Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolt front page article.

I noticed the front page brief statement by Usain Bolt that he thinks he can break his 100 and 200 records and even break 19.00 in the 200.

I know this has been discussed here at length but I couldn't help putting in my 2 cents: I am confident that Bolt will run fast again but he is past his peak and won't break his records, let alone break 19.00.

Those who may think Bolt can break 19.00 are dreamers...just like those who think a sub 2 hour marathon will happen.

Originally posted by BYU grad View Post
    Those who may think Bolt can break 19.00 are dreamers...just like those who think a sub 2 hour marathon will happen.
    Well . . .

A. A sub-2 Marathon WILL happen, even if it takes 50 years.

and

B. NO ONE thought MJ's 19.32 would be broken so quickly and so easily.

so, if I were you, I'd remember to never say never!

Comment

Mr. Bolt is the greatest sprinter ever and has done about all one can ask of a athlete...

I too believe that we have seen his best.

Comment

I predict Bolt will never break two hours for the marathon.

Comment

Prior to this year, Gatlin's best 200 was 20.00 in 2005 when he was 23 years of age. For the 4 years from 2010 to 2013 his best was 20.11 in 2012 at the age of 30. I doubt too many pundits last New Year's Day (as it is at the moment in the Antipodes) would have bet on a 32 year old Gatlin improving 0.32 to run his 19.68.

Bolt is now 28. His best at this age was a day before his 23rd birthday. The betting odds suggest he probably won't go under 19.00. I, for one, will not be surprised in the slightest if he does, as Gatlin has shown the improvement is clearly possible.

Kim Collins has shown world class sprint PBs can be achieved at age 38. Ditto Merlene Ottey.
          Freaks can never be counted out. And Bolt was, and remains a freak, and I imagine with good management he will reconfirm that in 2015 and 2016.

Comment

Mr. Bolt also had a foot surgery in 2014 and hasn't run fast since having it. He might feel like he can run 9.6, but I'm guessing the surgery slowed him down and he can't feel it.
            I think Mr. Gatlin will beat him at Worlds, but he needs a PR guy to stop him from doing Kilty-esque things like this:
            http://www.news.com.au/sport/sports-...-1227087200590
            Last edited by spammer; 01-01-2015, 05:14 PM.
            Bolt's last year...and my last year as a track fan, it's been fun

Comment

Originally posted by spammer View Post
              Mr. Bolt also had a foot surgery in 2014 and hasn't run fast since having it. He might feel like he can run 9.6, but I'm guessing the surgery slowed him down and he can't feel it.
              Given the foot surgery in March, plus his hamstring problem, I don't think you can read anything into Bolt's performances for the 2014 season. He certainly showed enough that it would be premature to wrote him off at this stage.

I think Mr. Gatlin will beat him at Worlds, but he needs a PR guy to stop him from doing Kilty-esque things like this:
              http://www.news.com.au/sport/sports-...-1227087200590
              While you may ultimately be proven correct about the winning of the world's next year I'll still put my money on Bolt. And if Bolt has a broken leg, then I'll put my money on someone else; anyone but Gatlin. Gatlin has never admitted or acknowledged that he did wrong in his PED use - always blames someone else. Happy to give him a pass on offence #1, but not #2.

And the link you provided just shows what a low life he really is. If he took a leaf out of the Dwayne Chambers book, people like me might be more sympathetic and supporting.

Comment

Yeah, the Gatlin tweets had me scratching my head. I thought that must have been an April Fools Joke. What was he thinking???? D'oh
                But I'm still in his camp for 2015

Comment

His Instagram account was hacked.

Yeah, the Gatlin tweets had me scratching my head. I thought that must have been an April Fools Joke. What was he thinking???? D'oh
                  But I'm still in his camp for 2015

Comment

Originally posted by Grasshopper View Post
                    If that is true then he has every right to feel aggrieved.

However, "my account was hacked" is the standard response from most idiots who have made a dumb-ass social media comment. And Gatlin does have a history of never taking ownership of his actions - it always someone else.

Comment

True, but I think he did things like shutting it down and he is a more likely target for such things and it does not really seem like the sort of statement that he would actually make. It seems likely but not certain that it was hacked.

Comment

Originally posted by Grasshopper View Post
                        Thank goodness. I do think he should trash talk Bolt though

Comment

How old was Carl Lewis when he set his 9.86 WR?

How old was Michael Johnson when he set his 19.32 WR?

How old was Michael Johnson when he ran 43.18?

Point is, it can happen, even if it's not likely. I'd say Bolt has more raw talent than either of these two greats, so what's to stop him from grinding out another great year or two?
                          You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

Bolt has several immutable positives right now

1. He has the talent.
                            2. Having been-there-done-that, he knows exactly what it takes.
                            3. He's more mature.
                            4. He hears time's winged chariot hurrying nearer, so he should have a new-found sense of urgency.
                            5. Gatlin is out there in front, giving Bolt a bit of the underdog sense. Those that haven't written Bolt off yet, doubt he can PR (see the many posts above).
                            6. He can reap the biggest financial reward by going out on top.
                            7. He can ensure his immortal reputation by going out on top. To me, Oerter and Lewis's 4-peats make them the ultimate Olympians, but a treble-treble will surpass that.

He used to be suspect in the hard-work department, but 2016 is a finite, doable goal; that's a big incentive.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleRBar View Post
                              I predict Bolt will never break two hours for the marathon.
                              DoubleRBar...really enjoy your posts...but, didn't realize until today you have a sense of humor.

Comment

Working...
                              X