also be degraded by their weakening.

Lord Seb will do the sensible thing and ask for field size cuts, not events being cut.

Comment

They should get rid of the sports where gold medals in the Olympics are lesser worth than other victories(Tennis, Golf, Soccer).

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                          Any event cut from the Olympics will founder immediately. The WC will also be degraded by their weakening.

Lord Seb will do the sensible thing and ask for field size cuts, not events being cut.
                          That doesn't appear to be on the table: there are two caps. Both number of athletes and number of events.

Comment

They should get rid of the racewalking events, the steeplechase, either the 5000 or the 10000, and *possibly* the 200.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post

If a whole sport was cut it would suffer but the loss of 5 less popular events out of week long programme would not have any impact on the public perception of the sport. Joe Public wouldn't even notice if the walks, or WHT for example were cut. Personally, I'd pay more attention to non-Olympic events at the WCh because a WCh gold would be the pinnacle of the competing athletes' careers.

Regardless, as I mentioned earlier I'd be in favour of cutting the number of competitors by holding prelims at other venues in the 2 -3 weeks prior to the Games. It would build anticipation and raise public awareness of the sport even more.

Comment

Originally posted by JumboElliott View Post
                                They should get rid of the racewalking events, the steeplechase, either the 5000 or the 10000, and *possibly* the 200.
                                If anything should be cut from T&F, it should start with the out-of-stadium events - Marathon and Walks! Let them be their own sports. Neither are Track OR Field!

Comment

Working...
                                X