Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

200, 10k, Shot, and more? [cutting events]

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    I'm already preparing my IAAF voodoo doll for the first bozo that tries to touch any of our events.
    I'm with you 100%

    Comment


    • #47
      This may be late to the discussion, but I would much rather see fewer competitors per event than fewer events. 2 entries per country rather than 3 seems like it would solve their numbers problem. Am I being naive regarding this possibility?

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by CoachBarto View Post
        This may be late to the discussion, but I would much rather see fewer competitors per event than fewer events. 2 entries per country rather than 3 seems like it would solve their numbers problem. Am I being naive regarding this possibility?
        You must have missed my post a few up.

        IOC is mandating caps on both participants and events. And they're adding events, meaning that some existing ones have to go.

        Comment


        • #49
          John Goodbody piece now in "Day's Best Reading" on the front page is a good analysis of the subject.

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by gh View Post
            some existing ones have to go.
            What are the odds that reason will rule and they will cut events according to actual world-wide (lack of) participation (T&F being one of the world's largest participatory sports).

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by huntinwr View Post
              I wouldn't miss the 200 or eliminating at least one relay. It is never been fair that sprinters could double/triple and also team up on relays. If they're going to drop the 10,000, then add a distance medley relay!
              If it is unfair that sprinters can double or triple then swimming is where a lot of cuts should take place.

              It would be absurd to leave swimming untouched if that is the reasoning for eliminating events like the 200m running event.

              In swimming, there are 17 events each for men & women), in track there are 14 for men and 13 for women: 34 to 27.

              Here is the swimming list from London:

              men 100m backstroke
              men 100m breaststroke
              men 100m butterfly
              men 100m freestyle
              men 1500m freestyle
              men 200m backstroke
              men 200m breaststroke
              men 200m butterfly
              men 200m freestyle
              men 200m individual medley
              men 400m freestyle
              men 400m individual medley
              men 4x100m freestyle relay
              men 4x100m medley relay
              men 4x200m freestyle relay
              men 50m freestyle
              men marathon 10km

              women 100m backstroke
              women 100m breaststroke
              women 100m butterfly
              women 100m freestyle
              women 200m backstroke
              women 200m breaststroke
              women 200m butterfly
              women 200m freestyle
              women 200m individual medley
              women 400m freestyle
              women 400m individual medley
              women 4x100m freestyle relay
              women 4x100m medley relay
              women 4x200m freestyle relay
              women 50m freestyle
              women 800m freestyle
              women marathon 10km

              Track events:

              men 10000m
              men 100m
              men 110m hurdles
              men 1500m
              men 200m
              men 20km walk
              men 3000m steeplechase
              men 400m
              men 400m hurdles
              men 4x100m relay
              men 4x400m relay
              men 5000m
              men 50km walk
              men 800m

              women 10000m
              women 100m
              women 100m hurdles
              women 1500m
              women 200m
              women 20km race walk
              women 3000m steeplechase
              women 400m
              women 400m hurdles
              women 4x100m relay
              women 4x400m relay
              women 5000m
              women 800m
              Regards,
              toyracer

              Comment


              • #52
                if you apply a specific participation-rate metric, track wouldn't be judged as a whole, but by consituuent events. Remember, they're talking cutting events, not sports. So take just about any field event in our sport and worldwide there are probably fewer participants than there are in "many" sports that aren't in the Olympics. In other words, be careful what you wish for with that line of thought.

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by toyracer View Post
                  If it is unfair that sprinters can double or triple then swimming is where a lot of cuts should take place.

                  It would be absurd to leave swimming untouched if that is the reasoning for eliminating events like the 200m running event.

                  In swimming, there are 17 events each for men & women), in track there are 14 for men and 13 for women: 34 to 27….
                  The IOC most certainly doesn't look at this way: there are 47 athletics events and 34 swimming. We're a much bigger target.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Diving counts toward swimming just like field events count toward track, so that is 8 more right there, right? So 42 swimming to 47 athletics... it would be absurd to make cuts to track without making cuts to swimming, and synchronized diving is a good place to start, that is 4 right there.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by gh View Post
                      if you apply a specific participation-rate metric, track wouldn't be judged as a whole, but by consituuent events. Remember, they're talking cutting events, not sports. So take just about any field event in our sport and worldwide there are probably fewer participants than there are in "many" sports that aren't in the Olympics. In other words, be careful what you wish for with that line of thought.
                      But isn't the key distinction how many NATIONS participate? In that regard I'm betting there are WAY more nations that have numbers in, say, Hammer Throwers or Triple Jumpers than have in smaller niche, i.e., 'disposable' sports. I'm hoping the IOC is trying to 'protect' the smaller nations from being shut out of the Olympics. The number of athletes in T&F events is more spread around the globe than many other sports (Synchronized ANYthing!).

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by polevaultpower View Post
                        Diving counts toward swimming just like field events count toward track, so that is 8 more right there, right? So 42 swimming to 47 athletics... it would be absurd to make cuts to track without making cuts to swimming, and synchronized diving is a good place to start, that is 4 right there.
                        According to Wiki (Bam, where are you?!), you're wrong. FINA controls 4 different sports (whereas iAAF has only 1).

                        So in their parlance, swimming has 34 events, diving 8, synchro swim 2 and water polo 2.

                        See entire chart here

                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic_sports

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                          But isn't the key distinction how many NATIONS participate? In that regard I'm betting there are WAY more nations that have numbers in, say, Hammer Throwers or Triple Jumpers than have in smaller niche, i.e., 'disposable' sports. I'm hoping the IOC is trying to 'protect' the smaller nations from being shut out of the Olympics. The number of athletes in T&F events is more spread around the globe than many other sports (Synchronized ANYthing!).
                          Nations aren't protected by events likethe hammer or TJ (or any field event). Those are all highly technical disciplines which are overwhelmingly populated by the "have" nations.

                          But one reason track gets (and will probabaly keep) large participant number is because it indeed serves as a dumping ground for all the "Olympic tourists" who only get into the Games because of the 1-per-nation rule. Which, of course, has been refined in recent years so we no longer see things like the Tonton Macoute in the 10,000. It's why there are 50-odd people in the 100 and it goes 4 rounds. Eats up lots of nations just like that.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            I have a modest proposal.

                            The IAAF could offer to leave the Olympics completely and focus on World Championships. That would free up 47 events and 2,000 athletes.

                            Think how much smaller the Olympic village would be. They would not need to build the stadium for the opening and closing ceremony. All those events could be omitted from TV. I wouldn't have to sit through 5 minute advertising chunks in order to put up with a 3 minute heartwarming story of some obscure athlete and 2 minutes of competition.

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              A modest proposal, but one that will never see the light of day. Athletics are at the core of the Olympics. "Citius, Altius, Fortius" is all about Track & Field.

                              No way any athlete will forego the chance to become Olympic Champion. No way the IAAF will forego the visibility, money, and influence that comes with the Olympic Games.

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Originally posted by bobguild76 View Post
                                A modest proposal, but one that will never see the light of day. Athletics are at the core of the Olympics. "Citius, Altius, Fortius" is all about Track & Field.
                                No way any athlete will forego the chance to become Olympic Champion. No way the IAAF will forego the visibility, money, and influence that comes with the Olympic Games.
                                A modest proposal is satirical in nature and I thought it hit mark perfectly.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X