Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allyson Felix and Mary Cain

What are their racing schedules for 2015? I hope that Felix runs several 400s including USAT&F then runs all Diamond League sprints after USAT&F. The same applies to Cain in the 1500 and 800.

You mean, someone ELSE started a new thread on Mary Cain??!!
    LOL

As for your question: the only news from Cain is that she'll race the Armory Invitational on Jan 31 in the 2 Mile, apparently going for the "Junior" WR, Defar's 9:34.03!

(I wish she'd go for the American Record....Jacobs' 9:23.38!)

Other than that, I'm pretty sure she'll run Millrose & USATF, the latter because she's the 2-time defending champion!

As for Felix, the only thing I've heard is that she wants to run more 400's this year!
    (If she does this, and doesn't get the AR (OUTdoors, I mean), I'd be shocked!)

Comment

Thank you. I look forward to an interesting 2015 and I agree about Felix's 400 potential.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk View Post
        As for Felix, the only thing I've heard is that she wants to run more 400's this year!
        (If she does this, and doesn't get the AR (OUTdoors, I mean), I'd be shocked!)
        I would honestly be more shocked if she did.

Comment

me too… think that ship sailed too many years ago (another case where I'd absolutely love to be proven wrong)

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
            me too… think that ship sailed too many years ago (another case where I'd absolutely love to be proven wrong)
            I think that her sprint PRs in 2012 show that she can set a U.S. record at 400 if she doesn't repeat her mistakes of 2011.

After defeating Montsho for the sixth consecutive time for 400 at Rome, she placed fourth in the 200 45 minutes later. In Eugene the next week, she went out slowly and finished third behind Montsho and Dunn.

I had thought that her winning the USAT&F 400 proved her endurance, but she opted for "Bobby's Boot Camp" instead of running Diamond League sprints. She failed to win another individual race in 2011.

I had counted 33 races by her in 2007, so I think that "Plan B" will work for her.

Comment

I have to agree with GH on both fronts, won't happen but I hope it does.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedster View Post
                I have to agree with GH on both fronts, won't happen but I hope it does.
                This is going to sound absurdly over-simplistic, but I really think she could do it if she 'wanted' to, i.e., she has the talent, but . . . the will required to train hard enough and then to execute a super-fast 400 is ENORMOUS. Does she have the 'fire', at this point in her career, to do it? It would have to be somewhere like Zurich where all the variables lined up correctly.

Comment

Allyson Felix floats over the track like a gazelle. ……... Bet you don't print that!

[correct: and guess what happens if you pull shit like that again]
                  gh
                  Administrator
                  Last edited by gh; 01-08-2015, 03:08 PM.

Comment

I have no real idea what AF might be able to do in the 400. I also know that history does not dictate what she can do. But it gives me something with which to guess. AF will be 29yo through this season (turning 30 late in the year). This year, she will be 4 years removed from her lifetime best (49.59, 2011). Looking (all-athletics.com) at the list of all 18 USA women who have run sub-50, only 2 did so at older than age 29. Jearl Miles Clark was 30yo & about 3 months shy of 31 when she ran her lifetime best. Debbie Dunn was 32yo when she ran hers. (Each did so in a winning performance at USATF.) The other 16 achieved their lifetime bests at ages ranging from early 20s to about 27yo. Not saying a great, driven 29yo athlete cannot do this, but ... it seems unlikely. I will be happy if she runs sub-50; happy+thrilled if she runs a new PB; happy+thrilled+astonished if she runs sub-49; and something more than all that if she gets the AR. And I hope she does any or all of this. I am a big fan, and I think she is a great ambassador for this great but tarnished sport.

Comment

Originally posted by Master Po View Post
                      AF will be 29yo through this season (turning 30 late in the year). This year, she will be 4 years removed from her lifetime best (49.59, 2011). Looking (all-athletics.com) at the list of all 18 USA women who have run sub-50, only 2 did so at older than age 29. Jearl Miles Clark was 30yo & about 3 months shy of 31 when she ran her lifetime best. Debbie Dunn was 32yo when she ran hers. (Each did so in a winning performance at USATF.) The other 16 achieved their lifetime bests at ages ranging from early 20s to about 27yo. Not saying a great, driven 29yo athlete cannot do this, but ... it seems unlikely.
                      It's not just her age by itself. This summer, 11 years will have passed since Felix won her first global medal. Plus the fact she was nowhere near her PR at any distance in either 2013 or 2014. I also think it's too late in her career to expect a breakthrough like that.
                      Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

^ Yes, I agree. Upon looking over her career to write that post, I had one of those moments that I often have upon reviewing the long career of a great champion athlete. I may not have counted right, but in those 13 seasons (2001-2013), she has been in 18 international championship-type competitions, considering all kinds (OG, WC, WIC, WJC, WAF, Pan-Am). And within those, 29 specific event competitions (individual & relay). And of course, most of those have rounds. Moreover, she has almost always been in the finals (only 2003 WIC & 2003 WC aside). And of course has almost always medaled (only 2002 WJC 200 5th, 2012 OG 100 5th, and 2013 WC injury DNF aside). Add to all of that the rigors of international qualification via the USATF championships, and you have a 13-year career so busy with competition at such a high level, that I would have to think she is at her ceiling, in terms of lifetime bests. But,as always, we will see!
                        Master Po
                        Last edited by Master Po; 01-08-2015, 04:28 PM.

Comment

It's interesting to assess the capacity for improvement in an established and successful athlete (cf. the speculation over Bolt's ability to still PR). There are so many variables, both psychological and psychological, some within the control of the athletes and some out of their control.

Conventional wisdom is that 29 seems to represent the average peak physical year for an athlete. But . . . the non-physical factors can supplant any physiological 'realities'.

- New coach or change in training philosophy
                          - Competitive experience
                          - Desire to not be satisfied with the status quo
                          - Change in life-style
                          - incentives like $$$ or interpersonal relationships

For those who think she (or Bolt, e.g.) are past their prime can be enormously surprised when an athlete's MOTIVATION changes. Perhaps all that she (or Bolt) has accomplished represents only a portion of the actual reservoir of talent available. The fun part is . . . we'll see.

Comment

^ Yes! (Though I forgot to add, for Felix, the additional strain on the body of having to climb the medal podium so many times, and the added weight of wearing those medals even for a short period of time. Think what that would do to you!)

Comment

Originally posted by Master Po View Post
                              ^ Yes! (Though I forgot to add, for Felix, the additional strain on the body of having to climb the medal podium so many times, and the added weight of wearing those medals even for a short period of time. Think what that would do to you!)
                              Laugh not! The figurative weight of all that can indeed be heavy!

Comment

Working...
                              X