• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kipsang skipped drug test, might be banned for a little while

Say it isn't so... article on front page
    http://www.supersport.com/athletics/...est_revelation
    Bolt's last year...and my last year as a track fan, it's been fun

Since when does missing one test result in a ban?

Comment

Originally posted by nztrackfan View Post
      Since when does missing one test result in a ban?
      It doesn't. The whole story is absurd. Athletes miss tests all the time. There's no penalty at all until the 3rd missed test within 18 months. I can't imagine why anyone would release information about a single alleged missed test. I say alleged because there seems to be some doubt about the facts. It may not have been a missed test at all.

Comment

In my opinion, skipping tests is a more egregious offense than taking a test and failing.

Comment

Originally posted by JumboElliott View Post
          In my opinion, skipping tests is a more egregious offense than taking a test and failing.
          I believe many missed tests are inadvertent. The athlete changes his plans after filing his daily whereabouts info months in advance. He or his agent forget to re-file and the tester shows up and finds the athlete not there. This can happen in situations where the athlete is not trying to avoid a test. The rules recognize this, and do not consider a single missed test (or even two of them) to be a violation. Even when there's a third, the athlete is given the opportunity to explain each of the incidents. The anti-doping authorities are sometimes satisfied with their explanations, though not always--athletes have been banned for multiple missed tests.
          Last edited by tandfman; 12-17-2014, 10:48 PM.

Comment

One British sprinter missed a test because his doorbell didn't work and so the testers couldn't wake him up at 6am. Sometimes shit can happen to missa test but that isn't the same as failing. I can't say failing a test is worse than failing but certainly if somebody refuses to be tested or does a runner, or hides in their panic room when testers come calling then that should be taken as serious as a failed test.

Comment

I think there's an issue with phrasing - there's a world of difference between a missed test (weren't available to be tested by the testers at your front door) and missing a test (wilfully not taking one). He was potentially going to be done for the latter but is now being done for the former (and thus no punishment), is my understanding

Comment

Refusing a test is a clear doping violation. Once you've been told to give a sample by a properly authorized tester, either in or out of competition, you gotta give that sample. If you refuse, unless you have "compelling justification", you've committed a violation.
                2-year ban under current rules.

Comment

Originally posted by eldanielfire View Post
                  One British sprinter missed a test because his doorbell didn't work and so the testers couldn't wake him up at 6am. Sometimes shit can happen to missa test but that isn't the same as failing. I can't say failing a test is worse than failing but certainly if somebody refuses to be tested or does a runner, or hides in their panic room when testers come calling then that should be taken as serious as a failed test.
                  Paging Jumbo Elliott

Comment

The article speaks of a "missed" test. Not skipping a test. You trigger-happily made the leap all the way to skipping a test. Familiarizing one's self with the terminology can help us all assuming you were not just trying to nail Kipsang at any cost.

Wilson Kipsang, the New York and London marathon titleholder has alleged a plot by Athletics Kenya (AK) to tarnish his name after the federation revealed Tuesday he has been notified by world governing body IAAF of a missed drug test.

Comment

Using the term "avoided" for deliberately ducking a potential test might make a cleaner distinction than using missed and missing.

Comment

oops, I understand the situation now, my mistake.
                        Bolt's last year...and my last year as a track fan, it's been fun

Comment

Working...
                        X