Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by olorin View Post
    With all due respect to the wonderful results in the collegiate circuit, the most important competition this weekend (at least for me) is Jeremy Taiwo’s comeback in UW Invitational.

After three events Taiwo leads with 2587 including two PBs in the LJ 7.56 (7.53) and the SP 14.77 (14.18).
    After day 1 Taiwo is 58 points behind the pace of his current PB.
    Two important things to remember:
    When Taiwo set his current PB (6156) he jumped 2.25 (his second best result is 2.17)
    He had a disaster in the PV only 4.25 (SB 4.90)
    So...
    Even with slightly below par results (but no disasters) he should score well above 6200

Comment

At Minnesota... Dorsey with a 1+meter improvement in the PV today, going 4.22m and sitting with a solid 5043 points after 6, and should exceed 5700 on his first complete multi. Luca Wieland who had a good score after the first day, DNS the second day.

Comment

Originally posted by gktrack View Post
        At Minnesota... Dorsey with a 1+meter improvement in the PV today, going 4.22m and sitting with a solid 5043 points after 6, and should exceed 5700 on his first complete multi. Luca Wieland who had a good score after the first day, DNS the second day.
        Dorsey just announce himself as a major contender in the multi-events. His 4.22 suggests that he spent the last few months training in PV, which indicates that he gave up individual events for the decathlon.
        His PBs are:
        10.76-7.76!-14.18-2.23!-49.87-14.21-42.41?-4.22-58.80-NM
        He just improved his PBs in both 60 and the 60h by large margins, so further improvement in the speed events is likely.
        However, he will need to improve his throws to compete with Scantling and company.
        I can see him score ~8,000 points this summer and (hopefully) compete for a spot in the American team in the next Olympic cycle.
        Good call from gk to point him out before the season started
        Last edited by olorin; 01-31-2015, 09:46 PM.

Comment

indeed olorin... I hope Dorsey can concentrate on the decathlon outdoors. He scores so many points for his school in the jumps - but I hope this sends a signal that the multis is where he belongs.
          - Typo: Dorsey's PV today was 4.42 (not 4.22 as I stated earlier)
          - Add: Dorsey jogs it in 3:12.95 for 5644 points - hope to see him with the big guys at the iNCAAs.

Taiwo finishes with a big PR at Washington - 6344 points.
          - olorin - what do you think about Taiwo, he's looking good!
          Last edited by gktrack; 01-31-2015, 10:12 PM.

Comment

While Dorsey may be the future, Taiwo shows that he is the present.
            In his first competition after a serious injury he breaks his PB by almost 100 points.
            His last day effort includes two PBs in the 60h 8.03 (8.08) and the 1000 2:30.85 (2:34.35) for a total of 4 PBs. His 1,000 result is better than Eaton's PB!
            If his training in the last year and a half leads to a large improvement in the long throws than he may be in the top 5 come Beijing and Rio.

Comment

Looking at the original rankings, on the men's pro side, I don't see anyone knocking the trio of Eaton (automatically qualifies), Hardee or Nixon off the World's team. The good news is that the US will get a 4th entry for Beijing and if Beach manages to improve his throwing skills, he could be the guy, with Taiwo and, perhaps, Keys fighting it out for the 4th spot.

On the NCAA side, while his scores are better, I don't believe that Nillson has ever beaten Keys in a head to head outdoor competition. I know that Keys has won the last three Pac 10/12 crowns and is looking to be the first ever (yes, that includes Eaton) to win four straight (which includes wins over Taiwo and Nillson, though Nillson will have a home field advantage for the conference meet this year).

Comment

Taiwo finishes with a solid 6344, including a blistering 2:30.85 in the 1000 (almost 2 seconds faster than Eaton in his initial indoor WR and Eaton had Beach as a pacemaker in that one).

Comment

Taiwo just broke his sums of PBs by 98 points in this competition. His result (6344) is better than Krauchanka when he won a Silver in Sopot. Since 2010 only Eaton and Sintnicolaas scored a higher mark.

Re - his chances against Nixon:
                  Below are the PBs of both men across the 10 events:
                  10.84-7.56-14.77-2.25-48.11-14.16-41.80-5.00-53.71-4:16.34
                  10.80-7.80-15.03-2.17-48.37-14.13-43.32-4.80-60.44-4:22.36
                  Taiwo is better than Nixon in the four running events (mainly because of the 1500)
                  Both are about equal in the jumps - Taiwo is better in the PV, Nixon is better in the LJ and both are about the same in the HJ.
                  Nixon is (much) better in the throws mainly because of the JT.
                  If Taiwo will be able to throw 44, 60 this season then Nixon will have a hard time beating him.

Comment

Eaton in a low key meet in Saskatoon. Matched 60H PR (7.60) in prelims. Went 2.02 in HJ. Pretty good after one ur layoff

Comment

Originally posted by olorin View Post
                      While Dorsey may be the future, Taiwo shows that he is the present.
                      In his first competition after a serious injury he breaks his PB by almost 100 points.
                      His last day effort includes two PBs in the 60h 8.03 (8.08) and the 1000 2:30.85 (2:34.35) for a total of 4 PBs. His 1,000 result is better than Eaton's PB!
                      If his training in the last year and a half leads to a large improvement in the long throws than he may be in the top 5 come Beijing and Rio.
                      Could you send complete individual results of Taiwo?Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by nianchengyu1 View Post
                        Could you send complete individual results of Taiwo?Thanks.
                        6344 = 7.06 - 756 - 1477 - 213 - 8.03 - 490 - 2:30.85

Comment

It should be interesting to see just how much the poor throwers have improved as they make their push towards the Worlds and Olympics. Is there another possible Eaton in the group? Someone who can develop from a poor thrower to a World and Olympic champ?
                          I have to disagree with you, gktrack, regarding Hardee. Barring injury or a fouling out of an event, I don't see any of the young guys being good enough to knock him off the team and after Nixon's impressive showing in Moscow, I'm still going with Eaton, Hardee and Nixon. Given Taiwo's great performance over the past two days, I would list him as the betting favorite to fill out the four man team, but we should remain aware that he has been injury prone, having had hip and elbow surgeries, an arm injury which forced him to throw the jav wrong-handed at the 2011 Pac 12s (perhaps this is the same injury that required elbow surgery) and a knee injury which forced him to withdraw during the HJ at the Moscow WCs.
                          Last edited by bruce3404; 02-01-2015, 05:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jseven1 View Post
                            Eaton in a low key meet in Saskatoon. Matched 60H PR (7.60) in prelims. Went 2.02 in HJ. Pretty good after one ur layoff
                            How about the performance of her wife?

Comment

Hardee is confirmed for Gotzis, but with his track record to finish Gotzis, US trials and the WC in one piece would be quite a coup.

Comment

With Trey Hardee celebrating his 31st birthday here in a few days, I was curious as to the age of some of the major USA/NCAA contenders (age as of Feb 7):
                                31 - Hardee
                                27 - Eaton
                                26 - Moss, Bray
                                25 - Taiwo
                                24 - Horn, Beach
                                23 - Bahner, Lazas
                                22 - Nixon

NCAA:
                                23 - Nilsson, Keys
                                22 - Hock, Uibo
                                21 - Ziemek, McCune, Scantling

On the track, we could see Texas' Hock for the first time this season at the New Mexico meet this weekend (also Mahler?, and UCLA will be there: so maybe Nilsson and promising freshman Steele Wasik)... and with Akron having a home heptathlon, hopefully we'll see McCune in action as well. I also read that Lazas may be competing as a pro for the first time at next week's Tyson Invitational... hope to see them all in action soon...
                                Last edited by gktrack; 02-05-2015, 11:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X