Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I really did not want to get in the middle of another imperial versus metric discussion, but it is significant that Atticus is a high school coach and deals with feet and inches all the time in that role. Someone like myself, who is fairly rapidly approaching geezerdom (maybe not quite there yet) has an advantage in that I am almost solely a fan of elite/world level track and field. So after 30+ years of fandom and particularly in the last 15 to 20 years with the advent of real-time results on the internet being almost exclusively in metric, I am almost completely converted at this point.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
      ….
      It should be noted that both T&FN and TN report all marks in BOTH and have for a good while. It's only this message board, whose main demographic is Geezer-American, that continues so much in Imperial.
      You clearly don't sit in the stands with everyday fans much.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Atticus
        It should be noted that both T&FN and TN report all marks in BOTH and have for a good while. It's only this message board, whose main demographic is Geezer-American, that continues so much in Imperial.
        You clearly don't sit in the stands with everyday fans much.
        I worded that poorly. I meant in the T&FN context. T&FN/TN is both; this site is heavily Imperial. Yes, I know that the hoi polloi are Imperialists! But . . . I'm betting that most post-collegiates are more comfy in metric. If you know this not to be true, I am ready to defer.

Comment

• I'm fluent in both Imperial and metric at the elite level for most events. So tell me a PV is 20' or 6m, I don't care.

But I know the PRs of most of the top decathletes in meters. And, without doing arithmetic in my head, I don't know what a 5.15m vault is in Imperial (or a 45m DT, or a 55m JT). So, for the multis, give me metric every time.

And here I go continuing to divert a decathlon thread from its main subject. Shame on me.

Comment

• As stated above, I posted on Gunnar Nixon's facebook page back in September, "Can you update your fans on plans for 2016? We're hoping you'll be in the mix for the Olympic team." He replied Oct 19: "Update coming soon. And, yes, that's the goal."

Comment

Working...
            X