Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Article says that Gatlin feels like he has a chance at Rio Gold.

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Article says that Gatlin feels like he has a chance at Rio Gold.

http://www.aljazeera.com/sport/featu...422767578.html

Really good article with Justin Gatlin interview. It will be a great battle in 2015 for the world no. 1 ranking in the men's 100.

I really wonder if Bolt's camp is rethinking the decision to have Bolt undergo surgery on his foot in 2014. What if it hampers him, but he just doesn't feel pain so he doesn't realize it?

You would have to think that Gatlin is the favorite for 2015 and 2016. You would expect him to run any Euro meet he is invited to and give the fans their money's worth. I imagine Bolt will only run the meets he is sure that Gatlin is not running, or maybe they give us one treat before Beijing. I'm curious what Bracy, Bailey-Cole and Tyson Gay do. I don't really care what Walter Dix does unless he went on some kind of diet in the off season. It would be interesting if Nesta Carter or Asafa Powell could beat KBC once or twice, or if Bromell could beat Gay and Ryan Bailey at the trials. Seeing Bromell against Mike Rogers will be really fun new matchup.

I don't see anyone touching Dasaolu in England or Vicault in France, but it would be interesting to see the two square off head to head. As far as the NCAA's go, we get Friday, Bromell, and hopefully Burrell this year. The most interesting African head to head would be Magakwe vs Wilfred Koffi Hua, but not sure if it will take place. In Asia, it's hard to see anyone touching Femi Ogunode, but I'm more interested to see who wins the Japanese and Chinese national championships, they should be competitive. Australia, only the women's is interesting, and its over.

But for the King of the Castle in 2015, Gatlin is probably in the best shape. That means a decade since his first title, he's still the best. The US is back in a big way and the future looks good too. : ) Does anyone else feel like chatting about the men's 100?
    Last edited by spammer; 12-24-2014, 05:08 PM.
    Bolt's last year...and my last year as a track fan, it's been fun

Gatlin is FOUR years older than Bolt, who turns 30 on the last day of T&F in Rio. This will be their last hurrah. As such, I can't help but think that Bolt will do what he has to, to go on on top. If Bolt is healthy and fit, I can't see him losing. It may 'only' be in the 9.7s, but it will be good enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
      Gatlin is FOUR years older than Bolt, who turns 30 on the last day of T&F in Rio. This will be their last hurrah. As such, I can't help but think that Bolt will do what he has to, to go on on top. If Bolt is healthy and fit, I can't see him losing. It may 'only' be in the 9.7s, but it will be good enough.
      The only reason I'm less confident in him than Gatlin is because of the foot surgery this year. What if it was a mistake and doesn't let him be number one anymore? I think Gatlin's work ethic built over years will be too much for Bolt this year. : ) Gatlin will be in the 9.7's too. Very interestingly, Gatlin still has a chance to tie Bolt in individual 100m WC and Olympic Golds if he can survive through 2017. Bolt may still have had the better overall career because of times/other events, but if Gatlin matches him in 100 golds, he definitely did more with much less god given talent.
      Last edited by spammer; 12-24-2014, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Good grief.

Comment

Originally posted by Flumpy View Post
          Good grief.
          Dreamin' my Marianne Faithfull dreams. Olympic century final 2016. No Usain Bolt, no Asafa Powell, no Justin Gatlin, no Tyson Gay, no Mike Rodgers around. No Other Ugly, Old, I-Ain't-Got-No-Personality Dudes around. The 100 used to be an interesting event. Armin Hary with an Armin Hary start. Bob Hayes bulldozing. Funny-walking Jim Hines. Steve Williams as Steve Williams. Michigan-filtered calypso by Hasely Crawford. Straight blah blah from Donovan Bailey. Thinked-through blah blah from Ato Boldon. Nine point eighty-seven identity crisis in the royal form of Linford Christie. The Soviet Roboman - Athletics Weekly headline 2005: "Valeriy Borzov; Man Or Machine" - was more alluring than any of these pieces of meat today. In a word, new blood in retro, thank you.

Comment

I agree, BusterZanga, it might be just nostalghia but outside of Bolt and now Gatlin who is speaking his mind to the media more, the personalities from 100m past seemed a lot more intriguing. I loved Donovan Bailey's "I wish we could race one more time so I can kick his %#@ again" in Toronto. They just aren't like that anymore. Also, if you read the old guys' autobiographies, everyone from Charlie Paddock to Hayes to Christie, etc. their lives were much more interesting.

Imagine how much intrigue and attention it would bring if Justin Gatlin said in his next interview something like, "I will crush Bolt". I would love that. I also wish more of the sprinters spent more time practicing their pre race camera poses. It should be something elaborate like touchdown celebrations or even in Europe some soccer goal celebrations
            Last edited by spammer; 12-25-2014, 02:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by spammer View Post
              Imagine how much intrigue and attention it would bring if Justin Gatlin said in his next interview something like, "I will crush Bolt". I would love that......
              Intrigue?? Give a break. Even Gatlin knows such a statement would have no credibility. At major championships 2013 WC and 2012 OG, Gatlin was smoked by Bolt. At 2011 WC Gatlin couldn't even make the final. His 2014 season was excellent but his best time doesn't provide any credibility for "crushing" Bolt.

Originally posted by spammer View Post
              .......I also wish more of the sprinters spent more time practicing their pre race camera poses. It should be something elaborate like touchdown celebrations or even in Europe some soccer goal celebrations .
              Well this really is a novel idea. I think if you check out the NFL (and NCAA) touchdown scorers and the soccer players (worldwide) who score goals, you will see they wait until they actually score before they celebrate. But hey, if it excites you to see Gatlin do an elaborate victory celebration a few minutes before Bolt wipes him off the track - well, each to his own.

Mind you, I guess I am a bit of a hypocrite because I did enjoy the elaborate butt wiggle antics of Michelle Jenneke before she went out and got dusted. But while Michelle reminds me that my hormonal level has not completely joined the ranks of the pterodactyl I prefer to watch Sally Pearson.

Comment

hahaha, I can't wait until you have to eat your words about Gatlin and Bolt in August. I agree about the Janneke dance. It even got coverage on sportscenter. Imagine if Lolo Jones thinks up something for next season. Alot of the women are good with on camera celebrations, the 100m men are just ok.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                  Gatlin is FOUR years older than Bolt, who turns 30 on the last day of T&F in Rio.
                  Don't forget Gatlin also had 4 years away from the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by ATK View Post
                    Don't forget Gatlin also had 4 years away from the sport.
                    I don't subscribe too heartily to the years-of-use theory. Gatlin's body will be about 4 years past its prime (est. at 29 a while back . . . not that some people (Ottey!) can't extend it). While he ain't gettin' no younger, he is presumably getting smarter, so he could PR. Bolt wouldn't need to.

Comment

How dare Gatlin believe in himself!

F-ing lol.

Comment

I am sure Gatlin has great belief in himself; and good on him for it. As much as I have concerns because of his past he had a great 2014 and has every reason to feel confident. And while it is possible that Gatlin might crush Bolt (i am in the non-believer camp) his record does not justify the making of such a boast. and I note Gatlin hasn't made such a boast. Good on spammer for being so enthusiastic in what I predict is the lost cause of waving the Gatlin flag.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuariki View Post
                          I am sure Gatlin has great belief in himself; and good on him for it. As much as I have concerns because of his past he had a great 2014 and has every reason to feel confident. And while it is possible that Gatlin might crush Bolt (i am in the non-believer camp) his record does not justify the making of such a boast. and I note Gatlin hasn't made such a boast. Good on spammer for being so enthusiastic in what I predict is the lost cause of waving the Gatlin flag.
                          At the very least, if Gatlin continues to progress, Bolt cannot have an off day and hope to win.

Comment

True that, but Gatlin's biggest opponent for continuing to progress is not Bolt but Father Time.

Comment

I love the way Spammer studiously avoids ever mentioning the elephant in the room: the fact that Gatlin is an unrepentant doper who somehow got away with two positive tests during his career and managed to avoid a lifetime suspension. Let's face it - 26 years after that memorable 100m final in Seoul, the sprints at elite level are soaked in drug use. How many of these guys could run sub 10.00 without doping?

Comment

Working...
                              X