Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boston 2024 It Is

Congrats to Boston. As a huge Red Sox and Pats fan dating back to the '60s, I love Boston. However, a part of me thinks that LA might have been a better choice due to the better existing infrastructure. Now we'll get to wait until 2017 to see if we get an Olympics while also seeing what sort of public support (or outrage) such a huge expenditure will generate. Will Gillette be able to install a track, I wonder, or will a new facility be built that will allow for huge crowds?
    Last edited by bruce3404; 01-08-2015, 11:50 PM.

Bid calls for a new stadium. 80k seats, then scaled back to 20-40k seats. Most likely used for football/soccer/lacrosse going forward.

Comment

my ranking (not necessarily preference) would have been LA, SF, Boston, DC. So I'm more than slightly surprised.

Comment

I do not think Boston is the most practical place to stage an Olmpics but, on the bright side, MA is one of the ten states in which I have never worked a track meet. I admit, they may not select many 94 year old officials but I am putting my name in the hat.

Comment

Should this actually materialize, I suspect it'll make those Bostonians forget all about the "Big Dig". As they think-back on the pain, inconvenience, and expense of that experience it'll surely be relegated to the status of "minor inconvenience" by comparison. At least they got something lasting for their investment in the "Big Dig". Let the boondoggle begin!!

Comment

Which non-American cities are in the race so far?
            I know Paris will decide whether to bid (again! The loss for the 2012 Oly' was pretty disheartening tbh...) in the next few weeks, but I don't know about the rest...

Comment

I was surprised to see that Boston beat Los Angeles. I don't see how you can beat the weather in Los Angeles plus the fact that Los Angeles already has the Coliseum (no track) and several arenas in their area.

Comment

Originally posted by tamabi View Post
                Which non-American cities are in the race so far?
                I know Paris will decide whether to bid (again! The loss for the 2012 Oly' was pretty disheartening tbh...) in the next few weeks, but I don't know about the rest...
                Germany and Italy have been openly discussing it. With the new IOC policy allowing the Games to be held in multiple cities, there are all sorts of possibilities of Rome or Berlin being primary and some venues elsewhere. Paris was the host in 1924, so this would be the 100th anniversary of those Games, which might be a plus for the IOC. The current IOC president is from Germany. That couldn't hurt.

It will be interesting to see how this develops. It's a long process.

Comment

For Germany it would be Berlin or Hamburg, but there is strong opposition for a German bid, there would be referendums (is that the word?) in both cities and at the moment the majority in both cities is against games (which is why Thomas Bach openly questioned the need for referendums, so much for democracy and the IOC).
                  Doesn't Boston go against the new IOC ideas for smaller and cheaper games, if they'd have to build many venues?

Comment

Originally posted by Honus View Post
                    Should this actually materialize, I suspect it'll make those Bostonians forget all about the "Big Dig". As they think-back on the pain, inconvenience, and expense of that experience it'll surely be relegated to the status of "minor inconvenience" by comparison. At least they got something lasting for their investment in the "Big Dig". Let the boondoggle begin!!
                    Agreed and I don't see how they could run anything close to a break-even games. LA made a nice profit in '84, largely because most of the infrastructure was in place and this time around they would have the swim stadium they built in '84 along with every single arena, plus a new pair at USC, the Staples center, the arena in Anaheim and I would imagine that some of the lesser venues might still be around (cycling, shooting, rowing, kayaking, etc). I was unable to find an exact list of how many hotel rooms each city has, but in searching Boston and vicinity vs LA and vicinity on Expedia, the list of hotels for Boston is 260 vs 696 for LA. Should they win, this could be a very expensive Olympics to attend.
                    Last edited by bruce3404; 01-09-2015, 07:21 AM.

Comment

Where are they gonna have the mountain biking?

Comment

I know there's an inherent smilie on that last, but just in case some arent' clear on the Agenda 2020 concept, the IOC has broadened the hosting definition from 'city" to "country" basically… so having the mountain biking a hundred miles away won't bother anybody inthe slightest.

Comment

When I saw the headline the other day of: "Boston to Carry Torch for Olympics in 2024," I thought; "how cool for Ralph Boston." So much for my quick reacting brain.

Comment

Didn't shanghai host some prelim events for Beijing in 2008?

Comment

the boat sports, I believe, have long had exemptions for the in-city rule.

Comment

Working...
                              X