Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Euro XC Championship Men's Race. Is this bad for athletics?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JumboElliott View Post
    Any women's race (aside from the marathon) over 3000 meters is an absolute snoozer for me.
    Anyone who would snooze while Baby Face is running needs help !!
    i deserve extra credit

Comment

Originally posted by Hedgecock View Post
      I note that alongside the invasion of East Africans into Europe is the fact that Cross Country STILL does not allow women full parity with men. The Junior (Under 20) women's Championship was won in a time under 15 minutes, suggesting a distance of around 4km. That is a ridiculously short time for elite juniors to be racing. Senior women race 10,000m on the track and Marathons on the road, yet in nearly every Cross Country Championship, their distance is 8km (which is around 47m short of 5 miles), whilst the men compete over 12 km (7 miles, 803 yards, according to TFN's BIG GOLD BOOK). Why are senior women not allowed to race over 10 or 12km on cross country courses, exactly as the men do?
      Couldn't agree more

Also it is very noticeable that female 'european' athletes have no problem beating off the 'african invasion'

They seem to have a totally different attitude to their male counterparts
      i deserve extra credit

Comment

Originally posted by spammer View Post
        What if the US did what Bahrain and other countries do and Asbel Kiprop won the USATF 1500 in two years? That's not good man.
        Not Asbel Kiprop, but I'd love to see Lawi Lalang, Stephen Sambu, Sally Kipyego and Betsy Saina at the USATF (assuming they want to compete), and Buzunesh Deba at the Marathon OT (which she does want to compete in).

In fact, I think Lagat competing in the USATF has been one of the greatest things happened to the US distance running in the last decade. And not just because of all the medals he won for the Team USA, but because he made every one around him better. (This is from a "spectator" perspective. The runners who have competed against him at the USATF might have different opinions.)

Comment

My thoughts:

Athletes moving to another country should have to live in their new country 5 years to gain citizenship.
          Citizenship would include being able to break National records.
          Until that time, any marks that break the new nation's records would have to share the record with that nation's NATIVE-born record holder, so there would be two records.
          T&FN does that with Collegiate Records, where they list the best by an AMERICAN Collegian....if that mark is not ALSO the best-ever by ANY Collegian!
          Also, I think it's okay for foreigners to particpate in another nation's National Championship, but they should NOT be allowed to vie for place, Meet Records, or any monetary awards in that meet!
          Those should go to Native Citizens ONLY!!
          (This of course goes for Americans competing in, say, the British or French or Japanese National Championships, as well as vice versa!)

I thought (and still think!) it was ridiculous for Wilson Kipketer to be designated as the Danish National Record holder when he ran those WR's soon after starting to "reside" in Denmark!
          Ditto with Khalid Khannouchi's Marathon WR's being called American Records!

As for the NCAA, I think a Native American (NOT meaning Indian!!) winner should be listed, along with any foreigner who wins those races.
          That's for the individual races.
          For the team races, I think it's okay for foreign runners to score team points.

Finally, I believe VERY strongly that women should run the exact same distances as the men!
          And that goes from High School to College to the Pro's!

Comment

Originally posted by mump boy View Post
            Anyone who would snooze while Baby Face is running needs help !!
            Amen! Especially when she and Defar are in the same race!!

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk View Post
              I thought (and still think!) it was ridiculous for Wilson Kipketer to be designated as the Danish National Record holder when he ran those WR's soon after starting to "reside" in Denmark!
              What's your definition of 'soon'? Kipketer had lived in Denmark since 1990, and he didn't start representing the country (and thus wasn't eligible for setting Danish records) until 1995.
              Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Just wondering if Aaronk is still thinking that it was ridiculous that the Danes recognised Kipketer as their national champion and national record holder

Comment

Working...
                X