Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

200, 10k, Shot, and more? [cutting events]

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    It is never possible to talk about dropping events without hurting friends, but my 2 cents...

    I can't support the walks over inside the stadium events. Period.
    That cuts 2.

    There are 4 jumping events, 4 throwing events, 5 distance events (800, 1.5k, steeple, 5k, 10k), and 5 sprint/hurdle events (1, 2, 4, 1h, 4h).
    For symmetry's sake I'd drop the 10k and 400H. Great events, but not as high on my list as the others.

    If possible I would fight like hell to keep both relays, but if forced I could loose the 4x400. Internationally it does not have the love that Americans feel for it.

    Not a fan of contraction but if forced those are my choices and reasons.

    Comment


    • #62
      Originally posted by Atticus View Post
      A modest proposal is satirical in nature and I thought it hit mark perfectly.
      True dat! Read through those lenses . . . I love it. :-)

      Comment


      • #63
        I believe that the late Primo Nebiolo once threatened the IOC by proposing that Olympic track & field be confined to Under-23 athletes; thus boosting the status of the World Championships. If the IAAF was to adopt that policy again, the number of participating track & field athletes at the Olympics would surely be reduced.

        Comment


        • #64
          Originally posted by CoachBarto View Post
          Not a fan of contraction but if forced those are my choices and reasons.
          I love how this proposal has turned us into cannibals, more than happy to eat our fellow T&F fans. Do not play the game - SOLIDARITY!!! Zero cuts to any events. Cut other, less global sports, but don't tread on T&F!
          >:-(

          Comment


          • #65
            Originally posted by Hedgecock View Post
            I believe that the late Primo Nebiolo once threatened the IOC by proposing that Olympic track & field be confined to Under-23 athletes; thus boosting the status of the World Championships. If the IAAF was to adopt that policy again, the number of participating track & field athletes at the Olympics would surely be reduced.
            That was before the Olympics became the cash cow that it now is, and when Primo dreamed that he could make the WC as big as the Games.

            Mehtinks the IAAF is now too dependent on the Games as a cash cow to do anything to interrupt the status quo.

            Comment


            • #66
              A bit of contraction in Track and Field is not such a sad thing, until you realise the number of so called sports in the OG which are completely elitist, or bloody expensive,or not natural.
              At least running and jumping start early on at school and are natural activities.As is swimming.
              Archery... totally elitist and done by relatively few and with enormous expense.
              Rhythm gymnastics... very clever but a real sport... never.!
              Slalom Canoeing ... big deal.
              Fencing... as elitist as any. Not many Africans and Asians doing that sport.
              Clay pigeon shooting . Wow!!!!
              Trampolining . How many do that I wonder.
              I would rather have 20/20 cricket than some of the shit passing as sport... at least Indians , all1.2 million of them, would love it.

              Comment


              • #67
                Originally posted by toyracer View Post
                If it is unfair that sprinters can double or triple then swimming is where a lot of cuts should take place.

                It would be absurd to leave swimming untouched if that is the reasoning for eliminating events like the 200m running event…..
                I think when push comes to shove eliminating doubling/tripling/whatevering will not happen. At least not to any great degree.

                Do you really think NBC would let the IOC take away the chance for a Bolt-like triple gold, or even more significantly, the eleventeen-medal runs by Spitz and Phelps? "Feats" like that are over the top for TV (and the print media too), and one thing the IOC is trying to do is maximize popularity.

                Comment


                • #68
                  Originally posted by bennyg View Post
                  I would rather have 20/20 cricket than some of the shit passing as sport... at least Indians , all1.2 million of them, would love it.
                  1,200 million!!

                  And I agree with your sentiments. 20/20 cricket is an ideal sport for the Olympics and TV. Its inclusion in the Olympics would likely see a very rapid growth in many countries, especially Africa, and is those countries where sport gambling is big. An easy game to play, and at a relatively low cost in regards to the basic equipment needed.

                  At the top of the disposal list I would have the modern pentathlon.

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Originally posted by Tuariki View Post

                    At the top of the disposal list I would have the modern pentathlon.
                    How about BMX, Mountain Biking, Trampolining, Canoe Slalom?

                    Soon Sportsclimbing, Wakeboard, Dancesport and Ultimate Frisbee are coming. So we can clearly see why they have to drop T&F events!!!!!!!

                    And why has Swimming been allowed to add 2 events in recent years, 50 Free and Ocean Swimming. Just the fact that Spitz and Phelps could win 7 and 8 Golds in one Olympics should indicate too many "similar" events.

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      I'm not remotely a swimming fan, but they scored a PR coup by adding the 50 Free (pure, raw speed). The IAAF should have taken a cue from that and added the same to its program. Seriously.

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Originally posted by bennyg View Post
                        A bit of contraction in Track and Field is not such a sad thing, until you realise the number of so called sports in the OG which are completely elitist, or bloody expensive,or not natural.
                        You left out THE most elitist, and perhaps expensive, Olympic sport of all....equestrian. (And though I'm from Kentucky, I think getting on the back of a 1200 lb animal is more unnatural than rhythmic gymnastics.)

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          O my God, I think this whole thing must be a CIA driven revenge plot against us kiwis for still having an anti-nuclear policy. Horse riding (3 day eventing), the shot, canoeing, rowing, yachting are the events that NZ is really good at and where we win Olympic golds. And everyone wants to get rid of them.

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            Originally posted by Tuariki View Post
                            O my God, I think this whole thing must be a CIA driven revenge plot against us kiwis for still having an anti-nuclear policy. Horse riding (3 day eventing), the shot, canoeing, rowing, yachting are the events that NZ is really good at and where we win Olympic golds.
                            Nah, it's just a serendipitous bonus as payback for how good you guys are for being such an teensy country!

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Originally posted by gh View Post
                              I'm not remotely a swimming fan, but they scored a PR coup by adding the 50 Free (pure, raw speed). The IAAF should have taken a cue from that and added the same to its program. Seriously.
                              I would love that. It would also tend to put a different set of sprinters into the mix (with the exception of Justin Gatlin). 60M guys do not tend to do well at the 100. Likewise, the top 100 guys usually don't bother with indoors so we don't know how good Bolt, Gay, etc are over the very short distance.

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                my micromngment offering
                                Based predominantly on how long each has been part of Oly menu
                                Eliminate ( I think most that remain have a lengthy history ... cept women who were just barely given a full plate (?)
                                m 50 kilo walk
                                synchro swim - team duet
                                bunch of kayaking I don't know
                                track cycle - keirin (?), ommium (?)
                                canoe/kayak slalom
                                bmx x 2
                                mountain bike x 2
                                rhythmic gym
                                synchro syncro dive board
                                synchro dive platform
                                womens synchro dive board
                                womens synchro platform
                                tramp
                                badminton
                                golf
                                rugby
                                taekuando
                                table tennis
                                m 1500 free
                                m one of the breaststrokes
                                m one of the butterflys
                                m one of the medleys
                                w one of the medleys
                                w 800 free
                                shooting (double trap)
                                air pistol
                                air rifle
                                and I got tired and this with a nickle will not get you anything
                                I'm sure powers that be will adopt

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X